Wiki Posts
Search

Touring ESC

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Default Touring ESC

Dear RC-techies,

I'm looking for some info, as I am rather inexperienced in Brushless stuff.

Situation is as follows:
In my surroundings, most competitive Touring drivers run with LRP-esc's. These ESC's are certainly pretty good ... but so is the price, and actually above the budget I had planned for myself as a noobish 1/10 electro touring-driver.

ATM I have a Novak GTX installed in my Tamiya Ta-05 (planning on switching to a TRF 416) but this GTX is showing some errors (no more brake function?).
Since I want to buy a new one, why not making the switch to Brushless.

Now my questions:
* How does a Losi Xcelorin perform as a Touring ESC? (Over here in Belgium AFAIK it is mostly used as an off-road ESC).

* Is there a performance difference between a Xcelorin Sensored and a Xcelorin Sensorless, explaining the difference in price?
Must be, I guess, because the sensorless one has the advantage that it can run every brushless motor. The Sensored can obviously only run Sensored motors.

* How would a Castle Creations Mamba Max perform in a touring car.
This ESC is sensorless, BUT has the advantage that it can run both Brushed and brushless motors.

* Can a Sensorless ESC run every type of Brushless motor (so Sensored AND sensorless)?

thx for all info!

Ludo
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Speedo

Originally Posted by Low_E
Dear RC-techies,

I'm looking for some info, as I am rather inexperienced in Brushless stuff.

Situation is as follows:
In my surroundings, most competitive Touring drivers run with LRP-esc's. These ESC's are certainly pretty good ... but so is the price, and actually above the budget I had planned for myself as a noobish 1/10 electro touring-driver.

ATM I have a Novak GTX installed in my Tamiya Ta-05 (planning on switching to a TRF 416) but this GTX is showing some errors (no more brake function?).
Since I want to buy a new one, why not making the switch to Brushless.

Now my questions:
* How does a Losi Xcelorin perform as a Touring ESC? (Over here in Belgium AFAIK it is mostly used as an off-road ESC).

* Is there a performance difference between a Xcelorin Sensored and a Xcelorin Sensorless, explaining the difference in price?
Must be, I guess, because the sensorless one has the advantage that it can run every brushless motor. The Sensored can obviously only run Sensored motors.

* How would a Castle Creations Mamba Max perform in a touring car.
This ESC is sensorless, BUT has the advantage that it can run both Brushed and brushless motors.

* Can a Sensorless ESC run every type of Brushless motor (so Sensored AND sensorless)?

thx for all info!

Ludo
Take a look at the speed pasion Speedo http://www.speedpassion.net/
Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

or the EZRUN 60A.
I am waiting for one to arrive,very curious to see how it perform
Old 09-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

yo guys, that's nice side-info ... but no answer to any of my questions lol

So why shoul I look into these Speedcontrollers, what are the advantages of these devices? Why choosing them?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Default Sorry

yo guys, that's nice side-info ... but no answer to any of my questions lol

So why shoul I look into these Speedcontrollers, what are the advantages of these devices? Why choosing them?
Sorry, figured you would read the difference and answer your questions yourself.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lidebt2
Sorry, figured you would read the difference and answer your questions yourself.
sorry, so there is an article explaining the subject of my questions on the site you proposed?
I allready have been looking to this (slow)site but have not yet found this.

[edit]

Aha!
found the image on the Speedpassion Competition 2.0-page, saying their motor was used by top-touringdrivers to win the European Touring Championship.
Well that says a lot
But haven't found this info on their speedo's
Old 09-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can't answer yourquestion on the losi products because I don't run them. As for the castle I do have one. Its a great speedo and you can plug the mamba max into your computer and program it that way if you want. The only problem with it is that although it can run both sensored and sensorless motors it tends to cog (hesitate) at the start when using sensored motors. It's fine once your moving though. I believe it has something to do with the way the speedo is designed to run with sensorless motors. I know caslte is woring on new stuff as well.

That said you should go to each manufacturers web site and dig up the info on the speedos and motors. Most have it posted somewhere.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kregger
That said you should go to each manufacturers web site and dig up the info on the speedos and motors. Most have it posted somewhere.

Well, it 's my mistake then. In my first post I wrote I needed some info ... but what I meant was that I look for some personal experience.

The info provided here is great! (thx lidebt2 and guinnes.s!!) but I actually want some objective feedback from "within the field".

I do have a Mamba Max myself, but it is mounted in my Asso B4 and I haven't driven it much yet + I have no experience whatsoever in running BL sensored, so I can't compare.
The only thing I, as a noob, noticed, was that when switching from my Novak GTX+ Orion 13T brushed motor to then CC 5700Kv-motor + Mamba Max was a nice increase in power.
I haven't experienced any cogging yet.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

sorry, so there is an article explaining the subject of my questions on the site you proposed?
I allready have been looking to this (slow)site but have not yet found this.

[edit]

Aha!
found the image on the Speedpassion Competition 2.0-page, saying their motor was used by top-touringdrivers to win the European Touring Championship.
Well that says a lot
But haven't found this info on their speedo's
http://www.racing-cars.com/products.asp?recnumber=11615
Old 09-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

First off what class do you run? If you are running anything but mod you are going to have to get a sensored esc. Sensorless will not work with higher turn motors.

From what I understand you are looking for a esc that will run sensored, sensorless, and brushed motors. That is the reason you were given the speedpassion link due to that esc being able to handle all of those configurations.

I don't have any experience with the losi but it looks good on paper and are a good price however the speedpassion is about the same price and to me performs better.

Whatever you do spend the couple extra dollars and buy a sensored esc if you are serious about racing.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with the Tekin RS http://www.teamtekin.com/rs.html
Old 09-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

If you have a novak then I say stay with novak contact novak through there website try to get intouch with Charlie his the man he can answer all the question you have and probaly fix the speedo your having problems with great customer service...My two cents ...Later Drew
Old 09-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Default GTX

Stay with the GTX, it is a great speedo, and save your money. Novak has great customer service, they will either replace it or fix it for you. I have both brushless and brush setups. I love the GTX because it is small enough to fit on chassis that have very little room for a brushless setup. I find that the LRP and Novak brushless setups are big and bulky. If you don't mount them properly you risk a crash damaging them. Just my two cents.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Losi Excelorin is fine for TC. I have three of them and you should get the sensored version. You do not have to buy the combo unless you want to use the Losi motor. The speedo will work with any sensored motor out there. It also has software you can use to change settings through your laptop or desktop PC. It essentially is like a Mamba from what I am told as far as the software thing. I personally have never used the Mamba products though.

The size of the Losi speedo is about the same as the Novak GTB. I personally have mine mounted that it over hangs the chassis a little, but I have not experienced any issues so far with it mounted that way. They other way would be to mount it on it's side then you run the risk of the fan getting broken. I have these speedos mounted in a Losi Type R, so it is going to over hang the chassis the way I mount them but I feel it is safer then mounting it on the side of the speedo.

Hopefully this helps you out on your questions since no one wanted to answer them directly and wanted to send you off to another product.