Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dad needs to buy a charger- please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 04:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Dad needs to buy a charger- please Help

Ok here's the deal I run nitro,and charge hump-packs-radio. My son races electric, and it's looking like he is getting ready to get a little more serious. His driving skills have really improved. It's time to upgrade to some better equipment - NIMH's for one, and a GOOD charger. I presently have a Tekin 112 but I understand you have to baby sit NIMH's when you charge them on it, I Don't have time for that, seems like all I do is set this d--m charger up for this for that etc!! What Charger would you recommend, to help make my life a little simpler. Will any of the computerized chargers auto detect a pack, set the input values and peak ect ?? then we can tweak from there ?? 6 cells, 4 cells, NICD, NIMH, hump's, radios. { Boy I don't ask for much } LOL any recommendation's !!!!! Thanks
Old 09-22-2003, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quite honestly, stick with some of the better known units out there. There are some very good lesser known chargers but you're better off going with what the hobby shops normally carry. My personal favorite is the Turbo 35 or GFX from Competition Electronics. Integy also makes great chargers. Suggest going with the 16 x 9 unit. Reedy has the Quasar.
One major decision should be whether you want a unit that will require a DC power supply or whether you want a charger that is AC/DC. Don't overlook that. Good Luck
Old 09-22-2003, 04:53 PM
che
Tech Regular

I would look at the Integy (www.integy.com) 16X7v6 Pro charger.
It charges, cycles and discharges 1-10 cells (50mah to 6000mah).
It works with a single cell for glow ignitors, 5cell rx/tx packs, Nicad's and NiMH. It now also discharges at 30amps (with .9v cutoff).

It is AC/DC so you can run it off your 12volt battery when running nitro, or plug it in the wall when running indoor electric.

However, you need to tell it what type of pack you have.
I have never seen a charger that will automatically sense the type/number of cells and then charge accordingly.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:31 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A couple good choices -

Competition Electronics GFX - It does everything, charge, discharge, motor run, and it allows higher amp draw than most other chargers with the same features. It is a little expensive though, usually around $420
http://www.rctech.net/reviews/review...futureal.shtml

Competition Electronics PitBull - Charger only, .15 - 7amp charge, adjustable peak detect. http://www.rctech.net/reviews/review...trinidad.shtml

Millenium Pro - http://www.rctech.net/reviews/review...rs_trips.shtml
Old 09-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Looking at the Integy site I think what I'm after is a unite that has {programmable memory slots} like the 16x9 or the new 16x5 with power supply. As Evoracer stated I do want to stick with well known brand. One thing with NIMH would you ever discharge at 30a as in the 16x7?? I can see using this with NICD's??.

Last edited by pecor; 09-22-2003 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

30amp discharge is nice but not absolutly necessary

Persoally I'd say go with the CE Turbo 35 GFX, they are expensive but worth it and CE has always been the best.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yep..the CE stuff is great. I currently have the Turbo 35, Integy 16 x 7 and the 16 x 9. AC/DC is kinda nice but I must admit the T35 is still my favorite. Don't know if it's important to you but the resale value on CE chargers is pretty good too. I don't mean to sway you, the Integy stuff is great also but I find the Turbo easier to use. You really can't go wrong either way.
30 amp discharge depends on who you listen to. The best source for that info is the people that match your batteries.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Default Integy

For the one with Integy, I just bought the 17x5x6. I have question hope you guys can help.
I noticed the charger's fans don't comon at all!! Whats with that?
Also I bought new 6 cells NiMh 3000 mah packs, and notived when charging, the voltage "input" got to very high level (over11V) is this normal?? But when the charge is donw, I checked the VOltage,, it only saids (8.5V). SO how can when I am charging, the voltage is so high, but when I am done with the charging, the battery pack voltage drops down to normal range?
Secondly, for the discharge function, how does the charge know how much mah the pack has in order to discharge according??
I ask this because at the begining of discharge, the charger saids D 0mah "time"
"voltage" "A"
But how can it be 0 mah? SHouldn't it start in reverse, say 2000 mah down to a certain "preset %" say 30% on a 2100 mah pack?
I can't quite figure this charger out!
THanks
Old 09-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I love my T35bl and its little buddy the Reedy Quasar PRO. This combo allows me to run multiple classes,cut motors,run lathes.IF im just going fo a quick practice night i pack light and bring the Quasar(still with 20amps of discharge so i can dump my packs)
Old 09-22-2003, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

LAWN DOGGIE:

A peak charger monitors voltage going into your pack. IT applies a charge and the pack increases in voltage till i hits a peak and starts to fall back, various grades of cells will peak in the 9-10volt range and then fall back to a resting voltage after the charger shuts off. A 7.2volt back actualy is seldom at that voltage. Chargers will show a calculated "mah" reading during charge and discharge.

