Wiki Posts
Search

1/12th Brushless Rear Pods: Balanced vs. "Friendly"

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/12th Brushless Rear Pods: Balanced vs. "Friendly"

CRC's new Gen-X pod for brushless motors, with the shortened hub and reconfigured plates, has me wondering how many of the cars out there labeled brushless friendly are merely making room for the wires versus actually making allowances for the different weight distribution of brushless motors as compared to brushed.

I know my T-Fource pod with a 27t stock motor is pretty close to balanced as is, but with my 13.5 it's way off. It's not something I've ever paid that much attention to, though until now I've only run brushed motors. I think it was Scottrik who wrote that he balances his car with the pod off. Because rear pod balance is basically hopeless? Unimportant? What's the significance of this?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I tend to wonder how important it really since it is a straight axle, which ideally should not be leaving the ground. The chassis itself is active, not the pod, side to side anyway. Of course, I could also be an idiot chattering on the internets, so take that it for what it's worth :/

Last edited by robk; 09-18-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

Other then the new GenX pod the other BL friendly cars are made so a BL motor can be put in without disassembling the rear pod. Some testing has been done with balancing the pod for BL but the general concensus of those testers has been that having the motor out of balance with a BL doesn't effect the car's handling enough to make the change. This is why some have started to balance their cars without the rear pod.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it does make a difference with the weight as a rule if the pod is off balance when you go around a corner your more likely to "diffout" in right handers instead of left handers due to the extra weight on the left side of the pod putting more force on the tire on that side and less on the right side. of course in a left hander it will make it less likely to "diffout" as you still have weight on the left side and you also have CG forces acting on the right tire. of course this gives the car a tweaked feel unless you tweak the car off balance intentional which is what I had to do in vegas at the IIC.

example I have a woods oval car with a wide rear pod and a LEFT side drive pod plate that required a reverse running motor to use it. this put all the static weight on the left side of the axle and allowed a higher left hand cornering speed. granted this was an extreme weight change on the wide rear pods but it still applies to the narrow pods of a 12th scale.

just note I have been harassing Frank from CRC to finish the brushless tplate 12th scale to replace the tfource. I have 3 of the tfources and can't drive a genx smooth enough so I like my tplates. email him [email protected] and ask about the new tplate car and when will it be out.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Robert,
To make the X-Fource all you need to do is drill three holes for the t-bar in a genx bottom plate... If you want to send me half a dozen I'll do them for you and you'll be set for life.

James Brink
Old 09-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

ok what kind of name is Yankey. Does this refer to your driving or something else?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Yankey
Robert,
To make the X-Fource all you need to do is drill three holes for the t-bar in a genx bottom plate... If you want to send me half a dozen I'll do them for you and you'll be set for life.

James Brink
James Brink.

Now there is a name I have not heard in awhile.

Man that guy is fast!