Tamiya TB-02

Old 01-13-2008, 12:38 AM
mep
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Thanks W55. I made sure he built the shocks correctly... we both opted for the stock 2-hole piston setup, as a starting point. This just reminded me of another small variation though... I used AE 40-wt oil, and he used the kit-supplied Tamiya 400 yellow oil. My front camber is at -2.5 & rear is -2 degrees... his is at -1.5 degrees all around(much more practical). I'm starting to realize that the two cars have quite a few small differences that are probably adding up to the noticeable difference in handling.

Can't wait to get out & drive it some more. Hoping to put it on track next weekend & do some test runs with it. I'm sure some hop-ups will come soon, but for now I'm getting used to the layout again... it's been a while since I've wheeled an AWD car, but I'm loving it.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

mep,

The TB-02 is a good rally car too. . by the way nice bodyshell you got there.

cheers...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mep
Thanks W55. I made sure he built the shocks correctly... we both opted for the stock 2-hole piston setup, as a starting point. This just reminded me of another small variation though... I used AE 40-wt oil, and he used the kit-supplied Tamiya 400 yellow oil. My front camber is at -2.5 & rear is -2 degrees... his is at -1.5 degrees all around(much more practical). I'm starting to realize that the two cars have quite a few small differences that are probably adding up to the noticeable difference in handling.

Can't wait to get out & drive it some more. Hoping to put it on track next weekend & do some test runs with it. I'm sure some hop-ups will come soon, but for now I'm getting used to the layout again... it's been a while since I've wheeled an AWD car, but I'm loving it.
The stock shock oil is garbage...tell your friend to get some AE or losi shock oil(80wt will work well with the 2 hole pistons too). With touring cars, small changes usually mean big changes
Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

I am the proud new owner of a TB Evolution III Surikarn edition. Any suggestions as to what I can do as far as hop-ups? Anything about these cars that you suggest I should change. I will be racing asphalt pro stock so just let me know.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jheimb4897
I am the proud new owner of a TB Evolution III Surikarn edition. Any suggestions as to what I can do as far as hop-ups? Anything about these cars that you suggest I should change. I will be racing asphalt pro stock so just let me know.
There isn't any additional hop ups needed for that car.

Just make sure you have the hard suspension arms, rear uprights, and front steering knuckles
Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
There isn't any additional hop ups needed for that car.

Just make sure you have the hard suspension arms, rear uprights, and front steering knuckles
I agreed with that. I had both Evo III (with TA04 hard arms) & Evo IV (with LW rev. arms)... somehow, (probably due to my poor skills) I still prefer the old TA04 series arms which are dead solid and durable! I have yet to break parts on that as compare to my Evo IV with several caster block and rear hubs breakage...

Depending on your plans for the car, if your local TAC race still allows the use of TB02/EVO III chassis, you can either convert it to a hop-up TB-02 for GT2 race or run it on stock class race. It is still a GREAT car provided you are able to get parts support locally.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Tech Adept

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...roduct-id=1004

Will this work on my EVO III? I was just curious if most parts are interchangable throughout all evos with some modification.

And yes I am allowed to race it all my local track, but what is TAC?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jheimb4897
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...roduct-id=1004

Will this work on my EVO III? I was just curious if most parts are interchangable throughout all evos with some modification.

And yes I am allowed to race it all my local track, but what is TAC?
Yes. it worked... but you need to ensure you are running with the LW rev. arms in front like those on 415s and EVO IV
Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

I was at the track today and I was practicing with this guy who was driving an Evo IV decked out in all green aluminum. Looked really great, I think I may invest on these parts as I did see them on eBay. $135 is a little steep, though the Tamyia blue conversion costs $115. I did see a bunch of pink, green, and blue aluminum and clear plastic parts. I think I may, at least, invest in some bling for my new ride. I own a Surikarn, so it would be like a Christmas car!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

I took my TB02 for a parking lot bash today with tamiya rally block tires. it was fast, fun and nice rally . Until........i hit the curb, but i still love this car..

I have stock alot of TB02 parts like spare arms, uprights, centre shaft etc....
but never in my mind i would come accross this problem.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-02-tb02-rear-crack.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Kaboom!!

Ouch! Looks like it really slammed hard into the curb. Hmm... Think I may need to invest in a couple TB-02 Tub chassis myself...
Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thudtheace
Kaboom!!

Ouch! Looks like it really slammed hard into the curb. Hmm... Think I may need to invest in a couple TB-02 Tub chassis myself...
yup, before they get discontinued

wow, you still got alot of NIB spare kits.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Yup, The EVO V I just ordered and is on it's way. The TA-05 is really spare parts for the TA-05R, and I'm just itching to build my TRF-415. I also have an old tamiya super-hornet nib. My TB-02 is my parking lot racer, great for rocks, pebbles and stupid millipedes that get all over the track! Hopefully the chassis won't get discontinued anytime soon since they are producing new drift cars out of them.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KREATOR1
I took my TB02 for a parking lot bash today with tamiya rally block tires. it was fast, fun and nice rally . Until........i hit the curb, but i still love this car..

I have stock alot of TB02 parts like spare arms, uprights, centre shaft etc....
but never in my mind i would come accross this problem.
My buddy just did that to his when we went up to practice for TCS(his is GT-2 legal). It was the funniest thing ever to see the whole suspension destroyed...never have seen it done before. I think it was due to his driving style...

I had my TB-02 all set-up for GT-2 with a 13.5 and a 5.0 FDR!!(52T spur and 27T pinion). Really fast and handles really well. The groove was really set from the Novak race at Trackside...so my type A's would squeal every turn!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anyone seen a spool or locked diff sold for this car? I know Tamiya doesn't make one, but I thought i had seen another company. People have tried making their own, but they don't seem to last as long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.