Starting from 0 and counting up for charge and starting from 0 and counting up or down to tell u how much "mah" went in or came out of your pack.

A charged pack will discharge down till it hits 5.4volts and then the discharge stops, minutes later the pack will rest at a 6-7volt reading.

FYI: most dont pay attention to MAH readings.

What i am conserned with is:
Charge:
How long did it take at the rate of charge i took. For my 3300s at 6amps i expect 30minutes plus. Different packs and settings will give different times. Pick a methode and stick with it. Once i know the approx time of charge i can better determin if pack false peaked or not.

Discharge:
How long did it take to discharge? 400second packs after a race that stil have 50seconds at 30amp discharge tells me i have lots of run time on tap.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default Trying to understand more about batteries charging

IC, THANKS!
However, in this case, there is no point of selecting the pack capacity before a charge because:
The charger only stops when it detects the delta peak voltage drop. Plus I feel that the charger starts the mah count from 0. so when it saids 2000 mah on the charger after 30 minutes of charging, it doesn't mean that there is 2000mah in the pack right?
This is because there might have been a few mah in the pack to begin with. It seems like the charger only checks the "ending" point, and not the "starting point". And even the ending point mah reading is false because it really shows how much the charger put into the packs (Mah) but NOT whats in the pack at the final point!?
Is this correct?
I am confused because I thought chargers should charge batteries based on mah, i.e a 3000 mah cell should be charged to 3000 mah (full capacity), so why are we looking at the batteies' voltage??
Old 09-23-2003, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Chargers have never charged based on capacity. Some chargers ask what mah they are charging as a safety net. I know my reedy asks for it and when i charge 3000s and 3300s on the same day i just set it to 3300mah.

The mah reading almost never matches your packs stated capacity some 3300s will get 3600 on one charger but 2900 on another. The MAH reading is a calculation based on amp and time. There is no charger that can say what capacity is in your pack the moment you hook it up. None can tell you its 50% or 90% charged.

Thats why i always tell guys not to get hung up on the MAH readins on chargers. When i cycle on my T35 i look at AVerage voltage/charge time and discharge time i also look at internal resistance but pretty much ignor the mah readings.

Long story short. Your MAH readings are not the be all and end all of charging but if your charging a 2000 pack and you get a reading of 1800-2300mah on your charger you can be 99% sure that your pack has been completly charged. Just dont get hung up on the exact number as you never bet just 2000mah on a 2000mah pack.To be sure your getting proper charges i always suggest discharging right before charging that will get you the maximum capacity into the pack.

Hope it all makes sence now.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Joel,
Now I understand.
There is something strange though.
I charged a 6 cells 3000 mah NiMh pack last night. (4aA)during charge, the V reading on the charger was always between 11-12V!!! Then after the charge, I waited an hour and checked the voltage, it was 8V!
Then I tried to discharge this morning at 20A, before the discharge, I checked the Voltage again, and it was still 8V (GREAT!), but the second I started the discharge, my charger was giving between 5 - 5.5V reading!! The pack got REALLY hot within 2 minutues to a point where it was burning my hands!! SO I unpluged it. THen I checked the Voltage reading again, and now it reads 7.4V.
WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!???
FIrst of all, if there is 8V in the pack, why does my charger reads 11 - 12 V DURING the entire charging, and reads 5 - 5.5V during discharge!??? Secondly, why did the pack get soooo HOT during discharge???
THis is a brand new VERY cheap (15USD) 3000mah Speed Mind pre made pack.
Any info would be great!
Cheers
Old 09-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default Dad needs to buy a charger- please Help

pecor;

I recommend the 'Reedy' Quasar Pro or one of the 'Integy' chargers. Everything you need in one package.
The 'Integy' chargers are manufactured by the same company, so you won't go wrong with either one.

The T35 is a great Charger, but is really high end ($$$) and way more Charger than you should need at this Stage of the Game.

lawndoggie;

When pack voltages exceed normal parameters, it usually indicates 1 or more BAD Cells in the pack.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default PECOR

Hi!! I'd say you go with the Reedy Quasar Pro.
for the reason it being ac/dc! And it can charge nicd and nimh as well, plus a discharge function of up to 20amp and that it is also made by eagle racing(i think)!!!!!

and its small and compact

the other chargers mention are all great specilly the GFX!!!
its up to you sir! what ever you choose, think about it a lot of times and also ask around during races.

Peace and happy racing!!!