R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #16
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 285 (100%+)

Too much emphasis on high end Chassis like the X Ray line that has an update every year. People feel they need the latest car to "keep up" and it can be a financial killer!

My "cheaper" Ta-05 is still competitive and 90% of people in my race class have the X-Ray's yet it's durable enough that I don't have a problem giving it a run in a car park or out in the driveway etc.
A Sponsored opinion isn't an honest opinion it's a paid opinion.

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Personally, I love the speed of a stock brushed motor in sedan. Sometimes i'll throw a 19t in.

Yes, I race.... but I dont want to race at break neck speeds and have a higher chance of breaking something should I crash, also the faster I go, the quicker parts wear out.

Secondly, being sponsored there is no point racing a car I cannot handle the speed of. I have seen a sponsored racer in mod with silly power and smash a Serpent s400 to bits.

Needless to say I doubt it gave his sponsors a good image......

What has this got to do with on road racing? Well, quite a bit.

SPEED gives you a buzz, but being SENSIBLE on the power makes it closer and less prone to breakage. I dont think there are enough slower classes of sedan and there is possibly not enough schooling for the few that enter it from a newcomer level that speed is not everything.

On road is dying for many reasons, but I think one reason is cost, and that is partly factored into the speed of the class.

VTA should help racing... As should any slower class of sedan.

Mod/19t (or 3.5/whatever in brushless talk) is a very small class (imo) but again imho I think too many people that race sedan see it as a class they "should" be in, crash and burn and then it's -1 bye bye sedan racer.

Slow is the new fast....

Maybe I simply have a blinkered vision though, I race on a very small carpet track.... The people are friendly, the amount of power you can use is limited..... but the racing is a BUZZ!
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:45 AM   #18
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by ESmith View Post
Is electric touring car racing fading away?
In general around the USA, Yes.

At my local track/LHS, we have seen a switch from Touring Car to 1/12, and the number of racers is slightly down too. We have not held a TC race in almost 2-months now, and several people including myself have sold their TC's.

We are trying to get the World GT car class started, hopefully giving the guys that used to run TC two options, 1/12 or WGT. Additionally, we have an indoor dirt track opposite the carpet track, and Off-Road has not seen much of a decline, if at all.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote