R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #661
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
i guess the bigger problem is that some people forget this is a spec class. do the rcgt tires "work" ? i guess it depends of definition.. the tires are terrible, the cars push like freight trains or ocean liners, but everyone is using them and the racing is good.... for wgt its a little different.. for some tracks the cars have a very difficult time with traction or wear given VERY specific track conditions, but in general most pan car tires "work" in most places meaning the cars roll forward and are able to navigate the track.. that said if your club has a spec tire rule, than everyone is equal and it's all about driving their cars as they are... this class is not supposed to be 12th scale where every .001 of a second matters.. its about having a class option that is not based on the 4wd touring platform that all the other classes are based on..
Amen
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #662
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
i guess the bigger problem is that some people forget this is a spec class. do the rcgt tires "work" ? i guess it depends of definition.. the tires are terrible, the cars push like freight trains or ocean liners, but everyone is using them and the racing is good.... for wgt its a little different.. for some tracks the cars have a very difficult time with traction or wear given VERY specific track conditions, but in general most pan car tires "work" in most places meaning the cars roll forward and are able to navigate the track.. that said if your club has a spec tire rule, than everyone is equal and it's all about driving their cars as they are... this class is not supposed to be 12th scale where every .001 of a second matters.. its about having a class option that is not based on the 4wd touring platform that all the other classes are based on..
agreed. the 1/10 235 gas onroad class was pretty well established with 2wd and a spec motor. but then somebody got the idea it would be fun to add 4wd and turbo motors. the lap times and cost of the cars bumped into the 1/8 gas class and then evaporated.

i don't know what the spec should be, just as long as it is simple and enforcable and consistant.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #663
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
agreed. the 1/10 235 gas onroad class was pretty well established with 2wd and a spec motor. but then somebody got the idea it would be fun to add 4wd and turbo motors. the lap times and cost of the cars bumped into the 1/8 gas class and then evaporated.

i don't know what the spec should be, just as long as it is simple and enforcable and consistant.
Honestly the only real modification Id make to the spec that was already established was to add some new bodies to the body list and maybe using non-boosted or timing advance ESCs like in VTA. other than that I kinda like it as it is (despite some disagreement no doubt from our Euro buddies)
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #664
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The present rules are just fine.Bodies - if they submitted them they might get passed.Some race spece tires some don't.If an club wants to make there own spec tires or bodies just post them so everyone know the rules. What's so hard about that?
Let's see how many show up at the Snowbirds this year.How many show at the pre-snowbirds races here in Florida- this sunday and next Sunday?I'd be willing to bet more of these show up than RCGT.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #665
Tech Regular

Well I'll be at the Snowbirds racing World GT, and will do the same at the IIC which we all hope can continue.

It seems to me the World GT rules work well for large carpet meetings like this - credit to Scotty for this. It's the spec tyres that make this my preferred class when travelling over to the US for these meetings. Certainly cuts down the weight and space for kit...and knowing the Sophia shell is the one to take is actually a help.

Where the rules haven't worked as well is on larger outdoor tarmac tracks. Whilst I have been to a smaller outdoor UK track where 1S and 10.5 motors are spot on, but run out of puff on larger tracks.

I also know of some racers in other classes who'd prefer to run 2S batteries (with a slower motor to accomodate). Some have been running this for a while, and recent UK meetings have included this as an option.

Bodies are an interesting topic. I respect the original vision of front-engined rear-wheel drive GT cars. We've broadened that out to a wider recommended list for the BRCA in the UK, recognising our love of mid-engined GT cars in Europe. There are lots of 200mm shells available (list available if that helps) and I've raced both a Lamborgini Gallardo + Lotus Elise/Exige. I've yet to find one that is as competitive as a Sophia indoors though!

Thanks
Mark
MarkBurgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:52 AM   #666
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBurgess View Post
Where the rules haven't worked as well is on larger outdoor tarmac tracks. Whilst I have been to a smaller outdoor UK track where 1S and 10.5 motors are spot on, but run out of puff on larger tracks.

I also know of some racers in other classes who'd prefer to run 2S batteries (with a slower motor to accomodate). Some have been running this for a while, and recent UK meetings have included this as an option.
Mark

Just curious, how many mAh did you have to put back in the 1s lipo on that smaller electro track and the 1/8 track? What temperatures did you motor and esc reach in a race? What 1s lipo's are you running? how many mAh etc.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #667
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBurgess View Post
Well I'll be at the Snowbirds racing World GT, and will do the same at the IIC which we all hope can continue.

