R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #1921
Tech Rookie

Default 2wd F1- non pan car, rwd, ind suspension?

First post, and hopefully not a dumb question. Does anyone make a 2wd 1/10 F1 that's not on a pan car platform, with rear wheel drive? I have a 3Racing F109 that's a beast, but I like the idea of a more scale like F1 car with 4-wheel independent double A arm suspension a la Tamiya's F201, but w/o the 4WD. I have even considered getting a used 201 and running a one-way diff up front so I have brakes but no drive to the front wheels. Clearly, this is not for competion in sanctioned events. Any ideas?
Bob Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #1922
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob kelly View Post
First post, and hopefully not a dumb question. Does anyone make a 2wd 1/10 F1 that's not on a pan car platform, with rear wheel drive? I have a 3Racing F109 that's a beast, but I like the idea of a more scale like F1 car with 4-wheel independent double A arm suspension a la Tamiya's F201, but w/o the 4WD. I have even considered getting a used 201 and running a one-way diff up front so I have brakes but no drive to the front wheels. Clearly, this is not for competion in sanctioned events. Any ideas?
You can find the Kyosho car from the 90's on ebay occasionally that is set up like this. Inboard shocks, the whole shooting match.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #1923
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
the front driveshaft can be removed on the f201 if i am not mistaken...

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #1924
Tech Master

Quote:
There is this concept car from Yokomo which was posted on RC Japan on 3rd Sept 2010.
It says it uses a 380 sized motor, but have not yet heard any more on it.
I like the idea of it and am thinking of something similar using a TC rear end mated to a Pan front end.

NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #1925
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
There is this concept car from Yokomo which was posted on RC Japan on 3rd Sept 2010.
I like the idea of it and am thinking of something similar using a TC rear end mated to a Pan front end.

That is dead sexy! it just looks a litle flimsy, it definately needs central support and an upper deck. plus the rear looks very wide. but the concept is very good. i think the rear toe adjusters should be on the inside of the knuckle, not the top/bottom becuase of wheel width options.

possibly a 2 gear tranny?!?!?

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #1926
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
im drawing up some cool ideas for a IRS and standard front with double wishbones all they way around! has anyone tried to use a 380 sized motor? i would rather use one and im thinking a BL 380 would be more than more than enough power.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #1927
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

I've seen a 380 in a 1/12 running A123 Cells. I was fast, light and left everyone in the dust. Imagine all that with a better suspension.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #1928
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
To bad the MLP site isn't up anymore. **cough someone pics plz cough ** They had a sweet 2wd F201 conversion on there.
Jeff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #1929
Tech Rookie

I'd love to see that conversion! The idea I had would be to keep the front driveshaft and dogbones in place but run a one-way diff, so there would be front brakes but no drive; removing the front shaft would render this impossible. Having front brakes in a 2WD F1 car would be very cool, and I don't think there's any way to do it.

BTW, I ran an Associated 12R5 with a 2-cell, 1800 mah mini lipo pack and a Castle CM26 motor... designed for heavier 1/18 scale cars and trucks. That car ran 50+ MPH (on radar)! I can see a lightweight F1 car with a good 380 size motor on Lipos running very well indeed...
Bob Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #1930
Tech Champion

There are pictures somewhere on the internet of a 235mm pan car with an Xray diff or 1way and front end with a servo that pulls a strap or belt on the pulley for brakes. I have seen it but I can't find it.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #1931
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
There are pictures somewhere on the internet of a 235mm pan car with an Xray diff or 1way and front end with a servo that pulls a strap or belt on the pulley for brakes. I have seen it but I can't find it.
Hm.

This one?
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-pic09.jpg
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-pic10.jpg

I save them at my pc at 2009-02 but they probably come from 2008
ETS event on NL track in Europe ... or something

Regards!
m.
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #1932
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post

that's not a new concept...back in the late 80's/early 90s, there were companies that made similar conversions that took a pan car front-end and mated it with a RC10 (buggy) gear box...they pretty much had a conversion for any of the top buggies at the time

I think the company's name was agigator or something like that...
Old 10-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #1933
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
that's not a new concept...back in the late 80's/early 90s, there were companies that made similar conversions that took a pan car front-end and mated it with a RC10 (buggy) gear box...they pretty much had a conversion for any of the top buggies at the time

I think the company's name was agigator or something like that...
I know it isn't new, cos I remember racing against 235mm cars with Buggy rear ends and Pan front ends (I even had a FWD Tamiya FF01 with Manta Ray arms on it to make it 235mm running with them). I only said it was a concept car from Yokomo.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #1934
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Abramowicz View Post
Hm.

This one?
Attachment 651601
Attachment 651602

I save them at my pc at 2009-02 but they probably come from 2008
ETS event on NL track in Europe ... or something

Regards!
m.
That is it

Old 10-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #1935
Tech Adept

My name is Dave and I am the owner of Enforcer RC and we recently bought the rights to MLP Motorsports and all their designs. We are currently working on a 2WD fully independent suspension direct drive F1 car, and we will have a prototype up and running soon!

Please do not ask me for specific details as I don't wish to give away too much info to any of the competition. Suffice it to say that you all we be blown away by what we are working on.

When we are ready we will post pics and specifics of the car.

Stay tuned.
Enforcerman is offline   Reply With Quote