The future of 1/12 scale

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The future of 1/12 scale

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I just want to wish my boys Fred B. and Rusty whitaker good luck at the halloween classic this weekend!!!!Unleash the fury of the FRED!!!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
I know ... but you need a battery for every time you run the car.. a discharger .. a charger.. a storage case .. and on and on and on.. once again.. BLAH BLAH BLAH!
Let me fast-forward you to next year - because next year is already here...

Our TC guys are already pre-heating their LiPos, and we know some are going slightly over the 8.44v so that they are spot-on that when the car is tech-ed. Some are already buying a new LiPo as different companies release their latest thing. Most of the posts are from Club racers, not National racers. If you get to a big competition the latest LiPo will rule.

Today's NiMh are easy to use, at least as easy as LiPo. With the current crop of BL motors and the even playing field (compared to the IB war that created the NiMh problems of the last couple of years) we have drivers at National level quite able to compete with any NiMh out of the packet. They last longer, too. The majority of drivers are doing National races on three packs.

If you want to run LiPo in 12th the Rules are pretty clear for us here. No more than 4.8v, no more than four cells. But don't think that NiMh is dead - far from it. Once the LiPo floodgate opens...
Old 10-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Even if the floodgates are opened to allow LiPO, there will not be a mass exodus from NiMH. Racers will use what they want to use.. Just wish the rules allowed for a choice.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

omg .. dont risk my race site warming lipos .. waste of time . if every one would just be responsible enough ... oh never mind .. AND NIMH's Suck once u let hem sit... next subject
Old 10-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

omg .. dont risk my race site warming lipos .. waste of time . if every one would just be responsible enough ... oh never mind .. AND NIMH's Suck once u let hem sit... next subject
Just the 4200's, and if you take proper care of your batteries, you can let them sit for a little while. I have let mine sit and haven't had any issues. You might as well say Lipo's suck once you discharge them too far.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
Just the 4200's, and if you take proper care of your batteries, you can let them sit for a little while. I have let mine sit and haven't had any issues. You might as well say Lipo's suck once you discharge them too far.
They do. I cant remember how many packs I killed in my helis and planes discharging more than 80%.

So the 4600 are better at sitting? I must have 6 or 7 packs of 4200 and almost all of them are dead from sitting all summer.

DK
Old 10-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Let's be careful here. If you're not using the current NiMh cells, please don't mislead people with what happened in the last couple of years.

Let's be clear, the problem is an IB problem, and if you avoid them you have good cells. My EnerG and Orion SHO (Euro spec) cells are easy to use. They have sat for eight weeks doing nothing, and then been all above 1.0v. They've been used four times on the spin without discharging or balancing without any issues.

It would be better if we could get some decision about LiPo, and we are working on that in the UK. We'd like LiPo to be available on the same terms that it is in TC - hard cases, approved lists. Let's see...
Old 10-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

I still get bad EP 4600s and energ 4600 cells. Some are cells like to die between the week the batter was matched and when I got them.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
Let me fast-forward you to next year - because next year is already here...

Our TC guys are already pre-heating their LiPos, and we know some are going slightly over the 8.44v so that they are spot-on that when the car is tech-ed. Some are already buying a new LiPo as different companies release their latest thing. Most of the posts are from Club racers, not National racers. If you get to a big competition the latest LiPo will rule.

Today's NiMh are easy to use, at least as easy as LiPo. With the current crop of BL motors and the even playing field (compared to the IB war that created the NiMh problems of the last couple of years) we have drivers at National level quite able to compete with any NiMh out of the packet. They last longer, too. The majority of drivers are doing National races on three packs.

If you want to run LiPo in 12th the Rules are pretty clear for us here. No more than 4.8v, no more than four cells. But don't think that NiMh is dead - far from it. Once the LiPo floodgate opens...
It's called tech inspection. They just did it at the Halloween race and it doesn't take much time. 8.44v and 110 degrees were the limits. Not hard to measure and it didn't take much longer to get through tech. We can debate all day long but things are changing.

I'd like to see a breakdown of the racers at the Halloween race that were running LiPo. You'd be surprised...I saw them in "factory" cars all weekend and most were SMC's by the way.

In the end, the racers will drive the changes what ever they are and it will start at the club level. Then go to the big races. Then to ROAR rules. It is what it is guys.

If you want to try LiPo ask the guys at your club and make a decision based on that. If they'll let you run fine. If not, then you might want to wait a bit. No biggie.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

I know ... but you need a battery for every time you run the car.. a discharger .. a charger.. a storage case .. and on and on and on.. once again.. BLAH BLAH BLAH!
Two packs = 3 quals and a Main. If you run Lipo, you're still gonna need a charger, and a Lipo sack. My discharger is IN my charger, and my tray doesn't really take up any more space in my bag than a LIPO sack would. If you're following the rules as set out by ROAR, you still have to remove the pack and put it in the sack before you peak it right?

So, if you're taking the pack in and out of the car (as the rules dictate), the big inconvenience with nimh for you, is the time it takes to tray the pack, and then charge?

And if you need a storage case, you can get a Plano tray that will accomodate your Lipos and Nimh's at Wal-Mart for about $3.........
Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trailranger
I still get bad EP 4600s and energ 4600 cells. Some are cells like to die between the week the batter was matched and when I got them.
Do you dead short your packs? I betting you do. And if so, you shouldn't be dead shorting anything since the 3000's came out.

Last edited by MUDVAYNE; 10-27-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Do you dead short your packs? I betting you do. And if so, you shouldn't be dead shorting anything since the 300's came out.
Hear, hear. All the people I know follow the advice on charging and storing and have no trouble.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Do you dead short your packs? I betting you do. And if so, you shouldn't be dead shorting anything since the 3000's came out.
Who are you to accuse me of mistreating my batteries. This thread is about how to take 1:12 forward.

I am just stating the facts that I still get about 1 out of every 10 new batteries DOA.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I drove Roland's car Sunday and all I can say is wow! No tire wear and insane fast. He definitely has me hooked. I noticed no handling issues what so ever. I think this is the future. Even if this doesn't take off as a class to race, it will work awesome for practice so you don't have to keep buying tires.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trailranger
Who are you to accuse me of mistreating my batteries. This thread is about how to take 1:12 forward.

I am just stating the facts that I still get about 1 out of every 10 new batteries DOA.
I didn't accuse you of anything. I simply asked a question and then stated that I was willing to bet that you deadshort. And yes, this thread is about moving forward with 12th scale, so maybe you need to stop with the attitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.