What does racing really cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does racing really cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

guys this aint no joke i built five years ago an scca git golf for ita class road racing
the initial cost to get the car built me doing all the fabricating as i am a mechanic was
about 8,000 dollars for the car 2,000 for the trailer , 500 for the suit 200 for the helmet 50 for gloves another 150 for the shoes the head sock ! then all the support equipment tools and spares we are talking another $5,000. take into consideration drivers school you need to be licensed
for school which you need 2 weekend for the six hours is about 500 to 1500 dolars for just one then factor in one complete set of tire each weekend thats another 600.00 dollars once you pass school and only if you wanted a regional license by the time you go to your first race you will have spent 20,000 dollars noticed i havent said anything about building a race winning engine or transmission thats about another 10,000 on the low side and there are about 2 races a month pluss the brakes another 200 a weekend oh dont blow the motor or tranny also forget about hacking cant do that in full size cars besides the fact you can get hurt youll need to build another car if you total it by flipping it over at about 130 mph !
guys thats at a club level grassroots racing against cars in a street able format. everybody complains about cost this r/c toy stuff aint shit ! i do it because when i lived at home with mom and dad i had no bills i got married and bought a house i started racing in 1986 rc cars and stop to race full scale for about fgive years. and i have been back into r/c for 3years. now i got a house a woman and 2 kids. when i started racing real cars an older racer told me !
build the car add up the money you spent to build it put it in a barrel set it on fire and fill it up with the same amount 2 times ! if you can do that then you can afford to go racing.
guys racing in what ever format you do
is going to be expensive if you want to win. all this people crying about how much it cost to race dont need to be racing cause it aint cheep!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:31 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just to put things in perspective..

I race the little toys, and my dad does the big toys...

A 1/10 RC body costs somewhere around $22-24 depending on your LHS.

A Fiberglass body for a full size stock car costs around $2,000 (MidAm series). The advanced composite bodies cost closer to $4,000(ASA).
Old 09-17-2003, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by speedxl
guys this aint no joke i built five years ago an scca git golf for ita class road racing
the initial cost to get the car built me doing all the fabricating as i am a mechanic was
about 8,000 dollars for the car 2,000 for the trailer , 500 for the suit 200 for the helmet 50 for gloves another 150 for the shoes the head sock ! then all the support equipment tools and spares we are talking another $5,000. take into consideration drivers school you need to be licensed
for school which you need 2 weekend for the six hours is about 500 to 1500 dolars for just one then factor in one complete set of tire each weekend thats another 600.00 dollars once you pass school and only if you wanted a regional license by the time you go to your first race you will have spent 20,000 dollars noticed i havent said anything about building a race winning engine or transmission thats about another 10,000 on the low side and there are about 2 races a month pluss the brakes another 200 a weekend oh dont blow the motor or tranny also forget about hacking cant do that in full size cars besides the fact you can get hurt youll need to build another car if you total it by flipping it over at about 130 mph !
guys thats at a club level grassroots racing against cars in a street able format. everybody complains about cost this r/c toy stuff aint shit ! i do it because when i lived at home with mom and dad i had no bills i got married and bought a house i started racing in 1986 rc cars and stop to race full scale for about fgive years. and i have been back into r/c for 3years. now i got a house a woman and 2 kids. when i started racing real cars an older racer told me !
build the car add up the money you spent to build it put it in a barrel set it on fire and fill it up with the same amount 2 times ! if you can do that then you can afford to go racing.
is going to be expensive if you want to win. all this people crying about how much it cost to race dont need to be racing cause it aint cheep!
did you get rid car or is it in your garage?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah Troy but it is more than 4 body clips to change when you hit the wall

As Troy and Speed have pointed out it is expensive. I did not include build up and crashes in my cost as we had a good year and kept it on the road for the most part. There was that jump in Palmdale that pulled out the whole front harness on the car though.. The big part as in RC is more in maintenance most people say I can build the car and afford that $4-700 dollars but to race it you need the tools, oil travel etc. that is the $$$$ part.

I wouldn't take a dime back though best fun I spent.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by speedxl
Anybody else having problems reading this?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

...and they say money can't buy happyness
Old 09-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Guys, I'm on my cousins' NASCAR Southwest tour pit crew. We've been racing Late Models for years and they wanted to go into the tour. This was his first year and my uncle, the car owner, is at least $70,000 into it and of the five races they planned to try and run this year, we havent made one main yet. Part of it is how tight the field is. (1st to last in qualifying has been from .2 sec to .5 sec!) But still, that much money and not one main event. This weekend in Tucson is the last chance this year to make a main or the season is over for us. So I don't feel bad at all about the 6-7 grand I've spent in the last two years.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

mdawson i sold the car and parts with the trailer for 8,000 less than 30 % of what i spent ! i needed the money to put a down payment on a house when i got married, i kinda regret the sale and she's gone. the one thing you all have to remember is that when i am 60 and chilling out on the rocking chair i can look back and say i did it! to me thats priceless, and i experianced something alot of people will never feel. sitting in a field of 45 cars qualified i 20th and when that green flag drops and everything is balls to the wall and you want to be the first one into the corner and your bumping the guy in front of you and the guy in the mirror is smiling while he's drafting you at 100 mph whooooa ! thats something you dont foreget . if i had the money i would do all over again but for now r/c for life!
Old 09-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

I rolled my mustang at willow springs raceway in 2001

http://bigpimphustler.com
http://bigpimphustler.com/mustang

I lived to tell about it, so I guess you could call that a cheap lesson
Old 09-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

OUCH!
Old 09-17-2003, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My wife told me her or the toys! Boy I sure don't miss her! Racing cars is definetly alot funner and cheaper then she was!

Later,
Old 09-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by CRASH
My wife told me her or the toys! Boy I sure don't miss her! Racing cars is definetly alot funner and cheaper then she was!

Later,

Old 09-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

plus you can throw them around and bitch slap them if neccsary!
Old 09-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by holycow
[B]I rolled my mustang at willow springs raceway in 2001

http://bigpimphustler.com
http://bigpimphustler.com/mustang
Hey, the bike is intact!!!

Racing costs a lot less than marriage.

If you want to race and you're not married... let it be...

If you're married then lie lie lie.

Try to paint all your bodies the same way. They pay attention to handbags not being coordinated with shoes, but that they can't really tell.
All cars look the same to them

If you have kids, try to blame it on them. It's the kids car, it's the Mini Z for the kid etc etc.

Try to look surprised when you find a track to race on near your summer vacation spot (i really did this one wonderfully). Amazingly I had to return home for a day to deal with some business issues. On my way back I took the cars (go figure...)

If you buy online, buy something online for her, like books in Amazon. On the CC balance they all look the same (I have the damn house filled with books now).

NEVER but NEVER use a speadsheet to add all your spending if you are over 35. Chances of a coronary are enormous.

If you stopped using one thing take it out of sight. Never put the 4 chargers and 5 ESC close to one another.

If you can't sell a chassis full of hop ups CONVINCE yourself it's a rare car and treat it like a collectors item. You'll feel much better.

Don't leave half used tires around. Ditch them fast. Adding their cost mentally will depress you.

And never expect to spend less in the future. It wont happen. You'll just change to bigger cars due to poor vision (it comoes with age you know?) and that my friend , is true ruin...
Old 09-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by antoniop
If you want to race and you're not married... let it be...

If you're married then lie lie lie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.