Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Evo 3, SD or Barracuda?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Default Evo 3, SD or Barracuda?

I'm currently running an evo 3 but i wanted some feed back on allthree so i can choose. What are strengths and weaknesses of these cars?

STeve
Old 09-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Evo3,SD or Barracuda?

Hey you forgot the best car (XXX-S) nuff said!!
Old 09-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

why not the pro4? 2nd place at JMRCA for a new car isn't too shabby. with 4 cars total in the top 10.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

cuda did pretty well too considering they werent sponsored
Old 09-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Best Car?? TAO4R of course
Old 09-16-2003, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You should look into the Pro 4 too..

But anyways, ask Randman, he should know... he's had/has all three
Old 09-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Everyone is going to say the car that they have. Just read the boards and see what people are complaining or praising about each then pull the trigger -- it isn't going to matter that much. They are all great cars capable of winning. Between those, it is YOU that is going to make the difference -- not the car.

(FYI, I have an SD becuase it has better parts support than Alex Racing and even the Tamiya (around here) and it seems to have less gear problems and better drive shaft support than the Tamiya and is incredibly easy to work on). PM me for more if you are interested.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Since you only named those 3 cars, I will only talk about those 3 cars. I have owned the Evo3 and currently run the SD. I also have here my friends Barracuda R2. All three cars are very nice. They all handle awesomely. And all are capable of winning any race.

Evo to me was a very nice car. Handled well. Had more room for electronics than the SD but still small room. But racing Mod with a oneway there became the stripped gear problem. Also the diffs seemed weak. Spinning the diff rings on the outdrives was common. At least for my friend (now has my Evo3.) Bending the suspension blocks were easy. Weak stock servo saver. I ran without one. Bearings were so-so (had a metal shielding come off.) Maintance easy. Diff access is easy. Spur removal is semi easy. Spur size somewhat limited. Mod needed to use strap with side-by-side cells (unless if you tape the batteries in.) I didn't like the "+" screws. Shocks easy to work on. Came with different sway bars and suspension blocks. Good quality kit. Tamiya name on it's quality.

SD. Small room for electronics unless if you do the 90° servo mod. SSG said to become weaker than the Black Graphite. Front axles and dogbones can shear or shatter just by clipping a curb or wall. People have complained about weak CHubs? Spindle? I haven't had a problem with them. Maintance is very easy. Diff access very easy. Spur removal is somewhat easy. Spur size limited to 112 tooth 64°. All arms are interchangable. Spindles and Rear Hubs can be exchanged left or right. Front/Rear sway bars are the same. No mod needed to use side by side cells. Shocks easy to work on. Shock length can play a huge role in tuning (which can be a pain for some.) Came with shims for anti squat, roll center, and/or kickup. Came with different suspension blocks. Very consistant handling. Held its settings very well during crashes. (Setup station varified.) Arms can be a bit weaker than Evo arms. Good quality kit. Parts fit perfect.

Barracuda. Small room for Electronics like the others. Tank. Arms are hard to break. Diff is strong. No need to worry about stripping them like the Evo. Outdrives seem to be very nice too. CHubs and Rear Hubs seem to be too flexible for me. Instructions are not soo good. Not a sealed diff like the SD and Evo. No sway bars included in kit. All tuning springs are black and require you to count the coils. Shocks seem good. Spur can strip easy in a crash. (SpeedWayPal system prefered or getting the aluminium supports for the "floating" shaft instead of the stock plastic ones.) Maintance is okay. Diff access is not so easy. Spur removal not so easy. Very free drive train. Car seems to be of good quality with some parts to watch for when assembling.

I dunno, can't think of too much. Anything else to add?
Old 09-16-2003, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Not really Kilruf, you pretty much covered it there, I have the SD, had the EVO3, and tried out the Barracuda. Tamiya has its problems, the SD somehow got a bad rap, and the Barracuda, I am enjoying it, along with the SD. All three have strengths and weaknesses. As Kilruf posted. Now you have to chose one that suits your needs, and the one that you can tolerate to wrench on all the time.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by KilRuf
Since you only named those 3 cars, I will only talk about those 3 cars. I have owned the Evo3 and currently run the SD. I also have here my friends Barracuda R2. All three cars are very nice. They all handle awesomely. And all are capable of winning any race.

Evo to me was a very nice car. Handled well. Had more room for electronics than the SD but still small room. But racing Mod with a oneway there became the stripped gear problem. Also the diffs seemed weak. Spinning the diff rings on the outdrives was common. At least for my friend (now has my Evo3.) Bending the suspension blocks were easy. Weak stock servo saver. I ran without one. Bearings were so-so (had a metal shielding come off.) Maintance easy. Diff access is easy. Spur removal is semi easy. Spur size somewhat limited. Mod needed to use strap with side-by-side cells (unless if you tape the batteries in.) I didn't like the "+" screws. Shocks easy to work on. Came with different sway bars and suspension blocks. Good quality kit. Tamiya name on it's quality.

