Wiki Posts
Search

looking for motor/esc(brushed) combo

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default looking for motor/esc(brushed) combo

hi there people....need some input here. i have a TT01E that im running right now. want to upgrade the motor/esc on it. i want to stay with a brushed system though because i have a lot of 7.2 packs that i just recently purchased. what would you guys recommend that will be able to be somehow competetive?? thanks!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You can still run a brushless system with a 7.2 Nimh pack .
You are not required to use lipo's with a brushless system.
But if you going to stay with a brushed esc I would recommend
a Novak GTX . You can usally find them used for a good price on the
for sale section in Rc-Tech.

Dynodan22
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

what will be the drawback if i use the 7.2 NiMh pack with a brushless system instead of a Lipo pack??? less power/runtime???
Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jun_1.8T
what will be the drawback if i use the 7.2 NiMh pack with a brushless system instead of a Lipo pack??? less power/runtime???
No draw back at all other then Lipo will have more run time. But if you are racing it really does not matter since length of races are not that long anyhow. I use Nimh's with brushless systems all the time.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Yeti35
No draw back at all other then Lipo will have more run time. But if you are racing it really does not matter since length of races are not that long anyhow. I use Nimh's with brushless systems all the time.

thanks a lot for clarifying that...im really a newbie with electric cars. with that said....ill be getting a brushless system then.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

so anyways guys....what will be a good brushless esc/motor combo then??? nothing crazy...maybe something average because i'm on a budget too. thanks!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

so anyways guys....what will be a good brushless esc/motor combo then??? nothing crazy...maybe something average because i'm on a budget too. thanks!
If you are on a budget look at the Novak XBR/motor combo kits. If you think you may end up racing at all then I may suggest looking at the Losi Excelorin/Motor combo kits. The last one can be had for cheaper then a Novak GTB/motor combo. I have nothing against Novak and in fact still have some speedos lyin about, but I just wanted to try the Losi speedo and it is a little cheaper then the GTB and is programmable by software as well as the one touch button on the speedo. Stay with a sensored system if you have any plans on racing at all.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Yeti35
If you are on a budget look at the Novak XBR/motor combo kits. If you think you may end up racing at all then I may suggest looking at the Losi Excelorin/Motor combo kits. The last one can be had for cheaper then a Novak GTB/motor combo. I have nothing against Novak and in fact still have some speedos lyin about, but I just wanted to try the Losi speedo and it is a little cheaper then the GTB and is programmable by software as well as the one touch button on the speedo. Stay with a sensored system if you have any plans on racing at all.
thank you sir....
Old 09-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

thank you sir....
No problem at all.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I can second the recommendation for the Losi Xcelorin system. I just installed the Xcelorin 10.5 setup in my car and I'm more than happy with the results. I had to run 17.5 this weekend and my buddy Alex loaned me a Trinity Duo 17.5 motor and it worked flawlessly with the Xcelorin controller.

BIG thanks to Larry Fairtrace for recommending the Xcelorin to me at Delaware two Sundays ago, and also for answering a bunch of setup questions...