R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #211
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

A question for the experts. Can a GT be converted to use the F-1 wings and bodies? I'm sure this has beeen asked before but I couldn't find an answer.Am i just better of getting a kit.Love the look and already have a GT.
Any help appriciated
joelwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #212
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwhite View Post
A question for the experts. Can a GT be converted to use the F-1 wings and bodies? I'm sure this has beeen asked before but I couldn't find an answer.Am i just better of getting a kit.Love the look and already have a GT.
Any help appriciated
the short answer is "yes, you can convert the GT to an F1"

the long answer can be found by scouring through here (same question asked a few times)..
TAMIYA F103 RM

but basically you're looking at a new lower/upper deck, wheel hub adapters to use the F1 rubbers/foams etc and maybe a couple other thinsg along the way...
if you've got the $$, get an RM kit.. if not, enjoy the build :P
Old 02-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Thanks for the help. Might as well keep the gt pretty and get a new kit.Love the good Tamiya bulids!
joelwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #214
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default this is kinda cool

09 Feb 09: A computer-animated clip features Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel racing on track, as they bring to life the biggest rule changes in the history of Formula One

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=10497901001
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #215
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
hi just sharing, bringing the Tamiya 312T3 up to speed with the 15th anniversary parts...

The car looks GREAT! The whole thing is poppin. LOL I know most people frown on the whole chrome thing. You know the old sane ďif it donít go fast, chrome itĒÖbut I like it. Then again I like shiny things and explosions. Sorry.

Hey 240Z, thanks for the link. Thatís a really cool illustration of the rule changes. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default F1 series

For anyone in the Los Angeles area interested... BCR will be having a F1 series starting Saturday Feb 21st

http://www.charleslightfoot.com/BCR/f1.html
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #217
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

WOW!!!
I just spent the last hour reading every post on this thread and I'm glad to see there is still interest in F1!!!!!!
My first Tamiya on-road car was a Castrol Lotus so that one in your collection Vyger is beyond awesome.
I've benn anticipating the release on the 15th since it was released on thier website months ago.....now that it is avaliable(and LIMITED) I had to pick up three of them!!!!!! Two are for racing and the other is to stay in its sealed box for eeh 20 years!!!!!
The TCS race at Trackside is one you won't want to miss F1 will be the largest class hands down. The 15th kits have been flying off the shelves here!!
Long live F1!!!!!
Matt Sunderlage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #218
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hang in there Matt, this is going to be a great year for F1. Madison has a big F1 race this year and 2010 has some big plans coming for asphalt and carpet specials for them. New USA built cars coming in to join us and new races for them. YES, Long live F1!
mxrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #219
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0 View Post
Thats great, looks like a concours winner with those stamped tires.

I'd like to see somebody do a replica of a current F1 car with the wheel covers installed.

tech racing is coming with those this month.. both in black and white.. for front and rear !
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #220
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Lots of nice F1 cars on here. I have an F103RS and wanted to replace the front suspension to an F103GT version. Will this fit, what modifications if it doesnt, and what are the advantages and/or disadvantages?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #221
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
For anyone in the Los Angeles area interested... BCR will be having a F1 series starting Saturday Feb 21st

http://www.charleslightfoot.com/BCR/f1.html
I just checked your site. You are racing for the right reason...to have fun with it. I have no doubt once the word gets around there will be plenty of people joining you.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #222
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default One of those other F1s

I thought I'd attach a picture of my son's F103 Racer and the RC Indycars Spitfire for comparison.

The RC Indycars Spitfire is based on an RC 10L4 rear pod. Its a 3 link instead of a T plate, runs 1/10 pan front and rear tires. It accepts Tamiya wings. It will be run in what we call F1 Open with a 17.5 brushless motor. Its quick. We ran it yesterday with an unpainted body against the other F103s and the mechanical grip of the tires sure makes a difference. Its not really dialed in, but the older style Corally with a silver can and an ace driver was still a little quicker than this car. It was a very tight technical track and the new car had a ton of push that needs to be tuned out of it. Its very drivable and is a nice option vs. waiting for parts from Japan.

Last edited by liljohn1064; 03-02-2009 at 08:19 AM.
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #223
Tech Elite

"It will be run in what we call F1 Open "

With a Spitfire you're supposed to say "F1 WIDE open!"
Old 03-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #224
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Painting tips please.

I just painted a body and had trouble painting the driver's arms. The paint would not stick! I used a small brush and the black paint was nice and thick and had almost no trouble but the blue was too watery and would pool in the lower areas of the creases. So I mixed the blue with the black to make it thicker but it was still not sticking well. So I mixed more black and it came out darker than I wished. I didn't prep the body - didn't wash it with soap and water. Would it have helped? The paint is water based, btw.

Do you guys paint the driver first and spray the body? Or mask the driver and spray the car first? I painted the driver first...

Any tips would be appreciated.
BTW, the f103gt body is waiting for the Ferrari decals from Hong Kong.

edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #225
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
I just painted a body and had trouble painting the driver's arms. The paint would not stick! I used a small brush and the black paint was nice and thick and had almost no trouble but the blue was too watery and would pool in the lower areas of the creases. So I mixed the blue with the black to make it thicker but it was still not sticking well. So I mixed more black and it came out darker than I wished. I didn't prep the body - didn't wash it with soap and water. Would it have helped? The paint is water based, btw.

Do you guys paint the driver first and spray the body? Or mask the driver and spray the car first? I painted the driver first...

Any tips would be appreciated.
BTW, the f103gt body is waiting for the Ferrari decals from Hong Kong.

First of all it looks like you are painting it with gloss paints, I and most people I know use flat
You might want to try wiping it down with either denatured alcohol or automotive grease and wax remover.
if you need more adhesion, you could scuff it with a scotchbrite pad
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote