R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #646
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
Your so wrong- I started racing probably before you were born.When I started there was just 1/8th gas 2wd and 1/12th. Yes there was Tamiya with a over complicated 1/12th car that nobody would touch.Everyone bought Associated-Bolink or Leisure-MRP.When the off-road started Tamiya was out there with there plastic junk. You break a part and you have to by a tree of useless parts to get the one part on the tree. Associated with there gold tub RC10 changed that.
Tamiya has always been a way to start a class with a plastic whatever. Every time they tried to make something to race it failed. The one exeption is there very pricey TC car.There off-road cars never made it past the WinterChampionships in Lutz ,Fla (Feb).
I was born on the 10th Anniversary of D-Day, before RC was invented, so I think you've got that wrong. I started racing before 12th existed, so looks like you got that wrong too. And as for the bit about the Tamiya cars - three strikes and you're out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinJ View Post
The thing that on-road is missing is promotion. When I started racing in 1980, the R/C magazines at the time covered on-road races and had advertising from manufacturers. The magazines at the time were mainly airplanes but they had race coverage.

RCCA didn't come around for about 4 more years. I really miss Competition Plus!

The magazine today are geared to backyard bashers not racers. Race coverage is rare and there is no advertising by on-road companies.

On-road needs more coverage and investment by the manufacturers.
That old argument again. Name me one sport - any sport - where they promote the races and not the people. There isn't one. All sports promote their people, their stars, in the papers, on the TV, in adverts, etc. No sport relies on reports of its events for promotion, and certainly not on explanations of how it works.

If you want to promote RC, find a couple of good personalities and promote them. Until that happens, we will be where we are. Which, as far as I am concerned, is not a bad place to be. After all, I've been here for over 35 years!!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #647
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tamiya has made nothing but plastic car kits for years.Personalities promoting R/C maybe you have heard of the Guy that Advertises for Burger King- Armorall and Old Spice -#14 Tony Stewart( He owns The r/c car company).Richard Petty also had R/C cars by Bolink. I think they are pretty good names?
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #648
Tech Elite

Tamiya has made nothing but plastic car kits for years.Personalities promoting R/C maybe you have heard of the Guy that Advertises for Burger King- Armorall and Old Spice -#14 Tony Stewart( He owns The r/c car company).Richard Petty also had R/C cars by Bolink. I think they are pretty good names? slowOne I'm still older.
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #649
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
i race at the track that the OP did and we do not run WGT anymore. the biggest reason was that the spec did not work at our track. the lilac tires made it difficult for even the seasoned racers to get a setup that was consistent. so the racers that we had consistently show up slow migrated to other classes. the problem with this is that if we were to "not" spec those same guys go to the bigger races and did not want to run a setup that would not be used at the big races..
Our club track is having similar issues. We have racers who travel, me included, that can get the tires to work, but when is the last time you ever ran a pan car with the same tire front and rear. Seems like this was put in place by someone who runs touring cars. Started at IIC and has not changed. Yes, if the tires were a better choice (still would be spec front and rears) it would be easier to make it work, plus you would not need to be down in to the 2.10 range to start with to make them work. The fast guys will still be fast, but for the rest of us, we would have a bigger sweet spot to work in.

Quote:
our most consistent class is 1/12 and i believe that the reason is 2 fold. first is that the class is raced nationally and we follow the "roar" rules. and second, those rules work on our track conditions. but the big thing that keeps the class stronger is that we have a core group that always race 1/12 and this group is competative on a national level.
I really think that the 1/12 scale class is like 1/8 nitro on road. Cars have remained constant, as far as rules. There have been changes to the cars, power plants, bodies and tires ....... but the things work the same, it has also kept alot of racers involved for more than a year or two. I just wish we were back to Stock and Mod to get the car counts up. Tough running 2 or 3 motor winds and open or spec ESC's .... just decreases the number of racers.

Lastly, I would like to see some different bodies as well. More realistic to full size stuff. At speed, what is the preceived difference from a Sophia and Mazda 6????
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #650
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
Our club track is having similar issues. We have racers who travel, me included, that can get the tires to work, but when is the last time you ever ran a pan car with the same tire front and rear. Seems like this was put in place by someone who runs touring cars. Started at IIC and has not changed. Yes, if the tires were a better choice (still would be spec front and rears) it would be easier to make it work, plus you would not need to be down in to the 2.10 range to start with to make them work. The fast guys will still be fast, but for the rest of us, we would have a bigger sweet spot to work in.

I really think that the 1/12 scale class is like 1/8 nitro on road. Cars have remained constant, as far as rules. There have been changes to the cars, power plants, bodies and tires ....... but the things work the same, it has also kept alot of racers involved for more than a year or two. I just wish we were back to Stock and Mod to get the car counts up. Tough running 2 or 3 motor winds and open or spec ESC's .... just decreases the number of racers.

