Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New here and new to rc......

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New here and new to rc......

I am a total noob when it comes to rc so I plan to start off with a RTR car, a TC4. I plan to really learn setup and handling basics with it. My question is what car do I step up to when I think I will be ready to in a few months?

I read some posts from each of the major cars in the market but i really have no clue. I also read the Touring Cars Maxed Out? thread and was wondering if within the next few months there will be any huge changes in the market as in everyone making a new car?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Suspended

You're really getting ahead of yourself and worrying and wondering about things that you can't control.
Nobody really knows about any new products until the word gets out, so if you haven't read it nobody else has either.
There's no sense worrying about your next car when you don't even have your first car.
Just take your time, pay attention to what people are running at your track, and when it's time and you have reason to get something else --- then worry about it.

And read the threads here, and stop asking questions that you're not going to understand the answers to if you've been reading already and still "don't have a clue." Take your time, stop rushing things, absorb as much info as you can, and enjoy.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Gotcha. Thanks
Old 09-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayMoto
I am a total noob when it comes to rc so I plan to start off with a RTR car, a TC4. I plan to really learn setup and handling basics with it. My question is what car do I step up to when I think I will be ready to in a few months?

I read some posts from each of the major cars in the market but i really have no clue. I also read the Touring Cars Maxed Out? thread and was wondering if within the next few months there will be any huge changes in the market as in everyone making a new car?

Thanks in advance.
Well starting out with a RTR isn't a bad idea, but I think getting a ket would be a good way to start. Both X-ray and Hot Bodies make a budget TC kit that can later be up graded to their top of the line cars (if I read right). Don't get me wrong the TC4 will get you going in the right direction, but at the same time the first thing you will want to do is up-grade the electrionics to somthing a little better (reason for kit). Yes it will cost you some money for putting together a kit, which will make the RTR better to start on if money is an issue. Most of the set-up changes will be the same or about the same for all of the cars, so that is somthing that you will learn with any race cat. Also don't try to learn everything there is to know about a RC car right away as you will get really lost, I think it is better to learn a little now, then a little more later, and then maybe after a year you will know most of the stuff, or maybe you will learn most of the stuff after a few years.

As for when new kits come out, no one will really know when that stuff will take place (of the normal RC car driver). Just enjoy what we have now, and see what comes later down the road.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 251 (100%+)

For the price you will pay for a new rtr tc4 I say look through the for sale section of this site for a good used tc (just make sure they have good trader rating as a seller).
You can usually find rollers for
xray t2/t2r for around $120-150
losi jrxs for around $80-100
original corally rdx for $100-125
tc3/tc4 for around $50-100

if you want to stay brushed there are race esc that go for $35-60
lrp quantum2
novak gtx/ gt7
ko vfs1
keyence rapida
ect

cheap brushless systems can be found for $100-150
novak xbr
mamba max
mamba sidewinder

as for a radio you can find used am or fm radios pretty cheap since spectrum is out now.

Just my .02 cents.
I had a buddy who wanted to get into the hobby and I bought all used stuff of here for him,He ended up with a losi jrxs pro w/ a novak gtx and jr xr3i radio.He only spent $180.Later on if he doesnt like the hobby he can turn around part it out and get all his money back rather than if he had bought a new rtr for $250 and only got half his money back.

Last edited by nikkon; 09-20-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Suspended

Not trying to chase you off, but keep in mind especially since you're new to the hobby that buying used can come with it's upside and it's downside.
Yes, you can find great deals --- if you actually know what you're buying and know a good deal when you come across it.
But, just like buying a jalopy off the used car lot, you can also get stuck with somebody else's used, well-worn, useless, problematic, problem-child junk --- or what I like to call "O-P-P" (other people's problems).
Oftentimes they're just money pits.

Honestly RTRs are just fine to get someone started. Gives you something that gets around the track just fine, and gives you a platform that you can modify and upgrade as you see the need. And they don't cost that much. But it gives you an intro into racing, and being at the track, and meeting all the locals so you can see what the fast guys run along with giving you time to figure out if you want to stay in the hobby and if this is something you enjoy doing.

As I said before, take your time and do your homework.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you guys very much. I am taking all of your advice and thinking/weighing my options carefully. I do kinda like the idea of being able to build the kit myself.

Thanks again. Oh, and what is a good trader rating? Number range?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

I have, and race the TC4 RTR. It's a nice rugged car, that has yet to give my any problems. The stock setup is good for starting out and easy access makes it simple to disassemble and reassemble the car. upgrading the car is also easy. Parts are quite accessible and easy come by. And they'er not paying me to say that. It really is a great car.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One of the best things about Associated is the availability of parts.

Read and learn your radio instructions, understand the adjustments so you can trim the steering and throttle as needed.

Get a decent charger. Learn how to charge your batteries without killing them. Save yourself the aggravation and start out with Lipo. You don`t need the most expensive batteries. Check out www.specpointbatteries.com

Have fun
Old 09-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nikkon's post about second hand is a great idea if your technically minded. If you don't have a lot of understanding for this then an RTR will give you a cheap intro to some racing action. Buying a second hand car means buying other peoples problems so expect to repair or replace at least one or two items.

Foxxrocket: Sweet avatar!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Nikkon's post about second hand is a great idea if your technically minded. If you don't have a lot of understanding for this then an RTR will give you a cheap intro to some racing action. Buying a second hand car means buying other peoples problems so expect to repair or replace at least one or two items.
Highly agree!!!
If you're new the easiest way to get in over your head is buying a kit you have no knowledge or experience about. RTR all the way --- use it as your training ground!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

RTR or Kit, you will eventually have to disassemble parts of your car for cleaning and repair. Either way, you will know that car inside-out.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Well i have looked trought the FS/Trade forum and say some great stuff but i will go ahead and pick up the TC4 on Wed. after I get paid. Once again thanks for your help and I am sure I will be back on here to ask questions (if I can't find in search) and to see what's new on here.

Now to bookmark the TC4 topic.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 251 (100%+)

check the number under the sellers Name and post count.It says trader rating.Click the number and read through the comments left from buyers.If they have multiple good selling experiences I usually buy from those people.

Make sure you ask for lots of pics and get info on the part you getting(i.e. shocks good,diffs good, any broken parts or problems with the part your buying)

Make sure you ask when the item will be shipped and ask for a tracking/confirmation number so nothing gets lost in the mail.

or you could check eBay that way you have buyer protection with paypal.

If you need help buying used stuff pm me and Ill be more than willing to help you.I look through the for sale section multiple times a day.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Good to see guys haven't tried to steer you in the direction to get what they have. If you go RTR TC4 try to understand the basic concept of the car first. When you deside to get a better car, look at the TC5 as some of the parts may fit from the two. If you can spend the money on a TC5, from the start you will have a good car. TC5 parts are fairly easy to find and not as pricey as other manufacturers parts. I have XRay and parts are expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.