R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #241
Tech Fanatic

Yes, for the On-Road classes. 12th, TC, and now GT10 (WGT) will all run a 10.5 class. There is a National Championship for 12th Scale (called Stock), and for TC (called Super Stock) and we will be running some informal events for GT10 (called GT2).

We don't run anything above that. It seems from here that the vast majority of 12th and TC racing Stateside is 13.5 and 17.5, but they seem to be very slow. Even on small tracks here, we would run 10.5 for all those classes.

Most 12th racing (until this year) is Modified, and most people run 6.5 to 4.5 in 12th, 5.5 to 3.5 in TC (remembering we run 5-cell) so I'm guessing that will be the same in GT10. In 12th, we have introduced a Sports Modified class for our Modified Nationals, limited to 10.5, and this is now very popular.

With the latest developments in motors and speedos, a 10.5BL is about the same as a 12x2 BR from a couple of years back in 12th (4-cell). The chassis are so good these days, they are real easy to drive. HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #242
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Interesting...I wonder though if this will catch on in Asia and what they will do...13.5, 10.5 or even go their own way

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 12-20-2008 at 11:00 AM.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #243
Tech Fanatic

AFAIK, anything below 10.5BL is limited to the USA. Far Eat tend to run open Mod all the time in all classes, and lately they have been using 4-cell in TC as well as 12th, etc.

Stock racing is biggest in the USA, and outside you guys there really isn't any call for 17.5 and 13.5 motors. 27T Stock simply died in Europe when the Bl motors came in, although there is still some 19T racing. Despite the fact that many of our Clubs have small tracks, 10.5 is the norm in 12th, GT10 (World GT) and TC.

Back in the day, when you guys ran 27T almost exclusively, we couldn't understand why you want the cars to be so slow! It's not changed much with teh change to BL - except that getting into the Stock classes now costs twice as much as the old BR days without, for the 4-cell classes, any real improvement in running costs!

Also, there is no push here for LiPo in 12th and GT10. A few people would like to run it, but there is nothing like the number of LiPo-loopy people you have trying to create classes with all sorts of weird motor equivalents.

Asia isn't a big 12th or Pro10 (as was) market, but they'll go 5-cell Mod TC now that IFMAR have decided on it. HTH
Old 12-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #244
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
AFAIK, anything below 10.5BL is limited to the USA. Far Eat tend to run open Mod all the time in all classes, and lately they have been using 4-cell in TC as well as 12th, etc.

Stock racing is biggest in the USA, and outside you guys there really isn't any call for 17.5 and 13.5 motors. 27T Stock simply died in Europe when the Bl motors came in, although there is still some 19T racing. Despite the fact that many of our Clubs have small tracks, 10.5 is the norm in 12th, GT10 (World GT) and TC.

Back in the day, when you guys ran 27T almost exclusively, we couldn't understand why you want the cars to be so slow! It's not changed much with teh change to BL - except that getting into the Stock classes now costs twice as much as the old BR days without, for the 4-cell classes, any real improvement in running costs!

Also, there is no push here for LiPo in 12th and GT10. A few people would like to run it, but there is nothing like the number of LiPo-loopy people you have trying to create classes with all sorts of weird motor equivalents.

Asia isn't a big 12th or Pro10 (as was) market, but they'll go 5-cell Mod TC now that IFMAR have decided on it. HTH
How big is the typical indoor carpet track in the UK? There are a lot around 25 x 12 meters over here, or something similar, many with less than 2 meter lanes. I raced tonight, and there were some guys who were having a hard time with 13.5 1/12 on a track a little longer than the above size.

10.5 is about .2 sec. per lap slower than a mod motor on a carpet track. You don't see a lot of people stepping up to run mod anymore on carpet.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:46 AM   #245
Tech Fanatic

Typical size? That's hard to say. Anything from 20m x 12m to 30m x 16m. As I said, the size doesn't matter, there isn't anyone running anything under 10.5 BL / 19T BR in Europe. Maybe it's an additive thing, as we use CS High, and you guys stick to JtG or Paragon.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #246
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Typical size? That's hard to say. Anything from 20m x 12m to 30m x 16m. As I said, the size doesn't matter, there isn't anyone running anything under 10.5 BL / 19T BR in Europe. Maybe it's an additive thing, as we use CS High, and you guys stick to JtG or Paragon.
I guess you guys just have the big cojones

Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #247
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I think that either way that overall fun factor needs to be considered right along with cost and speed. If you forget cost you could have escalating costs for the class either in motors, batteries or tires. If a class isnt very fast but the people are having fun and enjoying themselves then the class can at least grow and maintain a steady following. You dont want to see these things become land missiles.

Anyway does anybody have some allen keys they dont need anymore? I have a CRC Pantoura that needs the rear wheels reattached and Im kinda lacking
Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #248
Tech Champion

I think World GT is just the start. I see eventually there being more World GT classes. There will eventually be a World GT Mod class. There has to be. The pros are looking at the WGT cars and they think they are fun. They also remember running Pro-10.

The chassis can certainly take a lot more power. We tested the DB10R with 4.5's on 4 cells all the time on our local big asphalt track. That was A LOT of fun.

All of this will evolve naturally.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #249
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Locally we will have 2 cars very soon. I'll demo mine every chance I get (more practice) for exposure to the class. I'm going with the CRC and will be 21.5/lipo as I already have a complete setup to put in the car and the other CRC is already built that way. I have to wait a week or two for the chassis as the distributor is out of stock, but no big deal. I can get the body prepped and ready to run. I'll have the Protoform Sophia and he'll have the Saleen S7R.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #250
Tech Master

a modern WGT car vs. a F103 chassis. Granted they use the same motor, 4cell, and shore ratings, would they be equal? or will one have advantage over the other?
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #251
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I think World GT is just the start. I see eventually there being more World GT classes. There will eventually be a World GT Mod class. There has to be. The pros are looking at the WGT cars and they think they are fun. They also remember running Pro-10.

The chassis can certainly take a lot more power. We tested the DB10R with 4.5's on 4 cells all the time on our local big asphalt track. That was A LOT of fun.

All of this will evolve naturally.
I've run my I-Fource in 235 set up with Lipo and 10.5 (outside pavement) and yes very fast, but predictable. Dropped in a 6.5 and it then was a handful for me. Pro's would love this much power with the ability to turn!!!

Yes, I agree the cars will sort them selves over the next year or two.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #252
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
a modern WGT car vs. a F103 chassis. Granted they use the same motor, 4cell, and shore ratings, would they be equal? or will one have advantage over the other?

I would believe the WGT would be in an other time zone compaired to the F103.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #253
Tech Champion

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...unday10409.pdf
Last race on the sheet:

Mark Sweeney has a CRC w/13.5 and 4 cell

Rob King has an F103R w/lipo 7.4 and silver can

About .5 difference on hot lap. I'm not sure how much difference was due to motor and battery.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #254
Tech Elite

Well I think we've all settled down on this...ROAR picked up WGT (with the rules put forth by Scotty Ernst). Im sure at the club level all sorts of variations can and will be wrought and that isnt a problem for me. I cant wait to get out and race!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #255
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Well I think we've all settled down on this...ROAR picked up WGT (with the rules put forth by Scotty Ernst). Im sure at the club level all sorts of variations can and will be wrought and that isnt a problem for me. I cant wait to get out and race!
OK, where are they? ROAR Site doesn't have any class specific rules posted.