Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question???? >

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Old 09-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

4 cell 13.5 i think would be great. Spec shore rating would be good for all the tire manufacturers. I should hopefully have my order from Jaco this week so i can do some testing outdoors with the new Lilac spec tire. I like the idea of going with the harder lilac tire to keep wear to a minimum. Our track is not very high bite asphalt so it will be a great test for the tires to see if they can work well in these conditions. Im glad to see the class taking off.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

- Any 200mm chassis
- 4 cell 4600 mah max
- 13.5 or 17.5 (any brand but still deciding which one)
- Jaco Lilac's
- Any IIC approved body until Sophia becomes widely available.
- run 5 minutes
-105mm body height (This would allow for teh bodies currently available AND if this can really take off allow for other GT1 bodies to be made by body manufacturers)
-1040g min weight

I like the other rules though. Keeps cost down and puts a lot of the emphasis on good clean fun racing that everybody can get into
Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
I would spec a "shore" on tire, but not a brand. Allow other tire manufacturers the opportunity to enter the fray as long as they remain in line with the specified shore.

I also think spec'ing a motor is a bad idea. One of the things that will help this class grow is cross-class compatibility, having to buy a $75 motor just for one class, could make or break the class for some folks.

Other than that the rules sound solid.
+1, all you need is a durometer As long as the tyre isnt too soft that it chunks easily you should be fine, or it may put some off. If you only allow one brand you are at risk of favourtism to that brand and people may even think the club have a deal with them?

The more you spec, the more it needs policing so keep the motor open- newcomers won't be rushing out to buy new motors they are there to learn and have a good time.

If your intentions of a World GT class is to attract new blood you know they will want to turn up and race as easily as possible without much red tape stopping them. Most of us will buy a new set of tyres for a series and don't blink an eye so a spec tyre shouldnt do any harm financially, overall it should help.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Nice thread to start!!

We are running 4 cell /13.5 and lipo 17.5, but based on some other tracks and feadback on this site, I'm going to try a 21.5 on wednesday night and see how that comparies. But we should allow combinations to get racers in

I like the spec tire / same duro.

Bodies should be more open to other GT cars, but no touring cars. With that we should have a min height.

I'd keep the weight at the 1140 mark so that if a racer goes to a large race his chassis is set, just need to move to the 13.5/4 cell if that is not what they are running.

And yes the GT class is 200mm.

If there are (like here) 235 cars they should be in there own class GTP. We use 19 turn or 10.5's and 6 cell or lipo. They can run thier own race or be mixed just like the full size cars do and have two winners.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Yes, allowing 13.5 or slower wouldnt do any harm either, nice idea

simplify the rules by stating 13.5 or higher wind perhaps? No ones going to get an advantage.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

I think that at least opening the motors up (running any 13.5) would be a start. I think taht 17.5 would make a nice second option ruleset
Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Everything sounds fine ....................
Remember lets not get tooooooooo many classes, thats what is killing our hobby now!

Last edited by 1fastdude; 09-25-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Saw a few WGT cars running over here in the UK.......

One of them was running 4 cell and a 5.5, track was indoor carpet at 30m x 14m roughly (about 90 x 40 ft) - it definitely wasn't undrivable but was probably a bit too overpowered. So probably looking at that and the videos from Vegas, I reckon 13.5 4 cell for indoor tracks, 10.5 4 cell for outdoors and maybe then a "pro" class of open motors with 4 cell for outdoor too. I don't know how LiPo equivellants would fit, but if you can find an option that gives similar performance over the whole lap then combining the two can't do any harm.

As for tires, I think probably a spec tire is the way forward. However, how about to keep all the manufacturers happy, that a system similar to Touring Car rubber tires is adopted - eg each race will use a particular spec tire. Each manufacturer can limit themselves to just one compound and as long as not too many manufacturers are involved (Jaco, Parma/GRP, CRC, BSR I guess would be the main four) it could work?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bigger Brother
Saw a few WGT cars running over here in the UK....... I reckon 13.5 4 cell for indoor tracks, 10.5 4 cell for outdoors and maybe then a "pro" class of open motors with 4 cell for outdoor too.
I agree with what you have posted, but we have run 10.5's or 19 turn with 6 cells and lipo for 5+ years at this point outside and it is a great class. Can be almost if not the fastest with Mod touring and Nitro Touring.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The trick really is run what the guys in your club want to run. If the guys at your local club want to run JACO only, than go for it...if there's a cry for BSR's or Parma than open it up. I really think that the need to spec rules for all across the country is over-rated. The important thing is for the local turnout to be high and for guys to have fun...not to fall in line with the rest of country. I'm not saying to be inconsistant, just be consistant with the locals want the class to achieve. If its controlled cost, close, spec racing you're after than look at spec tires. If its another form of touring car where you want freedom in nearly ever direction kind of like a 1:10 scale F1 than leave it open...Its really about what the local racers want, and it shouldn't matter if thats different than the guys in Colorado or Florida.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We run 27T, open tires, 6 cell or LIPO
Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

I think that one thing some people are missing that offer other ideas is that when they ran at the IIC in vegas here recently (and here coming up in Cleveland), there has been great success with the ruleset that was used. in Vegas they had 29 cars come the start of racing. that is almost three full mains using 4 cell NiMH and 13.5 motors. I havent seen the numbers for Cleveland but I do seriously think that Scotty and the boys got it right (well except the body height rules but those can be easily taken care of) and that would make sense as the standard right now. this will give people a solid foundation to work from as the class can build even leading up to the 2009 IIC. I dont think that anyone wants this class to be another money pit class like touring car has become so I think that needs to be considered as we talk about this
Old 09-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I think that one thing some people are missing that offer other ideas is that when they ran at the IIC in vegas here recently (and here coming up in Cleveland), there has been great success with the ruleset that was used. in Vegas they had 29 cars come the start of racing. that is almost three full mains using 4 cell NiMH and 13.5 motors. I havent seen the numbers for Cleveland but I do seriously think that Scotty and the boys got it right (well except the body height rules but those can be easily taken care of) and that would make sense as the standard right now. this will give people a solid foundation to work from as the class can build even leading up to the 2009 IIC. I dont think that anyone wants this class to be another money pit class like touring car has become so I think that needs to be considered as we talk about this
I'd look at the entries and take out all the sponsored drivers who were there to run the cars that thier spponsors build and see what you have left. I think that cells are the money pit, and they seem to be getting more expensive as there are less of them used. Conversly, the lipo's are getting less expensive and they don't requier the amount of equipment to get the power out of them.

My 2 1/2 cents.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Did someone mention single cell Lipo? That would help spec things out when/if it lands on the public. It would also help keep speeds reasonable.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Grenade10
I'd look at the entries and take out all the sponsored drivers who were there to run the cars that thier spponsors build and see what you have left. I think that cells are the money pit, and they seem to be getting more expensive as there are less of them used. Conversly, the lipo's are getting less expensive and they don't requier the amount of equipment to get the power out of them.

My 2 1/2 cents.

Obviously Scotty thought enough of it to choose that over LiPo when he made the decision about the rules for this class. If you want to voice your disagreement with him youre welcome to. I dont have a problem with either but I just want to keep things consistent with what they ran at the IIC and are going to run in Cleveland in a couple months

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.