R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #181
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You adding to it didnt help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Its conversations like the one between Verndog, OD and C_O that are what will keep this class from growing. You cant be figuring out what to change about a class when its barely gotten started. I have a CRC Pantoura I bought just for this class along with NIMH batteries, and a 13.5 motor (heck I even got a PT too). Maybe its just me, but Im not going to turn around and buy LiPo packs at this juncture. Im sure its the future but I think the best course of action to help this class grow is to get behind the way its been done at the IIC and will be done at the US Champs in Cleveland instead of ******** and complaining like a bunch of ****** babies who cant seem to get their way. This class needs stability right now and those kind of conversations wont do a ****** thing for helping this class to grow on the club level.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #182
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post

Well....Dr Jeckle and Mr Fred...welcome.
I thought the bigest crybaby in the NW was banned from racing at certain track?? No??

This is a common sense issue...limiting a class to spec 4 cells while its just trying to start out...I believe thats the title. I just spend $450.00 for something capable of running "todays" LiPo's for a reason...not to be limited by "the commitee"....oh...and btw...I didn't buy the only one so that part about my own class was pretty lame.
Kevin I won't start a flame war but please wait until you get the car on the track with 4 cell before you pass judgement. At the last NWIC I ran the kit setup on the 10R5 with 1 battery(I left it taped in the entire day) and guess what, I won. These cars are easy to drive with the 4 cell and theres no reason this early in the life of this class to try and change it. If you don't want to run a class that limits what battery you use there is a class for you. It's called Mod sedan.
mkdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #183
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Its conversations like the one between Verndog, OD and C_O that are what will keep this class from growing. You cant be figuring out what to change about a class when its barely gotten started. This class needs stability right now and those kind of conversations wont do a ****** thing for helping this class to grow on the club level.
I agree!!.......... This class is so much fun the way it is............ Period!!...........13.5/19T, 4-cell, 1/10 scale pan car......Proto C6......Jaco spec tires........... Simply awesome!

I run (2) 4-cell packs and maybe 3 to mix things up a bit in 1/12 scale and use the same packs for WGT 1/10th scale when we get a nice group together. No need to change things around. Just run it and promote......... That's it!!

Good luck, my fellow Racers, and Happy Racing!

TQRacing / 360 V2 RC Raceway
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #184
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

In the North West, NWIC, a 5 race rug series, WGT was added for this season. First race one month ago there were 5 that had never turned a wheel before. 4 ran and had a blast.
2 weeks later at a club race there were 8 with only 2 from the other race.
Race 2 of the series is this weekend and should have a good turnout.
The series rules are 4 cell 13.5 and worked fine, for the TimeZone II race we get to run 4 cell 10.5 on a 100X60' pool table.

"For all you west coast east coast boy's Round 2 of the NWIC is at Timezone II this weekend. Will be up on RClive.com and video on our WEBcam @ www.timezoneracing.com"
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #185
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdut View Post
Kevin I won't start a flame war but please wait until you get the car on the track with 4 cell before you pass judgement. At the last NWIC I ran the kit setup on the 10R5 with 1 battery(I left it taped in the entire day) and guess what, I won. These cars are easy to drive with the 4 cell and theres no reason this early in the life of this class to try and change it. If you don't want to run a class that limits what battery you use there is a class for you. It's called Mod sedan.
Its pretty much useless to discuss this here. I asked the question in the SIR thread where I intend to run the WGT, and concensus is so far that we will run 10.5 / 4.8v with 13.5 or 17.5 / 7.4V...just like NorCal is running. I asked before I bought it, then discovered this thread. I am not the only one at SIR asking to run this either. This thread has no bearing on SIR / TZII ect. so I'll just ignore the rhetoric for now.

