R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #451
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To take the concept all the way, I imagine we would spec a specific battery brand and model, and also a specific ESC brand and model (a cheap one that works on 1s and isn't upgradeable and doesn't have timing boost, like the new Novak 1s one). Personally, I think I would slightly prefer this to what it is now.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #452
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
To take the concept all the way, I imagine we would spec a specific battery brand and model, and also a specific ESC brand and model (a cheap one that works on 1s and isn't upgradeable and doesn't have timing boost, like the new Novak 1s one). Personally, I think I would slightly prefer this to what it is now.
Any ESC with a booster or receiver pack will work. Booster is by far the easiest option once its wired right. Good 1S batteries aren't too common yet, but the 2 offered by SMC are very good. The 4900 doesn't fall off for a whole race distance for the testing I've watched. Of course it was a 12th scale running a 10.5, but makes it look even better for the 10th scale cars. As far as programmable timing, I can turn my turbo off in the RS. Every other ESC motor combo has access to various profiles and endbell timing. I would still guess that programmable ESCs are the future of the sport/hobby and become very mainstream in the next couple of months.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #453
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Any ESC with a booster or receiver pack will work. Booster is by far the easiest option once its wired right. Good 1S batteries aren't too common yet, but the 2 offered by SMC are very good. The 4900 doesn't fall off for a whole race distance for the testing I've watched. Of course it was a 12th scale running a 10.5, but makes it look even better for the 10th scale cars. As far as programmable timing, I can turn my turbo off in the RS. Every other ESC motor combo has access to various profiles and endbell timing. I would still guess that programmable ESCs are the future of the sport/hobby and become very mainstream in the next couple of months.
I think voltage boosters or receiver packs are going to have to be a necessary evil until you have ESCs that are designed for 3.7v (which Im sure are being developed in light of the 1S 12th scale rules). I know its gonna be another expense for independent racers (like myself) but I think any additional specing for WGT with 1S/13.5 with ESCs does have to bear in mind that ESCs right now arent designed for 3.7V LiPo packs (well there is maybe 1 or 2 out somebody correct me if Im wrong on that)
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #454
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
I think voltage boosters or receiver packs are going to have to be a necessary evil until you have ESCs that are designed for 3.7v (which Im sure are being developed in light of the 1S 12th scale rules). I know its gonna be another expense for independent racers (like myself) but I think any additional specing for WGT with 1S/13.5 with ESCs does have to bear in mind that ESCs right now arent designed for 3.7V LiPo packs (well there is maybe 1 or 2 out somebody correct me if Im wrong on that)
Nothing out that requires just a plug and play ESC until the Novak 1S comes out with the booster and lipo cutoff built in. Tekin has no plans on releasing a booster added version of the RS or RS Pro at the moment. Randy Pike made that quite clear. The Rs or RS Pro will run on 3.7V and lipo cut off does work in 1S mode. In my opinion, a booster is recommended over the lipo RX pack.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #455
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
I hear ya....a true drivers class. However, I'm not a big fan of the one brand concept. But I think I'd be ok with limiting it to non adjustable ESC's, motors, etc. I love Tekin ESC's and I'd love to see them come out with a detuned ESC similar to what Novak has done with the Havoc line. I guess it would take an organization to govern the specs for a class like this before other companies would produce ESC's to that spec. Also I think Trinity/Epic has a motor/battery combo that would fit your concept.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #456
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
I hear ya....a true drivers class. However, I'm not a big fan of the one brand concept. But I think I'd be ok with limiting it to non adjustable ESC's, motors, etc. I love Tekin ESC's and I'd love to see them come out with a detuned ESC similar to what Novak has done with the Havoc line. I guess it would take an organization to govern the specs for a class like this before other companies would produce ESC's to that spec. Also I think Trinity/Epic has a motor/battery combo that would fit your concept.
There is a problem with that. If you say it can be any approved, non programmable esc you will have esc of the week wars. The only thing keeping it from being that now is the Tekin RS. They just come out with new software instead of a new speedo. It has to be all or one. Make it any speedo or just one spec speedo. Oval guys have been doing this for years now in some places with great success. Not really my kind of racing but hey.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #457
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

yea, nothing like not being able to use ANYTHING you already own to grow a class.. maye a special charger or transponder too? and maybe tank bodies will really make it too slow to enjoy if the 1s 13.5's hasn't already...

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #458
Tech Lord

Well i could crack open another can of worms by mentioning that my semi local track runs 2s 21.5 and it's great but I guess we don't need to go there
Old 09-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #459
Tech Champion

This is getting kinda funny as Pit, Wing and I all have RSs in our WGT cars.

Seriously. We're locked at 13.5, locked at 1S. That is enough limitation. If you want to spec a speedo, then make it the RS. Everyone can download the new profile, tweak timing, gear for the track and adjust setup. If all other speedos are inferior, it would be your choice to run one. I will bet dollars to donuts that Novak will or has a truly programmable controller in the pipeline and someone will unlock its potential. It will be a battle of firmware vs. firmware only months from now. I'm all for that. Bring on the driving skill without going 60mph. These cars are faster than their 13.5 2S 4WD counterparts with these limitations.

Back to humor. I'm making the exact opposite argument in VTA as the 21.5s have become too fast with 2S. They don't need an RS. They are almost stock 17.5 sedan fast. Novak is coming out with a 25.5 stator in a couple weeks which should, if adopted slow the class down. My prediction is: There will be a market for the old non-programmable ESCs for the driving skill purists in certain classes.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #460
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Well i could crack open another can of worms by mentioning that my semi local track runs 2s 21.5 and it's great but I guess we don't need to go there
That's what I switched from... Made another VTA car from the tear out.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #461
Tech Lord

I really think that except maybe for 1/12th, 2s will be the way for everything. It just makes more sense to use 2s. Speedo, motor and radio manufacturers will all tell you that it makes more sense. Too fast, use a slower motor. Of course it may take a number of years to get there but I really believe it will happen.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #462
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

To be totally frank Im rather sick of all this talk. I mean when this class started, it was 4 cell/13.5. I do understand that with LiPo in its infancy I can understand the need for NiMH batteries. Well then with the release of some 1S packs the spec was changed to 1S/13.5. Now youve got peoplke wanting it to be 10.5, some want 17.5, then youve got guys like wingracer tooting for 21.5. CAN WE JUST STICK WITH BLOODY SOMETHING!!! I can keep having to save money and getting new gear every 4-6 months. If 1S/13.5 is the spec then STICK WITH 1S/13.5 and stop trying to bloody undermine that...are we understanding what Im saying? As for the ESC issue, if the RS works, then I say go ahead and spec that one and then make sure everybody has access to the 1S profile and then can we SHUT THE HECK UP?!?!?
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #463
Tech Lord

I'm not pushing 2s or 21.5 or anything else, I just think that may be where it ends up going.

Nearly every electric class is in limbo with new rules and equipment coming out every week. You can thank lipos and brushless for that. In classes that were running 6 cell the transition has been debated but fairly smooth. For everything else it's going to be a while before everything gets straight and settles down. But it WILL settle down eventually.

If you want a class where the rules never change, try 1/8th onroad.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #464
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

21.5 with a 1s? Sounds too easy to drive.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #465
Tech Lord

No, 2s