Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who is actually going FASTER with LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default So - who is actually going FASTER with LiPo

Be honest - who is setting quicker times with LiPo than they were with NiMH, running at the same weight limit of course.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Almost anyone...everyone. (at least that was what I heard/seen from those came back from IIC)
Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I am very curious as to whom responds to this question as well.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm not sure i can say lipo is faster as much as i can say it is sooo much easier. They are very very close, with lipo possibly having a slight advantage.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

It's hard for me to say personally because I have never compared the two on the same track/ with the same layout at the same time. As everyone will readily admit, HEAT affects the performance of both technologies. Beneficially in the form of PUNCH, AND adversely in the form of LONGEVITY.
I don't know if I'm going faster than a year and a half ago because of the switch to lipo over nimh, but I do know it's because of more track time that the lipos allow for (they are so consistant run after run) & a better understanding of set-up changes......just my 2cents

Last edited by JayBee; 10-13-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't think SPEED is the issue with LIPO, it's NOT having to chase NiMh batteries...

A lot of people think LIPOs are a ton higher on voltage than a NiMh, but they are really not.

The 'average' discharge voltage (depending on how big of a pack you are running) can be .3 - .4 volts higher I believe...maybe just a tick more.

But, LIPOs can run SO consistant RUN after RUN after RUN. That is where I've seen guys improving their times...NOT from actually being faster.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I will have to say that li-po IS faster for 1 reason- you have a ton more amperage at your disposal wich given the same motor can translate to taller gear ratios when needed.For example I can run a 5.5 in my 4wheel car just atad over geared with a NImh pack without thermalling,but it feels MUCH softer out of the corners .If i put a lipo and lipo weight in the same car geared the same there is a ton more punch out of the corners, but due to the increased amperage it will thermal (speedo, not motor)around the 4-5 minute mark.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know if I went faster but I know what to expect with the lipo every round.....
Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I am absolutely going faster since going to lipo. Rather then juggling batteries between chargers and dischargers I now go on the track to get extra practice time. My times as a result have improved significantly.

Did anyone imply they were supposed to be faster? No one I've ever seen. I think most would say at the Stock level nimh is faster.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
I will have to say that li-po IS faster for 1 reason- you have a ton more amperage at your disposal wich given the same motor can translate to taller gear ratios when needed.For example I can run a 5.5 in my 4wheel car just atad over geared with a NImh pack without thermalling,but it feels MUCH softer out of the corners .If i put a lipo and lipo weight in the same car geared the same there is a ton more punch out of the corners, but due to the increased amperage it will thermal (speedo, not motor)around the 4-5 minute mark.
You bring up a good point. Does your car with either battery match the max current draw of the battery or exceed it? Everyone should be looking for batteries where you never exceed your battery's current limit, lipo or nimh. More available current does not equal more power, just more potential.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

I am faster simply because I can spend more time practicing rather than trying to manage my NIMH cells.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You bring up a good point. Does your car with either battery match the max current draw of the battery or exceed it? Everyone should be looking for batteries where you never exceed your battery's current limit, lipo or nimh. More available current does not equal more power, just more potential.
It's funny to think and talk about amperage (to me), I came from years of oval racing...

The old days of crappy NiCads, running 6 cell STOCK and MODIFIED and barely having enough battery to make a 4 minute run.

You had to BUDGET your battery, and calculate to the second what you could pull.

fast forward to STRONG NiMh cells, cells that had enough VOLTAGE to go so much faster than the old NiCad cells, and enough run time to not EVEN think about dumping.

We cut to (4) cell to slow things down, and we really pulled hard on the AMPS. (especially in 19t and Mod)

Now, we've moved to the HIGH wind Brushless Motors (21.5 and 17.5) coupled with LIPOS. The speeds are FASTER (much FASTER) than 4 cell STOCK was with the 21.5/LIPO, and the 17.5/LIPO is very similar to the speeds we ran with a GOOD 19t/4 cell combo.

BUT we are drawing such a Small AMP draw in comparison.

21.5 pulls around 23-25 amps pulling off the corners, and only averages around 15-18 amps for a 5 minute run.

17.5 pulls between 30-35 amps OFF the Corner, and only average around 20-22 amps on a 5 minute run.

The efficiency of the B/L motors AND the Lipo batteries are incredible..and these make a great tool for LONG endurance type racing too. (especially with the bigger mAh LIPO batteries)

NEXT STEP - Creating LIPO Based Rules that do NOT require the addition of 6-8 ounces of LEAD.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by rcracingkid
I'm not sure i can say lipo is faster as much as i can say it is sooo much easier. They are very very close, with lipo possibly having a slight advantage.
I have to agree with this Haynes fella.

I would also like to add...........I will never.........ever.........run nimh again.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SWTour
But, LIPOs can run SO consistant RUN after RUN after RUN. That is where I've seen guys improving their times...NOT from actually being faster.
I think you just hit the nail on the head. NiMhs will give you some faster lap times, but LiPos will give you consistantcy for a full race. I moved to LiPos and I see it in my car's performance.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Addict

Is it too soon to gloat? :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.