Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let the battery wars begin "AGAIN"

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by davepull
good post man maybe these guys will do a search on c rating read the post from repitable Like Jim from Tekin Danny from SMC and get the hint C ratings are meaningless a 28 c smc isn't the same as another brands 28c
Here we go .....

I trust Orion & Reedy C-rating`s ....

More than SMC....
Old 10-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Here we go .....

More than SMC....
Yea SMC is soooo misleading on everything

Do you think they got where they are today by deceiving people? They were the first ones on here warning people to be leery about C ratings of other companies.

Do be a hater because they wont release who makes their cells! Just be glad that Lipo's are welcomed everywhere now in the US and are mainstream in racing.

EA
Old 10-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Here we go .....

More than SMC....
Dude, you gotta be kidding.

I try not to be lured into flaming by posts like this, but I just can't help myself...

Not taking anything away from other matchers/suppliers, but of all of them, SMC has been on the cutting edge of the newest technology and FAR more honest about matching/cycling/charging information then most others.

While I'm on here, I want to mention something else....

ALL BATTERIES AND ALL BATTERY CHEMISTRIES HAVE A "C" RATING!!!

You NiCDs, NiMHs, etc etc have always had a C rating.

The C rating does NOT differentiate one pack from being better than the other. Here's an example: All of the following cells have a C rating discharge more than high enough for RC racing:Sanyo 3600, GP 3300, Intellect 4200, EnerG 4600. Not gonna take the time to check, but they may ALL have the same C rating... maybe not, but the point is, just because the C rating might be higher on the GP3300, which cell performs better on the track? Probably the EnerG 4600 by far.

Take it a step farter: a 6v 5000mah SLA (sealed lead acid) battery has a FAR higher C rating on it's discharge curve than a NiCD or NiMH 5-cell pack, so why not race them instead? Well, lots of reasons but the point is the C rating isn't the end-all measurement of a battery- lipo, NiMH, AGM, SLA, lithium, alkaline or any other chemistry.

And just for the record, you can't police C rating because the only way to tech it would be to increase the discharge rate until the pack is destroyed to find out the actual C rating...duh. That's like policing the capacity of an alkaline battery- the only way to tech it is to measure the discharge capacity.... then what do you have left? A dead alkaline!
Old 10-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here's a little info on some of the batteries I have tested just for yucks...

I use the EAGLETREE eLOGGER system in my cars to track voltage and amperage during a race, in oval in the 21.5/LIPO class a 23 amp pull off the corners has been pretty standard and about a 16 amp load on the straights is about max.

So I set up a discharger that would pull similar, and set it up so I can bench test the battery right through the eLOGGER with LIVE FEED directly to my PC. (It's kinda cool)

These are a couple of the test results.

One pack is a ORION 3200, the other is a POWER PUSH (by IB) 3800.
One test on each was a cool/room temp battery, the other was heated to about 110 degrees.

I just pulled the voltages at

30 seconds
2 min 30 seconds
5 min
(we race for 5 minutes, so it was relevant)

ORION 3200 "C"(room temp)

:30
7.36v
21.64a

2:30
6.96v

5:00
6.83v
20.77a

1758 mAh

Orion 3200 "C" (warm)

7.64v
22.01a

7.24v
21.27a

6.98v
20.90a

1740 mAh

Power Push 3800 (room temp)

7.69v
22.13a

7.36v
21.51a

7.16v
21.27a

1806 mAh

Power Push 3800 (warm)

7.82v
22.38a

7.42v
21.76a

7.23v
21.39a

1818 mAh

Also listed at the end of each run was the mAh used, and if you note there is a slight difference in AMP load. The load tool used is the same, and the increased load is due to the HIGHER voltage of the PowerPush pack.

If you notice, both packs had quite a bit of improvement with the heat, especially in the UPFRONT voltage.

Also the voltage drop on the bigger mAh pack still kept the pack well above 7.0 volts vs. the lower mAh pack.

These test numbers look virtually identical to the numbers I've been seeing with the data system ON-BOARD the car during racing.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
The C rating does NOT differentiate one pack from being better than the other.
Yes, but without it, us sticker racers would have nothing to compare

IR ratings as someone suggested, might be more helpful
Old 10-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Questions??

let's not forget what company places a 35 amp discharge gfx number on every lipo pack..yup smc they are hiding something huh?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

edited
Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tubaboy
A bucket of sand works just fine. Our flying field has kept buckets of sand around for years for when they get one going up after a headstand at full throttle into the ground.

Next year, we will be adding buckets of sand around the pit areas to also help out if a fire should ever occur.
My local off road track I race at put out sand buckets all over the pit area. After the first month or so an announcement was made stating the buckets were NOT to be used for putting out your cigarettes. Lol.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

ultimately I wish ROAR would have come up with a standardized way which ROAR legal packs have to be tested for C Rating. To me its a safety issue, maybe not for alot of the hobby, but if you got packs that are rated incorrectly (ie- higher than what they can really handle), you can have a safety issue. Seems it would go right along with there hardcased theory.

Ultimately you have to go with what works for you. I have ran the range of battery packs out there, and I go by what racers in the same class as I am for info on what is quality packs versus what isn't. Doing 1/8 scale electric, you get to learn quickly what works and what doesn't.

will there be a battery war, sure, if you let it be that way. If you honestly feel that the latest 50C pack will make you a winner, you will spend the dough. If you still get spanked, at least you feel some comfort that it couldn't have been the batteries!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

To the OP,

As I responded to your other thread that was just locked, similarly here, the issue is not the battery but the motor.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/6805648-post27.html

Now you can lock this thread too.