Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting in to 1/12

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Getting in to 1/12

Im new to carpet i ran 1/18 a little at the local carpet track and i liked it so i thought i get into 1/12. Ive ran dirt for a while and i have decidided to transform all over to carpet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey buddy, good choice!

You should really enjoy the level of controlled corner speed and clean gear that comes with carpet racing.

For a 1/12th, I am personally bias for the SpeedMerchant Rev. 5. In general, I think the move to 1/12th is a very good one. A well set up 1/12th is one of the very best ways to really get into carpet.

Probably the best spot of advice that has been echoed many times over is looking at the classes your local track supports the most. Typically, classes are 1/12th, 1/10th Touring Sedan, Pan car, 1/18th or mini's. Regardless of the class, make sure the shop supports the kit you are looking at.

Rubber tire sedan has been picking up more and more interest and larger crowds so if you like the thought of four wheel drive and less maintenance this could be a VERY good class.

If you ARE going to go 1/12th foam, a couple tips:

- cut your tires down: REAR - 1.75 or 1.7 FRONT - 1.65 or 1.6
-- get some help if you are not familiar with cutting down foams. While many people look at a larger foam tire and think, "this will last forever!" It is actually the other way around. A thinner tire will not chunk or rip as much as a larger tire and most importantly, cars handle WAY better with thinner tires. A friend of mine once said, "80% of your car is the tires" it's advice that has served me well.

- put a bead of glue on the rear tires on the joint between the foam and rim
-- glue the face of your front tires: This is typically a tuning option for carpet with really high bite/traction. However, it also really helps to keep the front tires together. As you are getting into carpet, get ready to make friends with the boards

- Slower is faster

- 17.5 is plenty fast with the right gearing. using those tires, try a 76t spur gear and a 40 tooth pinion to start. Assuming you will be running brushless.

- ride height, droop and tweak are now your mantra. learn it, live it, love it.

Welcome to the rug! Have fun!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for some tips.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Lots of good advice from the bear; I'll only disagree with his choice of rides. Not because the speedmerchant is'nt a good car; it is; but the support for spedmerchant is somewhat suspect. I'd suggest that you look at what is the most popular car at the carpet track your going to run at. You'd be wise to run that car as it'll be easier to get setup help from the locals. Barring that I'd run the BMI DB12R, Assoc 12R5, or CRC genX. All three have excelent parts and tech support.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks guys im getting a Team Corally.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Read the 1-12th scale forum thread here on RCtech. A couple of page back from the end is

http://richardchang.com/hobby.php?topic=112setup

and

http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?page_id=65

These two links have some good info.....