R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is all this spec stuff really needed?spec tires- Batteries - Bodies?
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #62
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64 View Post
I say yes to GTP bodies as long as they are realistic, Protoform has and soon Parma will have GTP bodies for 200mm cars and look at some of the cool bodies comming out from Japan. I think most of the so called realistic bodies from HPI don't look that great, look at the IIC they had to slam the bodies just to make tech, so why not a GTP style body they look alot better than most.
I think they raised the roof height from 95mm to 104mm just beacuse of that issue.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

I WANT IN!!!!!

Finally get a car worth getting into topics like these......

Explain to me this:

"Front End must be “sliding king pin style”. No independent A-Arms."

Can anyone so me a picture? Or are we still in the realm of pan cars here?
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
rob, i'm building up my 10l3t for worldGT as we speak and it is very easy to get it out to 200mm.. a single axle shim both sides in the rear or one on the left and a 1" right hub (the 10l3t's is 7/8) and then shim the fronts 5mm each side.. are you running on asphalt? i'd love to trade setups as we get these going...

once the class is established i'd love to see to classes of cars running on the same track just like sebring.. corvettes and bmw's letting gtp's pass.. too me that is fun..
We do just that here. We are running 235 and 200 mm cars together, and the classes are split into GTP and GT. It is kind of cool seeing the mix of cars on the track. Jim Rose has been winning a lot of the races with his 10L3T and a Protoform Corvette, so just like Sebring its not always the fast class leading the race. I just put a Protoform Sophia on my 10 L3T and it made a huge difference compared to the HPI TVR I had on it, the car works great now
Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've not posted for sometime and several posts would not post. That's why the short post above. Look I've seen these Keyboard jocks saying we should have spec tires- Why ? Foam tires last longer that Rubber tires.The problem now is if you ask the fast guys they say to true the tires to almost paper thin for best results.I've been waiting for this class for 5 years. Several weeks ago I ran old but new Blue fronts and green rears.They ran okay but switched to Purples and pinks and it ran better.No I did not true the tires to skin on a rim size.The foam tire is a money saver by itself compaired to Rubber tires.
Bodies :I ran an old Mercedes AMG and it ran well against the Corvettes and Totoya Supra and Saleen Mustang.On Batteries We used 4 cells but I would like to use lipo. Unfortunately my car Chassis does not have a way to attach lipos as my car design is over 5 years old But I can make it work with some time. I believe everyone ran a 13.5 at least I did and that motor is fine with me.One thing that did bother me was the manufacturer pushing this did not make an attempt to show up to help promote this class.This coming month there is another state race FSEARA in Daytona in which these cars will run as a promoters class.Why not come over and help promote the class.We had ten cars at the last race in Orlando.By the way the New Corally car won.And for the next race I will be switching bodies to the new Protoform Alfa.
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Apparently, nobody has tried the old HPI NSX. The body is realistic, but has the same general shape as all those "funny" Japanese touring bodies-little greenhouse, kinda blunt nosed, big wing.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7087/
Robk ... I've got the 7483, more rounded body to try as well.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

On the tires, I saw the Jaco and now BSR for thier spec. Does anyone know if the CRC spec tire is going to be similar as well?
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #68
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just allow a lipo battery option with whatever BL motor and I'm there...

Bill
Old 09-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I think that having a LiPo option is perfectly alright...eventually. Right now this is still a newborn class and we cant go putting so much into making new options and regs and what not and run the risk of killing the class before a good following can be developed. I think using the 4 cell option for now is fine (it allows for racers from oval and 12th scale to run this class in addiotion to anybody coming over from TC) while the class grows until we can work out a proper LiPo option and get it tested and spec'd
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #70
Tech Elite

funny, i run tc and don't see any 4 cell packs in my box.. infact i dont see any nimh.. i'm all for the spec tire especially if they are reduced cost, BUT THEY HAVE TO WORK EVERYWHERE....

odpurple, you running on asphalt?

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #71
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
funny, i run tc and don't see any 4 cell packs in my box.. infact i dont see any nimh.. i'm all for the spec tire especially if they are reduced cost, BUT THEY HAVE TO WORK EVERYWHERE....

odpurple, you running on asphalt?
Yes, we run on asphalt, some parking lots and some commercial tracks. That is why I have an issue with spec tires. Some of the tracks we run on have very low grip levels and a tire that is good on carpet will not have enough bite for the low grip tracks. That being said, the solution might be to have a spec tire with one "option" rear tire that could be used for low bite. That's not much more expense to the racer and would cover pretty much any condition you might find
Old 09-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to stulec52 Send a message via AIM to stulec52

We here in Western Canada are just trying to get this class up and running for our winter indoor season.

There has been a lot of interest locally in it, and I think primarily the reason for the interest is that it is spec class.

So, we are going to use the latest rules as is, maybe add a couple of bodyshells, specify the cells a bit better ( 4600 Limit, ni-mh or ni-cd only)
and go with 13.5 or lower, and go have some fun for not much cash outlay.

The biggest thing we are facing locally in Touring Car is the fact that so many new cars come out so often, many racers feel they have to buy this weeks' new car just to compete.

The beauty of WGT is that it's basic chassis technology, you don't need to spend lots, and everyone starts from a very even footing.
Sure, the same drivers may well end up at the top, but the student, the school kid, the Dad of 3 kids, all those types who would love to race but can't spend enough to make them feel like they have a chance, now can feel like the only thing standing between them and a win is their own skills.

That has to be better for our hobby IMHO.

Thanks
Stu
Old 10-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Im just dyin to break out my Pantoura and Hitec radio (while I save for a Spektrum) and run some WGT action
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

we have a class at the '08 Region 12 Paved Electric Champs

October 25th and 26th atn Ripon Rc Speedway

http://www.riponspeedway.com/Files/'08_Region_12_Paved_Electric_Champs.pdf
Old 10-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #75
Tech Champion

And my partially assembled CRC Gen X-10 kit was placed in OD Purple's more than competent hands tonight to prep for the Region 12Regionals. Expect a rocket when I drop a lipo and 13.5 motor in it...per our local rules.

Bill