It seems to me the World GT rules work well for large carpet meetings like this - credit to Scotty for this. It's the spec tyres that make this my preferred class when travelling over to the US for these meetings. Certainly cuts down the weight and space for kit...and knowing the Sophia shell is the one to take is actually a help.

Bodies are an interesting topic. I respect the original vision of front-engined rear-wheel drive GT cars. We've broadened that out to a wider recommended list for the BRCA in the UK, recognising our love of mid-engined GT cars in Europe. There are lots of 200mm shells available (list available if that helps) and I've raced both a Lamborgini Gallardo + Lotus Elise/Exige. I've yet to find one that is as competitive as a Sophia indoors though!

Thanks
Mark
Have the Euros thought about having a GT2 option of 2S/17.5? I think that would work well indoors and out as its not so fast that youd see cars blowing over but it still could have enough get up and go for the larger outdoor tracks?

Here in the states you dont have a ton of really large flowing tracks like you do in say England or Germany (places like Speedworld in Roseville, CA or Jackson RC in NJ do come to mind though) so a 1S/13.5 option works well here
Old 01-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #668
Tech Elite

bump
Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #669
Tech Elite

bump
Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #670
Tech Elite

I thought Id give this a bump and get debate going on this again. I know that Ive heard of WGT run with 10.5, 13.5 and 17.5 motors and 1S and 2S battery configurations so I thought Id revisit the possibility of having a GT1, GT2 and GT3 kind of...I guess you could call it a global spec of some sort.

Like GT1 is 1S/10.5 (as the "top class" I figure Id speck the hotter motor), GT2 is 1S/13.5 and GT3 is 2S/17.5 or something.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #671
Tech Master

The GT10 national series is going to start here in the UK in a couple of weeks time. There are 3 formulas, 1c/mod, 1c/10.5 and 2c/17.5. Personally, I have only ran 1c/10.5 as that is what I have for my 1/12th car, however, I have put a 2c stubby LiPo in with a 17.5 to try out at the next meeting at Ardent on Sunday. A friend of mine has run (and won!) with both 1c/10.5 and 2c/17.5 and he thinks that it is about correct with the extra weight that the 2c cars have to carry and none has a clear advantage over the other. I have not tried out a mod motor with a 1c LiPo, but I would imagine it would be good fun!! Anyway, I am happy to post some pics from the meeting on Sunday, and then the first national meeting from the same venue in a couple of weeks time. Cheers, Chris.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #672
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
I thought Id give this a bump and get debate going on this again. I know that Ive heard of WGT run with 10.5, 13.5 and 17.5 motors and 1S and 2S battery configurations so I thought Id revisit the possibility of having a GT1, GT2 and GT3 kind of...I guess you could call it a global spec of some sort.

Like GT1 is 1S/10.5 (as the "top class" I figure Id speck the hotter motor), GT2 is 1S/13.5 and GT3 is 2S/17.5 or something.
There are already too many other classes at an event. I would rather say the motor choice is dictated by the venue and still have WGT run together.

Last edited by liljohn1064; 03-21-2012 at 02:20 PM.
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #673
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
There are already too many other classes at an event. I would rather say the motor choice is dictated the venue and still have WGT run together.
This is true. Itd be nice if there was enough interest and/or organization to be able to try a pro series like they do in the UK where wingman is from for touring and WGT
Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #674
Tech Regular

Hi, Our local club races our own brand of WGT. Rules are:
200mm pan car any chassis.
Any 200 mm body that fits.
Spec lilac tires, any width.
17.5 turns, 1S Lipo and any esc
We have around 13 entries every race and more cars being built. A lot
of fun and relatively not expensive. Most of the faster cars are now using
1 3/4" tires in the rear so everyone is changing over to these tires.
Here is photo of my CRC GENX-10LE. Regards
Norman2
Attached Thumbnails
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????-img_0001.jpg   World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????-img_0002.jpg  
Norman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #675
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At our track we have at most 6 WGT racers and not all show up every week. Now if we split those up into three classes ......... No more WGT at all.

Sorry, but you're not going to get any support for additional classes at our track.

Regarding bodies, the DB9 is dominating the series with the Sophia a near second followed by the Ferrari.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote