R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #166
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Spec tire has good grip and great wear which is what most folks have found. Congrats on the win. I found that the 17.5 was a little more mellow on the punch than the 13.5 and that I actually turned better times with the 17.5. It is much slower but the power curve seems to be more consistent or helps the driver to be more consistent....in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

i started a discussion in the Racing Forum for tracks that run WGT. I hope yall can get things going there
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #168
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
i started a discussion in the Racing Forum for tracks that run WGT. I hope yall can get things going there
Thanks.

Took a look; but, couldn't find it on the Racing Forum.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #169
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Thanks.

Took a look; but, couldn't find it on the Racing Forum.
It probably got shuffled down a page or three...I'll pop it back to the top so you can find it
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #170
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

So far you are right on track with what we found as well. Please post on the 21.5 and then I'll confirm what we found as well.

The spec tires are not perfect for any car that I've seen or raced yet, so it is work for all cars to get the most out of them. But boy do they ware well!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Last night at NorCal Hobbies carpet racing, Crashby and I traded our 13.5/lipo setups for 17.5/lipo setups on our Gen-X 10 cars. We were only .1-.2 seconds off of our lap times of last weekend with the 13.5s. I was totally surprised to be that close in times. We figure that OD's car with 13.5/4-cell is sandbagging us...LOL. Will try 21.5/lipo combo on Sunday to see the performance of that.

Also, we both went from Jaco Purple/Pinks to the 1/10th pan spec tires. He had the IIC foams and I used the new CRC foams. No real difference to my thinking.

I won last night; so, score is now 1-1. Crashby gets fast lap; but, I TQ. Really close and really fun!
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #171
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
So far you are right on track with what we found as well. Please post on the 21.5 and then I'll confirm what we found as well.

The spec tires are not perfect for any car that I've seen or raced yet, so it is work for all cars to get the most out of them. But boy do they ware well!!!
Due to rain, today got called as a carpet race day. Therefore, we did not get to really test with the 21.5s. Crashby tried using lower level lipo batteries. He thought that his using the Orion 3200 lipo with his 17.5 motor was a good compromise.

In regard to racing. Crashby and I basically used our 5000 packs with the 17.5 motors on the same spec tires mentioned earlier. I TQed and had the fast lap; but, he won the race. Score is now 2 to 1...I suck! OD Purple with his 13.5/4-cell car was competitive against us for a good portion of the race; so, there seemed to be more parity than last week. Next weekend is a Ground Pounders race that accepts 13.5/4-cell and 17.5/lipo in WGT. I may attend. We should know more after that.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #172
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Actually Ashby ran a 21.5 with a Lipo 1st round and was about as fast as 13.5/4 cell but the motor had to be geared very high in comparison.It was very warm and faded at the end of the run it seemed. I don't know...the Orion 2400
lipo he ran slowed his car down for sure.Neither test proved parity to the 13.5/4cell combo.I think the 17.5/Orion 2400 Lipo combo seems to be the closest IMO.Buts its just my opinion.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #173
Tech Elite

Ground Pounders uses BBR rules, they are lipo 7.4 13.5 or 4 cell 10.5 No WGT

We have a lot more testing to do if we are to determine whether there can be parity between lipo and 4 cell. Personally, I don't think there can be. We may be able to figure it out for our local track but the same formula won't work at a different venue.

Basically the 21.5 is slower than 4 cell 13.5 and 7.4v lipo 17.5 is faster.

We've talked about limiting the gearing, or using a smaller capacity lipo pack.

IMO the best solution is to keep this a 4 cell class. I don't want to turn anybody away but the 4 cell 13.5 combo is the best way to go for this class. Perfect power to handling ratio. I'll keep running my LEGAL WGT car

Last edited by odpurple; 11-09-2008 at 10:08 PM.
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #174
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
....We've talked about limiting the gearing, or using a smaller capacity lipo pack.

IMO the best solution is to keep this a 4 cell class.... I don't want to turn anybody away but the 4 cell 13.5 combo is the best way to go for this class.
Then keep talking because IMO limiting to 4 cell is the fast lane to killing the class before it can get started. 4 cell limit in a 1/10+ size RC is not exactly gunna bring em, especially when new chassis that can go both ways are likely where the manufactures will continue to head. Many people want cross compatable hardware...i.e. batteries, motors, esc's, ect. I know locally 1/12 is really struggling and people that are tired of NiMh blues are one big reason.
I just threw away 18 NiMh's that I let sit too long, not because I got the $190.00 I payed for them in use...but because I neglected to charge and monitor and they self discharged their way to the trash...good riddance.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #175
Tech Elite

When I say that I think 4 cell 13.5 is the best solution for the class I didn't mean to say it is less work. Its just the best power to handling ratio. We will never achieve exact parity with 4 cell if we run lipos. We are trying it here, and as I said, we may figure it out for our local track, but it probably will not work the same at other venues.

The current crop of sub c batteries are reliable and easy to maintain (I do nothing to my batteries between weekly races), and really cheap. Honestly, I don't understand why its such a big deal
Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #176
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Then keep talking because IMO limiting to 4 cell is the fast lane to killing the class before it can get started. 4 cell limit in a 1/10+ size RC is not exactly gunna bring em, especially when new chassis that can go both ways are likely where the manufactures will continue to head. Many people want cross compatable hardware...i.e. batteries, motors, esc's, ect. I know locally 1/12 is really struggling and people that are tired of NiMh blues are one big reason.
I just threw away 18 NiMh's that I let sit too long, not because I got the $190.00 I payed for them in use...but because I neglected to charge and monitor and they self discharged their way to the trash...good riddance.
Nice job of blowing smoke out your azz! You don't even have one yet!
You have to be the biggest crybaby in the northwest, I want it my way!
Learn how to set a car up and drive, then you won't have to have a class for yourself!
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #177
Tech Elite

Does anyone have any links to video's etc of this 10th GT 'Pan car' style class?

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #178
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
Nice job of blowing smoke out your azz! You don't even have one yet!
You have to be the biggest crybaby in the northwest, I want it my way!
Learn how to set a car up and drive, then you won't have to have a class for yourself!

Well....Dr Jeckle and Mr Fred...welcome.
I thought the bigest crybaby in the NW was banned from racing at certain track?? No??

This is a common sense issue...limiting a class to spec 4 cells while its just trying to start out...I believe thats the title. I just spend $450.00 for something capable of running "todays" LiPo's for a reason...not to be limited by "the commitee"....oh...and btw...I didn't buy the only one so that part about my own class was pretty lame.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #179
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
When I say that I think 4 cell 13.5 is the best solution for the class I didn't mean to say it is less work. Its just the best power to handling ratio. We will never achieve exact parity with 4 cell if we run lipos. We are trying it here, and as I said, we may figure it out for our local track, but it probably will not work the same at other venues.

The current crop of sub c batteries are reliable and easy to maintain (I do nothing to my batteries between weekly races), and really cheap. Honestly, I don't understand why its such a big deal
I know what you mean OD. At alot of tracks people who are trying 7.4 volt lipo are realizing that the speed is too much and they are finding themselves buying motors specific to the car instead of 4 cell batteries specific to the car. On some of the real big 1/8th tracks and Go Kart tracks,guys are liking the lipo/10.5 and better. For big races you will see that 4 cell is going to be the norm. 6 cell is what killed the class to begin with. The cars were too fast and they were dangerous. If people are going to run indoors with lipo, they will need to motor down to keep it realistic and safe. Being that lipo's are becoming so popular, I think that lipo and 17.5 will become a user friendly class. We will have to wait and see i guess.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #180
Tech Elite

Its conversations like the one between Verndog, OD and C_O that are what will keep this class from growing. You cant be figuring out what to change about a class when its barely gotten started. I have a CRC Pantoura I bought just for this class along with NIMH batteries, and a 13.5 motor (heck I even got a PT too). Maybe its just me, but Im not going to turn around and buy LiPo packs at this juncture. Im sure its the future but I think the best course of action to help this class grow is to get behind the way its been done at the IIC and will be done at the US Champs in Cleveland instead of ******** and complaining like a bunch of ****** babies who cant seem to get their way. This class needs stability right now and those kind of conversations wont do a ****** thing for helping this class to grow on the club level.