Lastly, I would like to see some different bodies as well. More realistic to full size stuff. At speed, what is the preceived difference from a Sophia and Mazda 6????

I dont know how they came up with the lilac compound that is being used for WGT tires but maybe if somebody could work out a compound that would work on asphalt as well as carpet that may help things. a compound that has good wear characteristics right out of the package no matter the surface...maybe even have a couple compounds. Maybe not completely open tire so as to create a potential tire war but have two or three that all would work well and leave it to the racers to find what works for them.

As for the body situation...one of the things that makes VTA so popular is that though they have some degree of spec in the bodies, they are bodies that most people recognize...muscle cars that were running in the heyday of the Trans-Am series...and the fact that they arent massaged to look like doorstops actually helps slow them down which makes it a drivers class that is also a ton of fun. That goes back to a point I made in the Body Debate discussion and that is to open things up, let folks like Protofrom know what things youd like to see and let them see that there is a significant enough segment that would buy those bodies and they may give it a go.

Just my thoughts though.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #651
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure what your issues were with the Lilac tires. At first we had a hard time racing the WGT on the carpet but after some work with set ups these now stick like glue with the same Lilac spec tires.

Just like every other class out there, you just can't take a car out of the box and expect it to perform first time like a champ. We spent some time setting up the CRC and AE WGT cars and pass that set up to the new racers in the class. This works great because they all benifit from our learning curve. Currently the only other road class is 1/12 and since we went to 17.5 there the lap times are slower than the WGT.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #652
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

in forida for our state series we said see ya to the spec tire rule from the start.. ironically, lots of folks run them...

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #653
Tech Elite

run purple fronts and pink rears-carpet or asphalt.Then as. Tally said we've got people running the lilacs.I've run the lilacs at two different carpet tracks and they run great.My teammate ran purple and pinks.It's simple open tires, they both wear very good.

Last edited by BullFrog; 12-30-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #654
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We haven't had any issues running the spec tires on carpet in so cal. In fact I built my serpent s100 box stock and was able to run in the top 3 with no setup changes ( some drivers weren't even running the spec tire). Now that I have worked more on the setup it is much better so as far as i can tell on carpet there is definetly nothing wrong with the spec tire?

Those of you that say that the tires don't work on your track, what are the conditions like? What traction compounds are you using? What isn't hooking up ? ( push, traction roll, loose?). Just saying a tire doesn't work doesnt let anyone make an informed decision or find a solution. To me it just says you gave up.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3

Last edited by tunerjetta29; 12-29-2010 at 07:17 PM.
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #655
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerjetta29 View Post
We haven't had any issues running the spec tires on carpet in so cal. In fact I built my serpent s100 box stock and was able to run in the top 3 with no setup changes ( some drivers weren't even running the spec tire). Now that I have worked more on the setup it is much better so as far as i can tell on carpet there is definetly nothing wrong with the spec tire?
Exactly.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #656
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

must be us then. I will make sure to tell dumas that he know nothing about carpet and pan cars

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #657
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
must be us then. I will make sure to tell dumas that he know nothing about carpet and pan cars
Again you haven't said anything about what's wrong with them, only that they don't work. If there is an issue I'd expect you would be able to clarify. Not make vague statements. But hey if you want to do that and not help the class to progress then more power to you.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #658
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I dont think that is what he was saying at all...I think he was trying to see if there was something maybe deeper than just the tires "not working" on your surface. Mike Dumas is probably one of the top onroad racers in American history. Now Im in VA and Im curious as to how the WGT compounds would work on the asphalt in CHesapeake (and on the carpet as well), unfortunately the shop/track Id want to test on doesnt stock them.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #659
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i guess the bigger problem is that some people forget this is a spec class. do the rcgt tires "work" ? i guess it depends of definition.. the tires are terrible, the cars push like freight trains or ocean liners, but everyone is using them and the racing is good.... for wgt its a little different.. for some tracks the cars have a very difficult time with traction or wear given VERY specific track conditions, but in general most pan car tires "work" in most places meaning the cars roll forward and are able to navigate the track.. that said if your club has a spec tire rule, than everyone is equal and it's all about driving their cars as they are... this class is not supposed to be 12th scale where every .001 of a second matters.. its about having a class option that is not based on the 4wd touring platform that all the other classes are based on..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #660
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
i guess the bigger problem is that some people forget this is a spec class. do the rcgt tires "work" ? i guess it depends of definition.. the tires are terrible, the cars push like freight trains or ocean liners, but everyone is using them and the racing is good.... for wgt its a little different.. for some tracks the cars have a very difficult time with traction or wear given VERY specific track conditions, but in general most pan car tires "work" in most places meaning the cars roll forward and are able to navigate the track.. that said if your club has a spec tire rule, than everyone is equal and it's all about driving their cars as they are... this class is not supposed to be 12th scale where every .001 of a second matters.. its about having a class option that is not based on the 4wd touring platform that all the other classes are based on..
+1