Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question???? >

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
People misunderstand what is really going on. Slowing the cars down does NOT diminish the quality of the racing. it ENHANCES it. People misunderstand the difference between fast and better. Instead of flying all over the place and overshooting corners and missing the line by 4 feet, now you're missing the line by 2 feet. The improvement is that the racing looks better, and IS better. There are exceptions to every rule. But the simple fact is, slower cars equal better racing (for the other 99.9% of us that aren't getting paid on a team). I don't want to go 100mph, I want a better race, 5-10" off the other car and NOT take the guy out because we are both in WAY over our heads.

Very few people can run a car, any car, even the slowest ones, to the cars absolute potential. Maybe 1 guy in a 1000.

I've said it before. You don't want faster racing, you want BETTER racing.
+1.

And the slower comments always intrigue me. Lap times for 13.5 1s are a tick off or the same as 13.5 sedan. We have a series in the Chicago / Milwaukee area (Hurricane Midwest All-Stars) that draws some very good, well known 13.5 racers. My times in wgt were pretty close to their times and I am several knotches below these guys in ability. Straight speed is a little down but cornering speeds are better. Everyone has their own opinion,but I think the 1S 13.5 and then 10.5 for a step up is right on the money. Fun, close racing and its not hard on your equipment.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

I don't understand this. If your car can drive a full lap with the stick up, then either your car is not set up properly, or your track is not designed for the class.

I'd understand your point if you had come to a major race and beat everyone in 13.5 WGT like that. Like Bob says, you want better racing, and a slower car does not mean the racing is worse. Give it a couple of years and 13.5 cars with their developed motors and speedo tweaks will be as fast as 10.5 is now.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
why? 1s in wgt or tc moves pretty good.

i read these post from everyone saying everything is to fast, we need to slow it down and when they do people complain about it.
Just my opinion! I like a little more weight in my car, it makes my car easier to drive. A 2C lipo is fine, so if guys want to use a 2C lipo drop down to 17.5.
We are already spending more money buying more batteries than we need, most guys already have 2C lipos and can't aford to keep buying batt's everytime we want to change the rules due to expermenting, why don't we just run what the rules say in the books? I like running 13.5 and 17.5 and I can aford to buy more equipment, but what about the new guy or the guys that are on a budget and can't aford to keep buying batt's 1C or what ever new changes you guys want. If we all want 1C 13.5 the WGT needs to put it in the books and thats what we race, simple or maybe not.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i run my wgt in the florida state series with bullfrog and i can tell you, the faster guys in the class are running laps comparable to 17.5 touring which when setup properly, is buckets of fun.. my only gripe is that we have to use either a voltage booster or rec batt, but within a year we will have several 1s esc's with built in volt boosters.. i've now run two full weekends of the class (3 quals and a main) and am still on my first set of tires.. the racing is close and competitive.. wish i could make this weekends race, but not gonna happen and that is a drag..
Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tally I'll miss racing against you this weekend. I think I found out my speed problem.We'll find out Sunday.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i know what my speed problem is too.. an old novak gtb and an old 13.5 coupled with a car 4 ounces over weight..
Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tally-I've got the old GTB but my problem was in the transmitter. I had the throttle set at 68% it's now at 140% on my M8. Now will find out if my driveway testing is correct. My car is the heavest out there.Last year it was the lightest.As I was the only one running the single cell against the 4 cell cars.
I finally got my new body you could put you mark on in the race.Actually were had great races for the tall end of the pack.Now that I fixed the speed problem I hopefully be moving up the ladder. I guess I'll se you at the next state race in jan.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Every time I look at my CRC I get even more jonesed to see this class do well (I need to attach the rear wheels and get an ESC...and learn a thing or two about taking care of LiPos now too)
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Anybody running the advanced timing ESCs in WGT?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Anybody running the advanced timing ESCs in WGT?
everybody.

have you run your car yet
Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

I have not had a chance to race and test and won't get a chance before heading to the Snowbirds. Nothing like showing up cold! Any suggestions for a Tekin RS in a WGT car? I have X12 and Novak 13.5 to run on TP 1S LiPo's. This turbo ESC stuff has me a little perplexed. I had the car running very well with an SXX and the Ballistic motor. Just need a place to start as far as roll out and ESC settings.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
everybody.

have you run your car yet
Have you???? ............. I've worn out two, broke (really broke) one and now driving a new proto type just in the past 18 months.

FYI I don't run the AE Black Diamond, but have raced my car with a Tekin against one locally. I'm getting closer.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run mine all the time.

Tekin: get Yang Li's set-up from Tekins site for v2.03 and start from there. Gearing, start with something like an 88/28 - 30 with 0 motor timing. Personal preference is a SP 1.0 or Duo. However, the ballistic is fast as long as you don't get it too hot. Keep an eye on motor temps while getting gearing correct. For 'birds, we cut our tires small - 2.1/2.0 rear/front - depending on tire brand.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Anybody got a sensored ESC I can mate with my LRP 13.5? On a more personal note, Ive had some bigtime family troubles (that and the fact that Lynchburg, VA isnt exactly a booming hub for RC cars), namely my grandmother passing away last week and the week before that having to rush my sister to the hospital because she was unconscious...thankfully she recovered. I was curious because Id read some pretty heated talk about the advanced timing ESCs and what not.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default The class

This past weekend I discovered this class at a local track in my area. As I go through the thread looks there has been a lot of advances that have brought all of the 1/10 pancar classes to were we are today. I can only hope it takes off in this area, seams that the car of the season is always a different flavor every fall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.