Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber on Carpet Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default Rubber on Carpet Questions

Hi, we are about to get our tourning car track started again (after a few seasons) and have had a few thoughts about running rubber instead of foam. The main reasons are attmepts at keeping the costs down for some of our newer/less experienced racers. Most of these guys just started and have only ran 1/8th offroad. So my questions are as follows

Do rubber tires have that much less traction?

Do rubber tires perform considerably better when new? ( we dont want poeple constantly buying new sets to stay competitive)

Is there a overall "go-to" tire we could possibly enforce as a spec tire?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Champion

I did a winter series last year on carpet, the spec tyre was the sorex 24. Six round series, I put over 2 hours of use in a set of them and I set TQ on the last round, which was the 3rd overall fastest time of the series.

I'd say that any rubber tyre is going to be a lot freindlier for everyone, you dont have to worry about rollout,changing droop/setup as the tyres wear, chunking tyres and the grip is fairly consistant throughout the age of the tyre.

With any new tyre there is an edge, but I wouldnt say there is a huge difference with them. I'm guessing a good racer could find .5 to 1 sec a lap with new tyres over worn ones that are useable (but that is just a guess).

I'm sure there are plenty of other tyres that could be used as a spec tyre, just telling you about my own experiences

hth.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:15 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

you'd be surprised at how much grip rubber on carpet does have, but nowhere near what foams would give you.

i would say that for a stock racer, tyres are going to last anywhere up to 10wks. For modified touring, you're looking at 4-6wks.

Sorex are my brand of choice.

Sorex 20R gives best grip on the carpet we use (ozite).
Sorex 24R gives me good grip with longer tyre wear

Tamiya Type As give awesome wear, but not as much grip on carpet as I'd like. I'd stick to 540/Stock racing with these. Easily worth over 1000 laps (sorex for me are prob 500 laps).

</2cents>
Old 09-26-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default .............

Would definately agree with the guys above.We ran last fall/winter,used one set the whole season,did fine.Sorex 24's.I/we did find it alot more fun compared to foam too.Definately saves money too.M
Old 09-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

We had been using the CS-27 until the supply dried up. Since then our spec tire has been the Jaco Green's.

Kinda what I've seen is there is an advantage to new tires but it doesn't last very long (just a few runs). Then the tires are pretty consistent for a long time.. depending on use of course.

And this kinda is restating what has already been said but rubber tires do have quite a bit of grip. You just have to drive the car differently. Your 1/8 guys will need to get adjusted to carpet but it will probably won't be too bad because they are used to driving with less traction anyway. Generally speaking our offroad guys were better rubber tire drivers than they were with foam.

Last edited by padailey; 09-26-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If cost control is one of the reasons for a spec tire, you could consider the new Much More Sweep or Absolute series, downside of those though you will have to glue them, and they are around $30 a set.

Jaco's are also a good choice and have good wear, I have about 30+ runs on a set that I ran in Vegas and they are only a couple tenths slower then when they were new.

Sorex 28's are close to a RP30 for us here with similar lap times and wear.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

True, the sweep tyres do seem reasonably well priced, but I have no experience with them. I cant imagine them wearing excessively on carpet though.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You'll actually find that with a new set of tires, your third or fourth run will be the fastest run and then the tires will be pretty consistant for the rest of thier usable life. I have a set of CS27s that have about 50-60 runs on them and they were faster after about 10 runs then they were new.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Talking about the sweeps... has anyone tried the low height tires on carpet???
On topic we ran CS-27's last winter, very good wear, and plenty traction. We'll be using Jaco's this year, green or blue haven't been out to test yet.
Tim
Old 09-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by got2bqik
Talking about the sweeps... has anyone tried the low height tires on carpet???
On topic we ran CS-27's last winter, very good wear, and plenty traction. We'll be using Jaco's this year, green or blue haven't been out to test yet.
Tim
I have run them and they seem to have very good traction.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

We wanted the Sweeps to cost less so we decided not to glue them. This is more cost effective, and if your club racing you can choose to change the inserts to sute the track condidtion. I love to experment with different inserts, and I know if I glued the tires it will be done right.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for all the responses. I think we are looking for a premount spec tire so I'll look into the posted options.

Only other question is do rubber require any prep? For instance, heat or traction compound?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Rubber on carpet? That's just wrong....
Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Traction compound yes! I know here at Trackside Scotty only allows Jack the Gripper but if it's for your track you make the decision. There are few others out there, but Jack the Gripper is the only one i can think of off the top of my head.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KE4PJO
Rubber on carpet? That's just wrong....
It's fun man, you should try it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.