Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
discharging and charging explenation plz !!!! >

discharging and charging explenation plz !!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

discharging and charging explenation plz !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

Default discharging and charging explenation plz !!!!

Hi , i got my new CTXD2 discharger ( muchmore) and my CTX cell master (muchmore) .
And i was wondering when you discharge your cells on the CTXD2 do you discharge them in pulse mode or in linear mode , and at what cut off do you use .
I do like this: disgharge at linear 0.7v cut off then charge , and and the end of the meeting i discharge at pulse 0.9v cut off and cgarge them at 2000mah and then store them for 1 week.

and when you charge with the CTX cell master , what do you use , peak charge or CTX , i use peak charge.At what amp do you charge them (orion sho 4200)
what maximum capacity do you put , i put 4600 .forgot to say that i run 5cell.
What long lockout time do you use , i use 10 minutes .
And most important what delta peak do you use .i use 00mv
Also my probleme is that my sho 4200 only peak at 3900mah , is it because i used to discharge them at 0.6v and they used to be super hot, i used the nosram gravity discharger.
Thanks if you could tell me how you charge and discharge your packs to get the best out of them.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Plus discharging at 30A should keep them cooler. Of course it may take a little longer. Most recommend never discharging below .9v. There is really no reason to anyways as this the end of any usefull runtime while driving. Plus modern Nimh cells don't like going below that (reduces capacity as you found out).

Personally I would use the CTX-charge as you'll get more power from the cells with a cooler ending temp. It's more complicated to program the steps, but I think the manual explains it well. If it doesn't, have a look at the online manual for the TC1030 charger. I know it goes into great detail on the subject. Just make sure to discharge your cells before using the CTX charge. Of course if you racing Mod motors, power might not be an issue...
Old 10-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Really there is no "wrong" way of using them as long as you are not over-discharging the cells, and not over-charging them either with super high charge rates and peak deltas.

Personally I use linear on both CTX and CTX-D, for 4200's I would charge at 4.2A with the 3mv delta. No lockout, this is risky as it can overcharge cells if you have forgotten to discharge them first, you don't need it anyway as the CTX rarely false peaks. If the cells feel more than hand warm after charging, drop the delta to zero again.

On the CTX-D, linear 5A discharge to 0.7V is fine, it won't damage the cells, people tend to use 0.9V but that is dogma more than anythig else, as long as the cells don't go down to 0V you should be OK.

If your SHOs are the "EU spec" then there is a reason they peak at 3900 - the cell is actually an older 3700 cell in a 4200 shrink. A case of marketing winning the battle with truth. :slap on the wrists for Orion:
Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

ok so you would recomend me to use ctx charge.
But i have the sho 4200 non EU , but they used to peak at 4400 mah when i discharged them at 0.6v on my distro board but they also got to a temp of 60 deg c .
But know when i discharge them at linear 0.7v and i charge them they only peak at 3900 mah , even less .