Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By futureal

Yok MR4TC SD SSG Special

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up Yok MR4TC SD SSG Special

I'd like to hear all views from people that actually race this machine, or have built one. I'd like to know about what it does well and what it does badly. I own one myself and intend on racing it for at least one season, starting this winter. My views so far are that the shocks are superb, the diffs are silky and the look of the car is second to none. Can you add to this?
Old 09-19-2003, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Horatio,

There is already a subject created in this forum for the MR4TC SD,
please consult it.
I am sure that you will find a lot of comments and infos.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=14121
Old 09-19-2003, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Red face

Yet another newbie putting his foot in it Sorry, I'll be more careful in future not to repeat threads. How do I delete this one? I tried and it wouldn't let me
Old 09-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Me, personally... I don't mind reading the new posts on the same subject... Posts have a habit of straying from the topic and then you have to read through 100's of responses...

I just picked up my Yok a month ago... So far I love it, my local track is currently under renovation so I haven't gotten to run it there yet.. I have one that's a bit further, but no time to drive there so I'm going to have to wait...

The only thing I'm doing it getting the Rayspeed shock ends so I can use AE springs... Probably get the sway bar assortment, a rear shck tower for the front and a few odds and ends for strentght and weight...
Old 09-19-2003, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Thanks mate! Yeh, I tried that thread and it was full of unrelated stuff, so I'm glad now that I started this one! I've heard of racers putting the rear shock tower on the front. Why is this good? Does it just make the front shock stand up a bit or what?
Old 09-19-2003, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

That "other thread" should have all the info you need, but it is 114 some odd pages long right now, so I doubt you will want to read through it all. I would try to keep most comments in the other thread though (so we don't split the thread), but you can PM people and search for most information.

I have the SD and I absolutely love it (had a XXX-S G+ before). With the right setup, it is really fast, holds turns well and very easy to drive -- what more could you ask for? I just have the rear tower up front and an assortment of yok springs -- that's it (so far).

As far as the rear tower up front, it stands the shocks up for more steering and a more direct feel -- definitely recommended for tight, high grip tracks.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Thanks Rampant!! I race rubber on carpet, the track is tight so cars generally need lots of steering to be quick, so I think I'll be odering a rear shock tower (for the front) just incase!! Thanks again mate
Old 09-19-2003, 11:27 AM
R/C Tech Founder

There is really nothing wrong with having extra threads, although it's likely that many of the regular posters from the other thread will simply ignore this, so your best chance of getting a good response is in the other one.

At some point soon I will be branding threads as "the official xxxx thread" and linking them off of the main site, and then providing an easier way to search within a particular thread.
Horatio likes this.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Try a do a search for a good carpet setup. I run on a tight, indoor, pretty high grip asphault, but here are some things I found to give me quicker response and more steering:
- rear tower up front, top outer holes, second hole from inside on arm
- 0.8 - 1mm shim behind rear, front hinge pin mount (0* kickup, 4* total caster)
- front arms all the way back (4mm before arms/0mm back) (note a 3/1 setup is a little more smooth/consistant)

PM me if you want my full setup, althuogh I would recommend talking to some of the carpet guys. You may have some rigidity issues with the SSG chassis as several people seem to report the black chassis/stiffener is better for carpet.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

I'm definitely interested in the carpet setup... From the posts I'v read in the "other" thread... I tried to read it all... I may double stack the top plate... If they are having good luck with the black then I may pick up one of them...

I'll pm you for the setup...
Old 09-20-2003, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Nice one futureal

Rampant: Thanks for the addidtional set up info - I may well PM you shortly. I got to take the car for a couple runs last night and my initial impressions are very good. The car is very easy to drive and the out of the box handling is very balanced - I like it. I did notice what I believe to be a little bit of chassis flex and slight power on understeer. The flex may actually be a blessing in diguise and could be why I find the car so easy to drive compared to my old TC3 FT. However, I'll reserve judgement until I actually compete with it at the club/regionals etc. Cheers