R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Need Help Deciding What Car To Get. Any Suggestions?

Hi everybody, im new to rc trucks but have been flying airplanes for 3 years. I need help deciding what RC car to get. I have been doing nitro but want an electric on the side. I'm looking for a 1:10 to a 1:8 on-road 4-wheel drive ELECTRIC car. I dont really want to spend more than $300 total, and i would probably like to go with a prebuilt or kit so i can have more options but still limit the amount of work, and ordering to do... like i said i am new to road-RC. I am interested in Associated, but brands dont matter much as long as i get a high quality race car for racing with my friends ect. Oh yeah, did i mention i want it to be FAST??? If you could recomend a good kit or prebuilt, and what i can do to make it fast, and stronge, but still inexpensive that'd be great. Thanks for your help ahead of time. -PRESTON-

prestonrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:02 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Send a message via AIM to ZER01

The only prebuilt electric cars I know of under $300 are the Losi XXX-S RTR(ready-to-run) and the TC3 RTR. Both are quality cars that are FAST! If I was you I would go with the Losi out of the two since it is a little bit stronger than the other. As far as making it go fast and if you won't be racing, check out novak's brushless motor system- you'll get an electronic speed controller and a brushless motor in one package and the motor will last a LONG time(no need to true the comm with a commutator lathe). If you will be racing and mod is the class, check out trinity's machine wound speed gem motors.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 06:59 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Thumbs up

Everything proudwinner said is good. Both the Losi and Associated cars are very good and offer RTR (ready to run) versions complete with radio systems already installed and fitted with pre-painted bodyshells. However, you can save a little cash if you don't mind building them yourself from kit form. The TC3 from Associated comes in Racer, Team and Factory Team specs. Both the Racer and Team versions are very good, the Racer comes with wheels, tyres, inserts and a shell of your choice (Honda, Alfa or Stratus). The Team comes without, but has lots of blue bits instead. The Factory Team comes with loads of blue bits and carbon composite parts as opposed to plastic composite parts.

I have run various touring cars and found the TC3 to be very fast AND reliable - the shaft drive is superb, more reliable than a belt drive and more efficient. Personally I would go for the Shaft driven car - the TC3 Racer is a very durable chassis (within reason - no touring car is going to take too much abuse!!)

All these cars need very smooth, prepared surfaces to run - even small stones can ground these machines, so be sure you have somewhere to run them. Visit a race track and see what all the fuss is about Good Luck.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
Tech Master
Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

dude my name is preston too and im from wisconsin... .. well any ways ahh ive tryed the xxx4 and a xxxt umm thats if for off road for on road xxxs,tc3 (tub and demon chassis), schumaher mission, umm and thats it i think...
Random Guy
Sponsored by Axiom Motors
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 05:38 PM   #5
Tech Regular
Default suggestion

TC3 all the way, availible in 4 versions:
RTR $260
Racer $160
Team $220
Factory Team $300

Tower Hobbies used to have the best deal going on the Factory, i got mine from them for $280, but the price has gone up a little. if you order this month they'll give $20 off any $199 purchase (enter #04356 for the reference number), wait till october and you get $15 off $150 purchase (#04357)
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 06:45 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Its all about the Schumacher bro! Mission.. or even better yet, the long awaited MI2 due out in a month or two!!!

holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:54 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

it won quite a few of the r/c touring car magazine round-ups.

I own the factory kit and love it, got it RTR - battery for $120 on ebay
seriousre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:01 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Get the x-ray t1r. It is an excellent kit, I just got one for me. And I have to say it is THE BEST KIT IVE EVER BUILT. I haven't quite finished, I still have to build the shocks. But everything has gone together perfectly, I've had no problems so far.

The instructions are excellent, they're color CAD pictures with very good literature. And x-ray has also premade some of the parts at the factory (the servo saver, part of the differentials, and the chassis has the bulk heads and upper plate on it, you do have to dissassemble the chassis to build the kit, but seeing it put together like that sure gets you siked to build ).

It's also very inexpensive, you can buy it for around $220. And for being one of the most competitive touring cars out there, it's probably one of the cheepest for how competitive it is. It may be inexpensive, but the parts are of the highest quality.

The kit also includes a tuning book for the car, which I've heard is very very helpful. I would reccomend this kit to anybody, beginner or experianced.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:04 PM   #9
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It gets no better than X-Ray!
Team CRC, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:17 PM   #10
Tech Elite
Thumbs up

To be fair, even though I'm a big fan of shaft driven cars - especially the Yok SD, if I had to buy a belt driven car, I'd have gone for the Xray before I'd have gone for the Losi. My friends race them and fairplay, they are smart. They have to be very well set up to work though, so I've heard. Hudy spring steel is good stuff too according to my mates.

Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote