Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Has Rubber improved anyone,s experience? >

Has Rubber improved anyone,s experience?

Has Rubber improved anyone,s experience?

Old 10-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Most of my club is in there 30s we are a lazy bunch: . Rubber has been a biggest class on carpet for as long as i can remember. With our laziness, brush less and lipo fit in just right with the no maint rubber tires. Now all we do at the track is shoot the shi$# and do some setup changes.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:46 AM
Tech Champion

Could it be said that although foams are cheaper, they need more work on them to keep them good? (rotate, true, get the car covered in black bits when using softer compounds or excessive additive on a high bite track and keep the droop and gearing right when they wear and don't chunk them).

Depends if you like the "slap on and race" rubber racing, or the "look after them but enjoy some real grip" routine of foams.

I do not believe there is a right or wrong answer for any club out there to be honest....
Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tc3 team-
Some different angles...nice.
I agree with you. For a seasoned racer wanting to extract the last drop of juice from his experience, Foam may be the ticket.
For a club perhaps wanting to improve membership and make the initial "experience" more enjoyable to perspective members, rubber makes sense.

UN4racing-
Your sentiments are simillar and I definatley appreciate you sticking to your guns with regards to what and why you prefer foam.

Joel Lagace-
I dont think its laziness.
I would imagine those racers are enjoying a different aspect of racing.
For most people this is essentially their day off, and labouring over keeping up with tread wear, cutting comms and balancing nimh,s is very understandably a little too much like what theyve been doing for the rest of the week.

Keep it up Gentlemen.
Dave.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Champion

Yes, different angles of racing is always interesting

I'm a logical thinker, always wondering if I do X Y and Z what will happen, or if I just do X,Y or Z etc etc what happens then? lol.

I used to use Nitro foams on my electric touring car back in 2001. Great grip even without additive but then we had much less power to use with the sanyo 2000 cells. They didnt get too dusty either, which in todays life I think they would
Old 10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have always raced with rubber and one dey i decided to try foam in carpet. First impressions were that it`s impossoble to lose traction, at that moment I thought this is fun but after 20min of practice I got boored, because no matter how I mess up my cars setup it still is running good.

My verdict is that 1/10 is meant for rubber, it challanges you to learn about behavior of car and how to make it as predictable as you can.

Foam is for all nitro cars and really all really fast pan cars, no other way, because traction is too low.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

am i right in saying that rubber is slower on carpet than foam? i mean, in say stock class with 17.5BL motor?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last carpet season I ran 2 classes (stock & GT3) of 13 race days each which were 2 heats and a main. I did not practice because I was afraid of breaking or being ran over by trucks.

In GT3, I could probably run 2 seasons out of 1 set of foams well at least 20 race days or 60 heats. I have a truer but never used it (primarily because I don't have a hex arbor).

With stock usually my fronts could last a season and rears getting them to run for 39 races was really pushing it. Probably 30-34 races was about it. Sure sometimes I did chunk, went to find it on the track and glued it back in with goop. A few runs later they felt back to normal.

I used to run rubber all the time on carpet but got tired of broken rims on new tires, traction due to climate change or getting creamed by foams used by others. I think foam are great on carpet as long as there are certain controls or a spec tire. It can be fun without doing all the mickey-mousin around with lathes and an assortment of tires. I guessed on what would work for my track and stuck with those tires, building my setup around them. It was an interesting test of durability and I finished all my races except for 1. The season before stock was the same way as far as durability, GT3 I ran rubber.

This year it looks like rubber is ruling our carpet and foams are not allowed (for my two classes). I think it had everything to do with big races that are only using rubber tires and rubber are perceived as "easier".

Outdoors/pavement, I prefer rubber.
Indoors/carpet, I like foam.
For newbies a foam car is easier to drive than a rubber and I do see alot of newbies. If there are cost controls on tires, it does not have to be expensive.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

My vote goes to rubber !
rubber , rubber, rubber

The main problem with foam tires imho is not the tremendous amount of grip in itself, (though most cheap touring cars are not setup to be used with foam tires , out of the box) ,its the constant change in diameter. Impossible to learn how to set up a car that keeps changing. It pointless trying, or a least A LOT harder.I don't want to race with foams ever again, however time to time it can be fun, during practice.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For me the choice would be the in the startup costs.
Running foams has a higher cost due to needing to have a tyre truer and more often than not, traction compound (Paragon etc).
Rubber on the other hand is everything that all the other responses have mentioned.. consistent, easy to spec, widely available with enough choices of manufactures, compound, inserts, rims etc.
Move to rubber and you'll find everyone having more fun.. not to mention a bit of a shake-up in who the top runners are!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Isn't the situation with foam tires today similar to the situation we had awhile back with NiMh cells? Racers/manufacturers pushing the performance envelope, resulting in more speed but higher costs and dissatisfaction for all but the most committed racers? In the long run nobody gains from this. (Even F1 and MotoGP run spec tires!)

WGT class is headed down a spec foam tire path and people seem to love it. The cars are fast and fun, the tires barely wear, and chunking is low enough.

I think the WGT tires are being promoted by manufacturers (JACO first?), which is great. Is anybody doing the same thing for touring?

It won't be long until NiMh's are dead. Without changes, TC foam on carpet could go the same way.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I haven't been patient enough to read the whole thread.

I'm an avid rubber supporter, I've run both foams and rubbers... but one word of caution, if your track goes to rubber, you MUST use a spec rim/insert/tire combo... otherwise the costs go through the roof as there will be a "combo of the month", well, every month People will thank your track owner for helping them keep costs low.

Enjoy rubber,

Paul
Old 10-28-2008, 02:02 PM
mok
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lonestar
I haven't been patient enough to read the whole thread.

I'm an avid rubber supporter, I've run both foams and rubbers... but one word of caution, if your track goes to rubber, you MUST use a spec rim/insert/tire combo... otherwise the costs go through the roof as there will be a "combo of the month", well, every month People will thank your track owner for helping them keep costs low.

Enjoy rubber,

Paul
A lack of a spec for rubber tyres at the club wont mean that costs will go through the roof. If you cant afford to buy a new set of tyres every week then dont, but if you can then good luck to you. I can still win races on used tyres but I wont be setting any track records.

For me I get about 2mths out of a set of tyres before I want to replace them, but sometimes if racing is close in our year long championship I might get a new set or if there is a single day event I'm running in then I would have a set of tyres specifically for that event. Others run the same sets of tyres until they fall off the rims, whilst some throw them out as soon as the seam around the middle is gone.

I just dont see why a spec is an absolute must?

-Mark
Old 10-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Which tire makes it as easy as possible for new people to get in and stay in?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

like ed says i would support in which the most guys would want to do.
i personally like running rubber tire better for the fact that they do last alot longer.alot less maintaning on the car.and more time to concentrate on chilling wiht youre friends at the track.
i have raced foam tire alor before.and yes they are fun.but like everyone else you have to be at a certain mm to be most consistent.always on edge i feel.
with racing rubber tire its a good/very easy driving car.no changing pinion gear after every round along with ride height and droop changes.

at ouyr local track we all decided to switch to rubber...or should i say the most of us decided...and for the guys who didnt want to change over that did...well lets just say they were impressed when they ran them.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Right now my track runs stock foam Touring Car. However there is a growing movement of pro rubber tire guys (I am one of them) wanting to run rubber instead this year. I have a feeling by the spring time almost all our Touring Car guys will have switched to rubber. Its going to be an interesting season!