The future of 1/12 scale

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The future of 1/12 scale

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Why doesn't 12th scale have a carbon fiber splitter that goes forward of the body like the splitter on real race cars?

I know the oval cars have carbon bumpers, but they also stay under the body.

Like the black car here:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch04.html

I'd get into F1 if it gets more popular. If I'm going for scale looks, that's where I'd head.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

2 reasons...first is safety. Carbon fiber sticking out past the body could injure a turn marshal. Second reason is carbon fiber doesn't absorb the energy of an impact. It just makes it so the chassis doesn't hit stuff. A foam bumper works much better in absorbing the impact.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vafactor
2) It would also be great if we ran tires that would last more than a couple of runs. Perhaps spec foams (or even rubber tires) could be the answer. The purple stripe lilacs do seem to work very well for the WGTs, so why not try to find a comparable combo that would work equally well on the 1/12th scale class? For me, the biggest drawback to running 1/12th scale these days has become the need to bring a couple of different tire options to each event and especially the need to true them all way way down in order to be competetive. The tire bill has become unreasonable. I can run my WGT at a very high level on just a single set of spec tires for each event, and that one set will usually remain usable for several more subsequent race days. By contrast, I'll usually use up at least 2 (and sometimes 3) sets of tires during a typical 1/12th scale race day........not to mention the need to carry multiple sets of a couple of different tire compounds...... just in case my usual tire choice isn't working so well on a given weekend. IMO, the tire bill has become the biggest downside to 1/12th scale racing. A spec tire (even if it were a rubber one) could go a long way towards reducing the cost of tires. This is not to mention that nobody enjoys spending inordinate amounts of time at the tire truing station. I'd suggest a durable and peel resistant foam tire that would come at a raceable size right out out of the package, perhaps in combination with a minimum tire size rule (to discourage tire truing).
I was hoping someone might say that in response to my question! Whilst I am not really in favour of rubber tyres (mainly because I don't think they'd actually work very well on our cars) I do think that as a class we should think seriously about spec tires in order to limit the costs for the average racer. If a newcomer knew that he could buy a couple of sets of spec tires and be on what everyone else is, the class becomes more attractive to him because the costs are more evident and it's easier to achieve a level playing field if everyone's running the same stuff.

I think a lot of it is a problem with perception - guys see people cutting tires down to almost nothing and only running them a couple of times, think that it is what's required in order to be competitive. They also think you need a hauler bag full of tires of varying compounds, sizes etc.

We all know that's not really true, unless perhaps you're competing at the very top of the class at national or international level. However, like it or not, it is the way our class is perceived by a lot of people on the outside.

If there was a 'spec' tire, colour banded, hard-ish wearing and readily available for a reasonable price then I think it has mileage. The difficulty is in getting the ball rolling. I think that if one of the major series or races (IIC, Snowbirds, BRCA Nationals, JMRCA Nationals etc...) adopted a control tyre, perhaps only for its stock class, then the concept would quickly gather steam and propagate to club level which is perhaps where it is most needed.

In the UK the above has been discussed at length, but strangely most folk seem opoosed to the idea, and some won't even entertain it as an option.

It's a difficult one, and I'm not sure what the answer is, if there even is one!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 AM
Tech Champion

There's already been a whole thread dedicated to the topic of a spec tire in 1/12th.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark Stiles
I was hoping someone might say that in response to my question! Whilst I am not really in favour of rubber tyres (mainly because I don't think they'd actually work very well on our cars) I do think that as a class we should think seriously about spec tires in order to limit the costs for the average racer. If a newcomer knew that he could buy a couple of sets of spec tires and be on what everyone else is, the class becomes more attractive to him because the costs are more evident and it's easier to achieve a level playing field if everyone's running the same stuff.

I think a lot of it is a problem with perception - guys see people cutting tires down to almost nothing and only running them a couple of times, think that it is what's required in order to be competitive. They also think you need a hauler bag full of tires of varying compounds, sizes etc.

We all know that's not really true, unless perhaps you're competing at the very top of the class at national or international level. However, like it or not, it is the way our class is perceived by a lot of people on the outside.

If there was a 'spec' tire, colour banded, hard-ish wearing and readily available for a reasonable price then I think it has mileage. The difficulty is in getting the ball rolling. I think that if one of the major series or races (IIC, Snowbirds, BRCA Nationals, JMRCA Nationals etc...) adopted a control tyre, perhaps only for its stock class, then the concept would quickly gather steam and propagate to club level which is perhaps where it is most needed.

In the UK the above has been discussed at length, but strangely most folk seem opoosed to the idea, and some won't even entertain it as an option.

It's a difficult one, and I'm not sure what the answer is, if there even is one!
I agree totally with Mark's comments. Oddly, each time that any discussion of a potential spec tire for stock 1/12th scale comes up, there's always a few vocal guys who strongly express their opinions that it should never happen. My point is this......if a spec 1/12th scale tire is never tried, then we'll really never know if it can be successful or beneficial. However, if one of the prominent events were to try out the concept even just once........then the question will be answered and the results will be available for all to see and to consider. IMO, the spec tire idea does offer enough potential benefits to merit running it as an experiment at one or two of the major events. If it flops, then it flops and so ends the discussion. But if the potential benefits that have been discussed at length do actually come to fruition.......the spec tire concept could potentially go a long way towards making stock 1/12th scale racing more attractive to those who are hesitant about joining in on the otherwise super affordable fun of 1/12th scale. For the faster classes, tire choice should almost certainly remain open. But for stock.......well, we already limit the motors and the speedos........so why not the tires too? One last thing......it's a pretty safe bet that the tire makers would probably jump at the chance of being chosen as the spec tire supplier for a given event, and they would probably offer the tires to the race organizers at a really good price.......just as they do with rubber tires for the sedans. Again, there do seem to be enough potential benefits to merit giving the spec 1/12th scale idea a trial run at least once or twice.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Exclamation

I for one would be open to the spec tire test, if

They were available in different wheel off-sets to allow Yokomo and other chassis a fair tuning window
Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Would two wheel offsets cover all 12ths? If there was one brand of wheel with one brand of foam and the wheel was offered inn "Yok" offset and what I consider the standard "BSR" offset would that allow every 12th to mount up and race on spec tires? Or are their other pods that would require a 3rd or 4th offsett option. I don't see why 2 wheel options would be such a big deal. more starts get iffy...
Old 05-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Would two wheel offsets cover all 12ths? If there was one brand of wheel with one brand of foam and the wheel was offered inn "Yok" offset and what I consider the standard "BSR" offset would that allow every 12th to mount up and race on spec tires? Or are their other pods that would require a 3rd or 4th offsett option. I don't see why 2 wheel options would be such a big deal. more starts get iffy...
the near "0" off-set on the rear BSR wheels is not the best solution for the cars I have run, and for sure this will not work on a Tamiya with a standard kit
Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

There are 4 different wheel off-sets that I know of: BSR, Jaco, Yokomo, and Pro One. If you used the Jaco off-set that will work for most cars because those that run BSR/CRC can just space out the axle for the difference. The problem will be with the Yokomo and Pro One off-sets as they put the hub in near the center of the wheel.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
There are 4 different wheel off-sets that I know of: BSR, Jaco, Yokomo, and Pro One. If you used the Jaco off-set that will work for most cars because those that run BSR/CRC can just space out the axle for the difference. The problem will be with the Yokomo and Pro One off-sets as they put the hub in near the center of the wheel.
That sounds about right as far as i know
Old 05-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions??

Not being snarky...I've never even heard of Pro One. Is that another chassis-specific wheel?

On a related note: at some point there's a downside to proprietary designs. It's not that one doesn't sympathize with or have respect for those racing an outlying car, but if the upsides to rallying around a single spec are great enough, it may be that the Yokomo or others can either adapt or be set aside for mod (or the shelf.)

I've been skeptical about the need for a spec tire. But, listening to those in our club who are considering 1/12th, and having some respect for their doubts and not merely waving them off with an eye roll, I'm beginning to think there is some merit in the idea.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

As I understand it...the Pro One design was the one that Josh Cyrul created and was selling. He then sold the design to Steve Dunn who sells them under the name Pro One. Hope I didn't get any of the names wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/ProOneRc
Old 05-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

awful lot of stuff here for 1/12 . my fave I guess with F1 as well.

My thing is whats the deal? I can open a 3000 pack or two and break them down to 4 cells and go like stink all day long with no problems and go just as fast or slow as I like.

Race cheap, race forever.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

pro-one already offers a spec tire set, we are half way there?

http://www.discountrcstore.com/Pro_O...p/prof1225.htm

http://www.discountrcstore.com/Pro_O...p/pror1310.htm

I would expect this covers the yokomo offset situation?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://www.rcmxstore.com/index.php?m...rt=20a&page=17

If you scroll down the page you'll see some spec tire donuts available from Morotech. This is helpful for those who like to make their own tires.

I might give them a try and see how they work.

When it comes to spec tires, I quite like the idea. I've been using Kyosho's new F1 spec foam tires. They work really well, and I've won every club race while using them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.