Wiki Posts
Search

Personal Transponders - Advice/Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Personal Transponders - Advice/Info

Seeing that there's many AMBrc personal transponders around being used in electric and nitro race classes what's the best advice/info for keeping them in good shape? I personally get to see quite a few PT's in a pretty rough and sorry state, how well is your PT surviving the use and abuse of racing.. ???

Prize for the oldest PT out there still in use!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have 5 that I have had for a few years and no problems with any of them. I have a couple that I have even bought used and still work great. I think they get beat up if you only have one and use it between multiple cars. I have one for each car and I think that is what saves them. I have friends here that move them from car to car and theirs don't work right.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have 3 AMB pt's, all about 5-6 years old. Some of the cases might have minor scuffs, the tabs are removed, and I shortened all the wires. Each works just as good as the day I got them, and have had no issues at all with them. I was lucky to get them when they were cheap too
Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

As long as they are securely mounted and are not being moved around a lot from car to car they will last a long time. When they start getting moved around or falling out of the car is when the wire starts to get damaged.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have seen one that has been in use for ages fallen under a tc many times the red is even gone (meaning the number too) it is the super hard white case left
Old 09-25-2008, 05:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Looks like it's a tough life for some PT's.. others that don't get moved and are securely fitted have an easier time.

So 5-6 years old the oldest PT so far, any older ones?

Yes see them with no casing sometimes, they've definately been abused!

Quite often see the ID number blurred on the label, seems to go fuzzy so it's hard to read.. maybe need custom labels as an 'optional' item for PT's?..
Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

High quality 3M double sided tape holds my shrink-PTX to my lower chassis. For insurance i use just a dab of shoe go on one side as a last resort to holding in... Mounted down low on the chassis will protect it the longest.

I think the ones that get bumper mounted are the ones that suffer the most abuse... For me i rather never worry about loosing laps then trying to clip the start finish line a .0001second sooner buy stuffing it in my bumper foam. But then again my bumper gets use..
Old 09-25-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

Have an original AMB PT, bought about October 2002. Still works fine, has been permanently fixed in my main touring car (I think 4 in total over its lifetime so far). Wires just starting to fray around the casing so thinking I may get it cloned in the very near future

Oh and the number rubbed off yonks ago, I replaced it with my name, thankfully I am able to remember a 7 digit number LOL!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
High quality 3M double sided tape holds my shrink-PTX to my lower chassis. For insurance i use just a dab of shoe go on one side as a last resort to holding in... Mounted down low on the chassis will protect it the longest.

I think the ones that get bumper mounted are the ones that suffer the most abuse... For me i rather never worry about loosing laps then trying to clip the start finish line a .0001second sooner buy stuffing it in my bumper foam. But then again my bumper gets use..
I once saw a guy win the nats cause of that
Old 09-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Addict

Yip I've seen that happen too, to make it worse the car that was 2nd on the timing system was just marginally ahead of the winning car. My word there was colorful language being used after that one
Old 09-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

This is one of the first AMBrc transponders in the US. I think was in 2000. In fact after this release they increased the signal strength. I tested with two transponders in the same car, this one and one purchased several years later and saw about a 20% increase in the "Hits". But have never missed a lap that I know of and still use it to this day in 1/8th nitro on-road!

I don't move it from car to car except when I change cars. The part of the wire that is exposed is incased in a flexible heat shrink, the rest was wraped up in the receiver compartment. I'm careful not to kink the wire at the case or plug. Wire and plug are original!

Last edited by Bob Malphurs; 09-26-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

I guess you can't get much older than 2000 when the system first came out, I wonder how many others are still being used now.