Wiki Posts
Search

A Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default A Quick question

I am new to the on road side so forgive my noobishness.

What would be a good car for me to buy to get into the touring class - a car that would be competitive at the beginner level but still offer "room to grow" into some of the higher classes? Definitely don't want to spend my life savings on it, but, say for instance, is the E10 or traxxas car worth a look?

I have only limited experience with off-road electrics and only bashing experience on road, so any tips are appreciated.

As always, guys, thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Hey. Welcome to onroad racing.

The E10 isnt the best car for anything really. Not the best quality.

A good car to look at would have to be the Tamiya TA05. This is a great car because you can start in one of the Novice classes and work your way up to the stock classes with no problems. The kit starts at around $150US i think. Then you need your radio gear and batteries on top of that.

There are heaps of hopup options on the market for it. Spare parts are pretty easy to get for them too.

Another car i would recommend would be the Hot Bodies Cyclone S, pretty similar price to the TA05, might be a bit more expensive but its a good quality car aswell.

I hope that helps a bit

Tom
Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Welcome to the addiction! You might look on this site on the forsale or other sites and maybe try to find something used that come with some parts or something. That way it might help save money. The Tamiya would be okay to start with.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Regional Moderator

Visit the track you would be racing at and see what chassis seems to be the most popular, then try to find one on the Buy/Sell forum. That way, chances are you will be able to get setup help, and guys will have spare parts that you might not have. Also, if you have a track that is part of a local hobby shop, see what they carry. That way parts availability shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would look at the Tamyia or the TC5. With the TC5, you get X-Ray and Corally performance at $150 cheaper new.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamNuts
I am new to the on road side so forgive my noobishness.

What would be a good car for me to buy to get into the touring class - a car that would be competitive at the beginner level but still offer "room to grow" into some of the higher classes? Definitely don't want to spend my life savings on it, but, say for instance, is the E10 or traxxas car worth a look?

I have only limited experience with off-road electrics and only bashing experience on road, so any tips are appreciated.

As always, guys, thanks in advance for the advice.
if your not ready to spend your life savings.... dont even bother getting into on-road. all sarcasm aside....

the Hot Bodies Cyclone-S and the Tamiya TA05 are great beginner cars that be hopped up as you increase in skill.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The TA05 is second to none for the price. the cyclone is good, but a little fragile.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Find a used Xray fk05 or fk04 with parts from $80 - $150