Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Integy 16x5 or 16x9 >

Integy 16x5 or 16x9

Integy 16x5 or 16x9

Old 01-15-2002, 12:17 AM
Tech Regular

Default Integy 16x5 or 16x9

I know the Integy 16x5 with the Eagle PS and 16x9 are pretty much the same, but is it better to buy the charger and power supply as separate units, or buy a combined unit, like the 16x9? I think it's a hassle to hook up the charger to the PS every time... but I heard that if a built in power supply burns out, it's a lot of trouble to fix. A separate power supply/charger would allow me to later upgrade either charger or PS individually, while a combined unit would force me to change both. What would you do?
Old 01-15-2002, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

can a step down actually spoil?...if im not wrong, its simply coils of wire in that little black box....and nothing else...

am i right? or did i get this answer for my secondary sch exam wrong?
Old 01-15-2002, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Potato,
I did buy a combined ac/dc for convenience, but recently sold it and got a Lead acid battery + DC only charger. Why I didn't get a DC supply was because if I went for a race I would not need to hook up to an AC source (imagine bring chager, DC power supply, and need to hook up to 230/120v AC).

Charging the lead battery is a _slight_ pain, but I only run a few packs a week so it ain't too bad.

Dragon,
The built in power supply consists not only of a step down transformer, there is also circuitry to regulate the output of the transformer.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Default Cory, is that you?

Stefan
Old 01-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default NOPE!!!!!!

Not ME!! Now you see my name You know I am getting one of those though! I will let you know about all the stuff when I am ready OK. Also KC decided to run 19 Rubber so he said he does NOT need you to bring foams for him OK. Talk to you later!!
Old 01-15-2002, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default ESC

Also got my Rocket max for 100 Shipped! Should be here in next day or so BTW does it come with PC software or is that optional?? do you have it if so? Thanks!
Old 01-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

The 16X9 comes with a built in 12 V PS right? Is 12 volts enough to charge an 8 cell pack? I've tried charging my 8 cell transmitter batteries on my Tekin B112A charger with 13 V ps, but I can't get it to peak. It keeps stopping before the charge is finished with the 'not enough power' error message. I think the pack voltage goes above the power supply's voltage range! Maybe a 14V ps could fix this? I'm thinking this might happen with the 16X9, so instead I might get a 16X5 and buy a higher voltage PS.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

12V or not is not the problem. Check simply if the charger can handle 8 cells. Some may not. FYI my Eagle CDC (old charger) handled my 8 cell TX pack no problems.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Tech Regular

I'm positive the charger can handle 8 cells. I remember people using it to charge huge packs for drag racing. I think the voltage input it can take is from 12V to 24V.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Potato
I think the voltage input it can take is from 12V to 24V.
Better check up on this. I don't think it can take input THAT high.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi all,

Thanks to Alvin for selling me his CDC. After ripping it apart a few times.

Here's what I found out. The "internal" power supply is actually a TDK switching power supplies rated at 12V, 12.5Amp, 150W. If you need the actually electrical and mechanical specification, let me know.

The CDC has no problem handling my TX pack which consist of 8 x Sanyo NiMh. I can charge it with no problem, and I can discharge it as well.

Now, whether you would like an external power supply, it is up to you. For me, I like an integrated charger and I don't use lead acid battery. For Alvin, he prefer that, so I guess he sold it to me.

Also, Don't have too high of expectation from the internal power supply. when I tried to connect my Eagle pocket charger which charge at 4Amp to it, the CDC reported of too low of voltage to work correctly. I guess it is usable for powering so stuff, but not good enough for a second charger.

By the way, you should be able get Switching Power Supplies from your local electronics store. In Singapore, you should be able to get AC/DC switching power supplies rate at 16A. the last time I checked, it is SG$160.

I don't think the CDC charger can handle an input up to 24V. Anyway, if given more than 12V, the voltage regulator will kick in and bring it down to 12V.

To Dragon:

The CDC come with a switching power supply. It doesn't have big heavy transformer. So, it is pretty light. Switching power supply work differently than a regular set-down transformer and regulator.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Alvin and ongbenghui,

I have the BC112A
there's a chart here, http://www.tekin.com/chart2.gif
Old 01-17-2002, 04:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi! Everyone,

Anyone here has tried Super Brain 959 from MRC (Model Rectifier)? Seems like a pretty good and flexible charger at such an attractive price. At USD46.99 from Tower Hobbies, it allows charging at rates: 0.5A, 1.0A, 1.5A, 3.0A, 3.5A, 4.0A, 4.5A and delta peak voltage thresholds settings at: 5mV, 10mV, 20mV, 30mV, 40mV, 50mV.

Seems really great except it accepts 110V input which can be easily stepped down using a transformer. Even after shipping from the U.S., the price still seems low compared to many other chargers.

Anyone has even read any reviews on it. It'll be great to know that.