SD. Small room for electronics unless if you do the 90° servo mod. SSG said to become weaker than the Black Graphite. Front axles and dogbones can shear or shatter just by clipping a curb or wall. People have complained about weak CHubs? Spindle? I haven't had a problem with them. Maintance is very easy. Diff access very easy. Spur removal is somewhat easy. Spur size limited to 112 tooth 64°. All arms are interchangable. Spindles and Rear Hubs can be exchanged left or right. Front/Rear sway bars are the same. No mod needed to use side by side cells. Shocks easy to work on. Shock length can play a huge role in tuning (which can be a pain for some.) Came with shims for anti squat, roll center, and/or kickup. Came with different suspension blocks. Very consistant handling. Held its settings very well during crashes. (Setup station varified.) Arms can be a bit weaker than Evo arms. Good quality kit. Parts fit perfect.

Barracuda. Small room for Electronics like the others. Tank. Arms are hard to break. Diff is strong. No need to worry about stripping them like the Evo. Outdrives seem to be very nice too. CHubs and Rear Hubs seem to be too flexible for me. Instructions are not soo good. Not a sealed diff like the SD and Evo. No sway bars included in kit. All tuning springs are black and require you to count the coils. Shocks seem good. Spur can strip easy in a crash. (SpeedWayPal system prefered or getting the aluminium supports for the "floating" shaft instead of the stock plastic ones.) Maintance is okay. Diff access is not so easy. Spur removal not so easy. Very free drive train. Car seems to be of good quality with some parts to watch for when assembling.

I dunno, can't think of too much. Anything else to add?
Thanx for all the info, i was thinking of purchasing an SD.

hricvcr- i have a XXX-S graphite plus and it's nothing compared to my evo 3.

STeve
Old 09-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by rc_bam226
Not really Kilruf, you pretty much covered it there, I have the SD, had the EVO3, and tried out the Barracuda. Tamiya has its problems, the SD somehow got a bad rap, and the Barracuda, I am enjoying it, along with the SD. All three have strengths and weaknesses. As Kilruf posted. Now you have to chose one that suits your needs, and the one that you can tolerate to wrench on all the time.
Very well put..there isn"t any mirical TC...but there are some that stand out better than others...you just have to pick the one that has what you need and works the best for your style of driving..
-Dave
Old 09-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Rookie

FowlerJR68- I have never driven a Evo3 but i'm just saying he left out one of the best TC's out there. I have never driven a Barracuda or a SD but compared to what I have driven I prefered the XXX-S. I'm just saying if he's going to explore the options he might as well have all of the Top Dogs in the house.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

if it's such a good car, why would a top driver quit his sponsorship and say that the car is to heavy?

Steve
Old 09-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

FowlerJr68 only mentioned those 3 cars, so I only gave what I found out about them. I have also owned the XXX-S, XXX-S G+, 2 TC3's, 414M2, YR4M2 Pro, StreetWeapon, TA03-R, MR4TC SP, Evo3, and 2 SD's. I have driven and tuned an XRay. And I currently have my friends Barracuda. It would be WAAAAAYYY too much to describe my opinions on each. But just to please you... here is my take on the XXX-S G+.

Car is very rigid. As in stiff. Drive train is nicely sealed and very very quite. Maintance is a snap. Access to diffs is simple. But loosening of the spur/belt tensioner is a must if you are to remove the diffs. Shocks are soo soo, or at least leave me feeling like I haven't filled them correctly. Although many people feel they are just fine and very simple. Droop adjustment is a total sham. It relies on very very flexible plactic that is apart of the bumpers. So your droop settings will never be correct. Most people either don't use droop or they use limiters inside the shock for droop adjustment. The car is very heavy in TC terms. Seems to be very brittle as well (arms, hubs, etc. Due to the stiff nature of the graphite.) Instructions are good. Went together good, although it was a terror to my wrists when putting it together! hehe. Servo saver leaves some people puzzled. Might not be too good. I didn't use a servo saver. Very tunable and includes high roll center mounts and low roll center mounts. Can't remember chassis cutting was needed to use the lower blocks. Also includes different kick up and anti squat mounts. GP3300 batteries didn't fit quite well in the slots. To my knowledge only 6 spur choices, 3 48 pitch and 3 64 pitch. Or you can buy a heavier spur adapter to choose your own spur. Plenty of room for electronics. Also includes different size pulley to overdrive/underdrive you car. Handling is good. Nice car and is better than the original. I liked it, but was turned off by the droop, suspension, and shocks.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Very well put..there isn"t any mirical TC...but there are some that stand out better than others...you just have to pick the one that has what you need and works the best for your style of driving..
-Dave

JDM not hard selling the Cuda? Now that's a miracle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.