Community
Wiki Posts
Search

fantom motors, putnam motors?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 02:12 PM
sac
Tech Regular

Talking fantom motors, putnam motors?????

just posting this and starting this thread to get peoples opinions and comments on fantom motors, putnam motors and other companys building motors like these.

also list any tips for getting even more performance out of these motors.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

These are strong motors along with Team 1, I know I am biased. Each motor company works hard at getting the motors to run at their best. Pesonally, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Hearing some of the stories about the bigger companies about their tuned motors I just scratch my head.

Putnam has some really strong stock motor brushes out there and they will be available at kthobbies.com soon. Opps, let one of the cats out of the bag.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

I've been running Fantom Ti's since they were available and the Black caned yokomo before that. Generally been very happy with them. Very neatly wound arms.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i have run both fantom and team 1 motors and brushes....i have also used putnam brushes...you cant go wrong with these companies....
Old 01-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: fantom motors, putnam motors?????

Originally posted by sac
just posting this and starting this thread to get peoples opinions and comments on fantom motors, putnam motors and other companys building motors like these. also list any tips for getting even more performance out of these motors.
My advice from Fantom motors.

The fantoms with Ti cans are a lot torquier than the black Yokomo or EPIC can. Are very simmilar to Reedy Ti, but are on the rpm side (they have a little more rpm than Reedy, but a little less torque).

Put some Reedy Quasar and Reedy Off-Road with a little bent for more spring tension and the timing at about 20º-22º if you're using twelves, if you plan to run some hotter winds like 10's then the advance should be a little less (between 16 and 20º).
Old 01-11-2002, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Course-R, yes generally agreed. Not that keen on Quasars myself i prefer to run with Orion 41015. Generally use Fantom's red or purple springs. Regularly run timing up to 24 with 12 turn and did once run a 12x2 off the scale!! I had it on a Fantom/RSR dyno and the more timing you ran on it, the better it got in all departments!
Old 01-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by MattW
Course-R, yes generally agreed. Not that keen on Quasars myself i prefer to run with Orion 41015. Generally use Fantom's red or purple springs. Regularly run timing up to 24 with 12 turn and did once run a 12x2 off the scale!! I had it on a Fantom/RSR dyno and the more timing you ran on it, the better it got in all departments!
Lately I've conducted some testing with some friends and other people testing and tweaking some motors. Quasars, Fantoms Medium silver and LRP's 6001 & 6003 are the best brushes by words of those people.

Sincerely, my preferred brushes are Quasars and LRP's 6001. Quasars is better for some motors and pushes up the torque, LRP high silver is very rpmish and preferred for pan car racing, simply I haven't used one brush from TO from a year ago.

Remember: with the dreaded 12 turn limit (the worst thing that those square brains from EFRA have decided on many years) pushed us to extract all the power available from those babies pushing us into a ridiculous expectancy of life of our motors, brushes and forcing us to buy the most expensive batteries from the market.

Simply I'm exausted of those sillyness. If this continue like this so many tourers (and I) from many countries abandon touring and go to other classes, like touring gas or Off-Road where the limitations (if there are any) are simply less restrictive or simply they don't exist.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone have comment on the Xipp motors?
Old 01-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

course-R the only Fantom brushes available in the UK are "low Silver" these are full face (I think they are actually Reedy 737) and have very low power on the Dyno, and "High Silver". They are serrated and very high power but very short life. In fact the last time i used them you could feel that they had gone off during the first run. The other is the Quasar, which i haven't seen very good power with on the dyno.

The Orion 41015 is a new brush from them and has only been available since about half way through last year (Off rd Euros). It is rated at 2-6 runs. Generally with 12 turn at last year's nationals i was getting 2-3 runs from them.

Never run any LRP brushes so not sure how they compare.

For club racing i will generally use Corally Universal brushes. Very well lasting and good power.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Any motor that is 10 turn or lower the Quasar brush works good. When you start to get up into the 12 turn range it does not work as good. The only brushe that I know that works good is the 312 from Fantom. According to Fantom their 321 works good in the same application as the Reedy Quasar brush.

Sounds like you guys got your hands tied behind your back with the 12 turn limit rule. I hope we don't run into the same problems you guys had over here with the 10 turn rule.