R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Tech Elite
Default Jumps for Carpet Track

I know this is the electric On-Road thread but there's going to be more folks here than anywhere else that can give me good advice.

It's time to begin prep for the indoor season. I'll have two tracks, one a 1/10th scale and the other a small scale track, to help run. I want to add jumps on the carpet and run off road vehicles with foam tires as an additional class.

I'll want to run on-road and off road on the same race day, placing the jumps in and taking them out between races.

Here's what I think I need in designing and building jumps:

A design made from materials that are light enough that children can by themselves move the jumps.

Cost efficient

Easily stored

Anyone steer me in a good direction? Thanks.
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

We do this at our track for the Slash class.
The racers enjoy the class so much everyone runs to help lay out the tracks obsticles.

We have two table tops 8' x 4' with 2' hinged on each side using 2x4 on edge fro the higth. works great. way lay to sheets of 1/8th masonite behinfd the jumps as to protect the carpet from the trucks landiing .
We lay chair mold or decrative house trim with the hook side velcro to hold in place and make ripels and a wagon wheel in a corner. never have moved and easy to lay out.

OUR WEBSITE IS www.easttexasrc.com you can view photos also at www.acotten.zenfolio.com

Steve Crane
4TH Annual Fall Cla$$ic: Mike's Hobby Shop November 12-14, 2010 www.easttexasrc.com www.mikeshobbyshop.com 17.5 Rubber Sedan, 13.5 Rubber Sedan, 17.5 1/12TH, 13.5 1/12TH, WORLD GT, stock sedan and SLASH
steve crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Just a thought, but install a landing pad after the jump. Entry way mats or scap of carpet to keep the trucks that bottom out or end-over from digging into the carpet used in touring.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You need to go to www.fastcats.ca
Send an email to the owner John, or ask th question in the forum.

He built a modular indoor offroad, carpet track and it is amazing.
If you search you tube under offroad, Fastcats you can see video.
George B.
Sponsored by Serpent / SRX2 MM, RM, SC / Serpent SRX4
MoFo paints
energyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Here's some I found on youtube:

chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Tech Regular

we have brought offroad inside on carpet but you have to know that we change up the track each week, so we will run a week of offroad and then the next onroad... we cover our onroad track completely with an indoor/outdoor carpet and jumps...takes about 1 1/2 hours to set up the offroad and 3-4 hours to setup the onroad (mostly because we have to vacuum the onroad carpet which takes some time)

some people like it - it gives them a chance to change vehicles and not get bored each week
-it gives some people who are diehards a week off (they aren't missing anything) and their families are happier
-and some diehards have gone greater distances to find onroad carpet

BUT the biggest thing is the number of people it has brought into the building and this year after the offroaders found such a difference in their summer racing abilities we expect to be busier than ever with some offroaders buying into onroad for more wheel time

we run schumacher tires only...you can run whatever you want but you won't have a chance of winning

so far it has been a good adjustment for us....
fastcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to acyrier

We do the change-over 3 times a night (2 heats and a main) www.michianarc.com. were closed for the season (till end of this month) but are doing work on the track. I'll take some pictures of the ramps and such. They are made of 3/4" plywood "braces" and masonite surfaces. work well, and are light.
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote