Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question???? >

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

The single cell lipo is not out of the question for the World GT class but the problem is we would have to figure out what motor to run, Because there is no way to get the gear ratio you need out of a 13.5 or even a 10.5
Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
Everything sounds fine EXCEPT Jaco only. Let some of the other manufactures have a shot............like BSR ummmmm

Remember lets not get tooooooooo many classes, thats what is killing our hobby now!
It would be great if everyone could make a WGT tire using the same foam and hopefully BSR can in the near future. Then everyone could have their brand loyalty and all companies are involved.

There is at one other manufacture that is interested in making the spec type tire right now but does not want to do it in a Lilac compound.

EA

Last edited by EAMotorsports; 09-24-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Obviously Scotty thought enough of it to choose that over LiPo when he made the decision about the rules for this class. If you want to voice your disagreement with him youre welcome to. I dont have a problem with either but I just want to keep things consistent with what they ran at the IIC and are going to run in Cleveland in a couple months
FYI, Scotty talked to and had the World GT Car manufacturers as a group come up with most of the rules.

Scotty and the car manufacturers wanted the first WGT race to be a sucess so everyone wanted to run KNOWN power systems from current 1/12th cars. I think most of the WGT cars can be fitted with 3200-5000mah lipos in a single (3.7v) or 2 cell (7.4v) configuration. Unfortunatly, before the IIC there was not enough Lipo testing to know what was up.

I know guys are running Lipo 21.5, 17.5 and 13.5 now. Speak up and let us know what you are seeing and we can talk about the rules and move forward
Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Only one other manufacture is interested in making the spec type tire right now but does not want to do it in a Lilac compound.

EA
I heard about that and that is not very nice. I hear they want to do double pink which will hook up more, be a little faster and wear faster...especially outdoors.

I don't understand the problem they have with the 38S Lilac compound. They can source the foam no problem.

One compound takes a lot of guess work and cost out of setting a car up. We dont need two competing standards.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I see what you're sayin Adrian...If they decide to run this class at the Snowbirds Im sure that LiPo of some sort will pretty seriously factor into the discussion. I figure that NiMH ought to be teh way to go at this point for consistenc sake but that will allow for time to work out the proper configuration and mAh limts for LiPo batteries.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

the New SMC saddle packs are here and make a great fit for saddle pack style cars like BMI & AE cars...trackpower has a good pack out as well but its 30mm tall...the SMC is like 24mm tall and fits good on the BMI and AE.

4 cell 17.5 WGT cars were running pretty much same times as 13.5 touring cars at the first FSEARA race in Casselberry FL this past week.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I know guys are running Lipo 21.5, 17.5 and 13.5 now. Speak up and let us know what you are seeing and we can talk about the rules and move forward
We've been running the 17.5 and lipo, but I'm going to try the 21.5 this evening. Helps to have two matching cars that can be run back to back.

I'll post back by friday on how they compaired. We have two other racers who are running the 13.5/4cell and since the track does not change, very easy to use thier cars as bench mark for the track that evening.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why must we constantly have the LIPO vs. Nimh debate for every freakin' class of car that comes along? The rules for this season have been established, and I would hope that We could all follow them. Lipo will not be the miracle you all think it will. People are already taking measures to improve their Lipos performance, and it WILL shorten the life of the cells. If we all have to take these measures to be competitive, then we'll be right back where we were with the IB's. The cars are excellent with the current formula, and most folks have a charger and a discharge tray left over from their Nimh days. If not you can pick these things up pretty cheap because of all the LIPO hype. EP's and Ener-g cells behave nothing like the bombs that IB gave us just a short time ago. They are consistent, durable, store well, and provide AWESOME performance. Can't we leave this class some time for growth before we pollute it with these stupid arguments?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

IMO Spec Racing should be left at the club level. Put that thought aside, I feel cost control should be part of every racing format.

Tires could be one area of cost control. Allow only 3 compounds from any manufacture, and there can only be two compound choices for front and rear. The tires must be marked as a cost controlled item. (Differnt colored foam band on tire or other hard to duplicate or hard to transfer feature.)

Example. PINK, MAGENTA, PURPLE. Fronts, Magenta and Purple, Rear Pinks, Magenta. The compound selection would be up to the manufacture and that selection would be in effect for one year to prevent manufactures from making an "event specific" tire.

