I'm cogging..

Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default I'm cogging..

Okay.. It's an insane idea.. But we're looking at putting a 3.5T Brushless motor into an M-04M Chassis. I understand that it only allows for a very limited gearing setup.

Can I get a recommendation on a chassis?
OR
Is there any way I can get this insane little sucker working?

I have so far looked at the TA05 IFS which I believe has the capability to be geared for the appropriate FDR, which is apparently 9 or 10.

Thanks in Advance

SuFz
Old 10-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would assume that any "racing" sedan it should work although I would be biased by the TA05. With BL you could run hotter ratio's if you want, just watch the motor temp and belt skipping. If you are having handling issues with the M04, dial out some throttle and work on the setup/tires. It might help to use sedan tires on the M04.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

You'll get it working with the M chassis but depending on how you drive it you'll splinter the stock gears at some point. The stock version is designed to run and race with a silver can motor that is about 15000rpm or so. You put that 42000rpm motor in there and you'll be doing some damage after a certain point. Which of course would be part of the fun factor. See if you can melt the transmission case not just splinter.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SuFz
Okay.. It's an insane idea.. But we're looking at putting a 3.5T Brushless motor into an M-04M Chassis. I understand that it only allows for a very limited gearing setup.

Can I get a recommendation on a chassis?
OR
Is there any way I can get this insane little sucker working?

I have so far looked at the TA05 IFS which I believe has the capability to be geared for the appropriate FDR, which is apparently 9 or 10.

Thanks in Advance

SuFz

RC Car Action put a Mamba Max 7700 w/ a 2s lipo and 1/10th foams in an m03.. did like 55mph, which is stupid for a chassis like that so it will work, but for how long is the question

A ta05 would be a much better choice, drivetrain and handling wise
Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Cogging is normally either a battery issue (battery is not good enough to supply the power that the motor is looking for), if using plus like bullets or deans they could not getting a good enough connection so it will cause cogging, or possible the receiver drops below 6 volts when you hit the throttle hard which would cause cogging.

I would check these things firt because it shouldn't matter what car you have as I can't recalll the type of car someone has that would cause cogging, maybe wrong gearing and heats up the motor but not the cause causing cogging.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or you may check your sensor cable. Mine looked fine from the outside, but when i replaced it with a new one cogging was gone.