After throwing 18 NiMh's away recently from self discharging (yes my fault)...I'm done with buying more NiMh.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #186
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
I know what you mean OD. At alot of tracks people who are trying 7.4 volt lipo are realizing that the speed is too much and they are finding themselves buying motors specific to the car instead of 4 cell batteries specific to the car. On some of the real big 1/8th tracks and Go Kart tracks,guys are liking the lipo/10.5 and better. For big races you will see that 4 cell is going to be the norm. 6 cell is what killed the class to begin with. The cars were too fast and they were dangerous. If people are going to run indoors with lipo, they will need to motor down to keep it realistic and safe. Being that lipo's are becoming so popular, I think that lipo and 17.5 will become a user friendly class. We will have to wait and see i guess.
Jason you've been with this class from the beginning, so you see things clearly. The 4 cell formula wasn't just pulled out of a hat, there was a lot of thought put into it.

I guess it is that we want to please everyone, so that's where the lipo discussion begins. It would be easy to say "its a 4 cell class, if you don't want to run 4 cell then don't run it". But we want everyone to get in on the fun so we are trying to accomodate. What we are doing locally is lots of testing to find a lipo and motor option that is as close to 4cell 13.5 as possible. Right now, the formula is to use an Orion 2400 20c lipo with any 17.5 motor. That may still prove to be faster than 4 cell on our track and if so we will tweek it further. Running the two formulas together is not an ideal situation, but there are plenty of us that want to run the class according to the rules that were put forth for the class at its inception, and lots of people that want to use lipo for the obvious reasons.

It shouldn't be such a contentious issue either. It doesn't help anything to accuse someone who wants to run lipo of being selfish, just as it does no good to say that guys that like the class with nmhd are being obstructionists. So if its all the same to the proponents of each type of battery I will continue to say how great this class is with a 4 cell format, while also working on an equivalent lipo option
Old 11-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #187
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
I guess it is that we want to please everyone, so that's where the lipo discussion begins. It would be easy to say "its a 4 cell class, if you don't want to run 4 cell then don't run it". But we want everyone to get in on the fun so we are trying to accomodate. What we are doing locally is lots of testing to find a lipo and motor option that is as close to 4cell 13.5 as possible. Right now, the formula is to use an Orion 2400 20c lipo with any 17.5 motor. That may still prove to be faster than 4 cell on our track and if so we will tweek it further. Running the two formulas together is not an ideal situation, but there are plenty of us that want to run the class according to the rules that were put forth for the class at its inception, and lots of people that want to use lipo for the obvious reasons.

It shouldn't be such a contentious issue either. It doesn't help anything to accuse someone who wants to run lipo of being selfish, just as it does no good to say that guys that like the class with nmhd are being obstructionists. So if its all the same I will continue to say how great this class is with a 4 cell format, while also working on an equivalent lipo option
I agree this is a great class with 4 cell. I was amazed at how fun these cars are to drive and how little I had to work at getting the car to handle. If a format can be found that helps to equate 4 cell with lipo that's great. However if that format dictates that only certain lipo batteries can be used then the same people wanting the lipos are going to complain that this does allow for "cross compatable hardware" and that they should be allowed to use any lipo cuz thats what they got. Unfortunately you can't win if you try to please everyone. Long live WGT.
mkdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #188
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

From an outsiders perspective, In Australia we do not have carpet, all racing is done outdoors on asphalt, and Lipo has become legal for TC classes.

NiMh is DEAD here, the main local matcher has stopped matching due to the decrease in demand. Me and a friend raced GT with Lipo/17.5 on a smallish track last weekend, and it was awesome, enough speed that oyu couldnt just mash it everywhere, but not too much that the car had to be tip toed around the track.

I can understand the need for 4 cell on the pissy little tracks run indoors on carpet, but for outdoor use lipo/17.5 looks perfect to us.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #189
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
Jason you've been with this class from the beginning, so you see things clearly. The 4 cell formula wasn't just pulled out of a hat, there was a lot of thought put into it.

It shouldn't be such a contentious issue either. It doesn't help anything to accuse someone who wants to run lipo of being selfish, just as it does no good to say that guys that like the class with nmhd are being obstructionists. So if its all the same to the proponents of each type of battery I will continue to say how great this class is with a 4 cell format, while also working on an equivalent lipo option
Im with you 100%. I would like to see 4 cell 13.5 be a common class. It really is a nice speed for almost any normal sized track and its low maintenence and fun as hell Both of us saw what happened to 1/10th pan car so we are more aware of the damage that will happen to the class if the speeds get out of hand. I think that once all the dust settles(hopefully soon), then rules will be made and accepted by the people who run the cars
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #190
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Its pretty much useless to discuss this here. I asked the question in the SIR thread where I intend to run the WGT, and concensus is so far that we will run 10.5 / 4.8v with 13.5 or 17.5 / 7.4V...just like NorCal is running. I asked before I bought it, then discovered this thread. I am not the only one at SIR asking to run this either. This thread has no bearing on SIR / TZII ect. so I'll just ignore the rhetoric for now.

After throwing 18 NiMh's away recently from self discharging (yes my fault)...I'm done with buying more NiMh.
I understand your frustration and so do the other manufacturers. That is why some of the cars are lipo ready(Ours is). Im sure alot of tracks will have different rules and regulations. I know alot of tracks are running the Lipo cells. For big races, i think 4 cell 13.5 is going to be common for a while yet though. That doesnt really effect many people or tell them what they have to run though. The turnout at big races is a small portion of the people who are buying the cars. Im sure at some point, there will be a common class for these cars
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #191
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Besercoe, Its good that things are going well for you in Australia. I was kinda hoping to see this be a class tha twas fast enough to be entertaining but not so fast that people generally shied away from it. I am getting into WGT myself and I like teh 4C/13.5 formula. I think it would be a good baseline starting point. Its interesting how VTA doesnt have this much of a problem coming up with a formula and building the class using that formula and not having 20 people p*** and moan and b**** about every little thing.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #192
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

[QUOTE=trackdesigner71;5045228. Its interesting how VTA doesnt have this much of a problem coming up with a formula and building the class using that formula and not having 20 people p*** and moan and b**** about every little thing.[/QUOTE]

You need to get over to the USVTA threads more often...

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #193
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If everyone is having fun then who cares? Look some folks will want to run the Lipos. If they can get a class together go for it. If some folks want to run Trans Am.....go ahead and have fun. If others want to start a spec class using 4 cell then by all means get one going.

If we all sit around and pontificate about what class we think the whole world should run nothing will start AT ALL.

Get off your tail and go race!!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #194
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gain Time View Post
If everyone is having fun then who cares? Look some folks will want to run the Lipos. If they can get a class together go for it. If some folks want to run Trans Am.....go ahead and have fun. If others want to start a spec class using 4 cell then by all means get one going.

If we all sit around and pontificate about what class we think the whole world should run nothing will start AT ALL.

Get off your tail and go race!!
Well, I have let this thread go on for a while with out any input, but I agree with this post.

My main reason for letting the lipo's run is the largest group of racers that we can pull from is touring cars. (also the one that has lost the most interest around here) They are running lipo and brushless and most sware they will never go back to cells. So let them run what they have, and get them into the class.

I also see no issue with having the large races run only the 4 cell/13.5's as it would only affect maybe 2-3 racers in our Region. And the few of us that it would, we can run either way.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #195
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Wow! a voice of reason,without looking like he is strictly promoting his own agenda.Some of the people here are not promoters of anything.They want to keep it a good old boys club and miss the whole point.Pulling from the Touring car crowd ,let alone any class that may run Lipo is the easiest way to grow this class on a local level.We, in less then a week have proven this locally.You think 4 cell classes are bigger then any toruing car class even now with such a decline in Touring?Your smoking if you do. Let the 4 cell guys stay that. And allow a little breathing room for growths sake people.I guarantee,the class will grow if 4 cell is not the only option at a local level.Leave the big race formula alone.All 2 percent of actual racers that go to big races can deal with 4 cell only and everyone is happy.Off the soapbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
Well, I have let this thread go on for a while with out any input, but I agree with this post.

My main reason for letting the lipo's run is the largest group of racers that we can pull from is touring cars. (also the one that has lost the most interest around here) They are running lipo and brushless and most sware they will never go back to cells. So let them run what they have, and get them into the class.

I also see no issue with having the large races run only the 4 cell/13.5's as it would only affect maybe 2-3 racers in our Region. And the few of us that it would, we can run either way.