Batteries and Motors were once a consumable item. Allow any manfacture, do not limit Capacity on batteries. With 3.7V lipo & Burshless looking promising, I would like to see a pack and motor restriction to only 2 packs and motors per event. Arrive at the event, get your motors and batteries teched and marked and those are the only motors and batteries that you can use for qualification and mains. Rule not enforced for practice.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by trailranger; 09-24-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

EA

You have a PM!

Monti

Last edited by Monti; 09-24-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Question about the spec tire issue...why cant the Oval spec/street spec tires be used in this class? I mean they are easy to see with the stripe in them and cost is less because of the type of foam right? So would the compounds work for this class like they do in Oval? Just wondering why there is so much debate about a spec tire when there is already a 1/10th scale spec tire in oval why not use it here too.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Why must we constantly have the LIPO vs. Nimh debate for every freakin' class of car that comes along? The rules for this season have been established, and I would hope that We could all follow them. Lipo will not be the miracle you all think it will. People are already taking measures to improve their Lipos performance, and it WILL shorten the life of the cells. If we all have to take these measures to be competitive, then we'll be right back where we were with the IB's. The cars are excellent with the current formula, and most folks have a charger and a discharge tray left over from their Nimh days. If not you can pick these things up pretty cheap because of all the LIPO hype. EP's and Ener-g cells behave nothing like the bombs that IB gave us just a short time ago. They are consistent, durable, store well, and provide AWESOME performance. Can't we leave this class some time for growth before we pollute it with these stupid arguments?
No, because these keyboard jockeys can't stop speculating what would be ideal in THIER world. After experiencing the joys and wonders of the 'no maintenance' lipo, I, too would love to have the 'set it and forget it' attitude for 12th scale cells.

At this point, SMC has JUST released (or are going to) the single cell lipo for 4 cell cars. I would like to see a REASONABLE GESTATION PERIOD from the release to the public until actual rules are set, and they are allowed in big time racing. We now NEED time to figure these batteries out and what is required for racing in this class with these new cells. We also NEED to allow the racers the time they need to acquire these batteries for use in competition.

Let's not turn a potentially great class and an already awesome class (12th) into a cluster-f... overnight just because some over-anxious keyboard jockeys can't help themselves. The future for 4-cell racing is not now, it is still in the future.

As for the tires, what part of 'the lilac tires worked awesome' don't people understand? If other tire companies want in, they must produce a 37 shore natural rubber foam tire on a specialized/customized rim. Or, maybe it's a special colored foam. As long as it doesn't detract from the look and performance of this class.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Timmay makes a fine point. World GT has the potential to be an excellent class (and as a side effect could benefit the Pro10 GTP class of cars as well). We need to let this class grow as it stands right now (4 cell 13.5 as outlined by the IIC and the US Indoor Champs) and give this a year to grow and mature and develop. Developing this class is like a fine wine. It will take some time.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Champion

Just a thought but tyre compound will be more important than tyre brand, try to make the tyre choice as hard as possible without sacrificing too much grip.

Makes it a bit easier to look after them, i'd hate to see a good class ruined by one run tyres and the constant truing of them.

If you can all run the same compound then great. Even better if you can get a group discount on the tyres, but as said before, being brand loyal has its down side too. idk...
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Well, I ran 17.5 lipo and 21.5 lipo last night in my Darkside car. This is a small 40'x60' track, but the layout has been the same for the last three weeks.

I hold the fastest lap and most laps in 5min with the 17.5 and lipo, BUT the fastest lap between all options are now less tha 0.15/sec. I have turned the same number of laps with each, and all were the same lap as my fastest TQ run. I did over gear the 21.5 for one heat to see if it would get a little faster so, as usuall there is a sweet spot in each motor for a track with acceleration and speed.

In my opinion, the 17.5/lipo is maybe a tick faster(better acceleration), the 13.5/4 cell middle of the row and the 21.5 probably just a tick off.

But at the club level, I'd run all three, just like VTA and let the racers run what they like. Bottom line with all these, a good chassis and driver trumps the motor battery if similar.

Disclaimer - I've been racing RC cars for 20+ years, I'm not a-main material at a national level, and spend my own cash to race toy cars. I buy what works for me and work very hard to promote rc racing ... helping start a new club here in Colorado when our carpet track closed.

So take it for what is worth (or not) and lets get more cars on the track!

Now if I could get my hands on the Jaco Spec Tire's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.