Wiki Posts
Search

Gearing my TC5

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default Gearing my TC5

I know there are about a million of these threads but i need help,
I'm the owner of a AE TC5, with an LRP X11 4.5T brushless motor, i'll have a Tekin RS Pro esc and it will be used for racing, i'm looking for a balance between acceleration and speed for a medium sized track.
I'm new to BL so thats why i ask.
The spur gear in it now is a 48 pitch, 87 tooth Kimbrough.
What pinion should i get, LRP reccomend a ratio of about 9.5:1 for a small track and about 7.8:1 for a large track.
What pinion gear should i use?
Should i change the spur gear to get a better ratio?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers, Daniel.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

chk here ... www.gearchart.com . here you can print out any gearing chart you need for your application .....Im not sure what spur and pinion you need as I dont run 4.5 .. butt I do run a TC5 ..hope this helps try 18 thru 23 pinion with 87 spur depending on track ..
Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

how big is the track....i personally tune for tempurature...now i run novak motors and know that anything over an external temp of 130f is too hot..

the novaks and lrps both use neo magnets so cna load them really hard and still make tourque which is cool....you best bet is to start at the tc5 manuals recommended pinion for the motor

so...with 87 spur

Large Track at 7.8:1 would be close to a 22 (7.91) final ratio in the tc5 manual

Small Track at 9.5:1 would be a close to a 18 (9.67) final ratio in the tc5 manual

remember...watch the can temp and a warning about under gearing....if you go too low...could cause the motor to rev out or draw too much current and get hot..

when in doubt...refer to manual

John
Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help, i'll most likely go get about 5 pinions to help me gear it according to track.
Might be the best idea.
Cheers, Daniel.