Search

Looking to get in 1/12 electric

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default Looking to get in 1/12 electric

Hello gentleman,

I've been running nitro for the past 7 years looking to do some electric racing during the winter months. Just want some advice on a good 1/12th scale chassis. I know very little about electric and less about 1/12th scale.
I don't want to start a (this vs that) debate. Just looking for a decent solid platform to keep my skills honed during the winter months.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Pass you soon...
Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Elliott,

May I suggest stopping by The Gate this coming Saturday, Sept 6 (doors open at 9AM). www.clevelandcarpetracing.com

There will be quite a few 1/12 cars there for a test & tune day....Associateds, CRCs, Corallys, etc. containing many different speed controls and brushless motors.

It would be a good opportunity to do some hands-on "window shopping", see the cars actually run on the track, and see what you like best. By going with a car that others race at The Gate, you'll be able to get plenty of setup help.

Another suggestion is to speak with your local store that you told me about, and see what brands they could get for you....most likely the Associated and CRC cars if they deal with Horizon Distributors. I also know you deal with Ashford Hobby on occasion, and they carry the CRC car.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

There really are no bad kits out there, as McSmooth said it'll be easier to get going quick if you pick a car that you can get setup/parts help localy for. I personaly like the BMI car, a bit more than the Assoc but has all the upgrades in the base kit.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Mike,
I'll see if I can clear my schedule and make to the Gate next Sat. I know we talked about it; but I'm getting old and forgot everything we talked about.
take care. Also Mike I got a ton of ?'s for you about the electric side so Hopefully I'll see you Saturday.

Pass you soon...
Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've owned a lot of cars out there and I'll give you a short little blurb on each...

CRC T-Force: Still a great car, one of the easier to setup and drive cars out there IMO. Comes with a lot of hopups.

Assoc. 12L4: See above but expect to spend some money on things like lowered pods to make it as nice as other cars.

CRC CK 3.2R: A little bit twitchier and unpredictable than the T-bar cars, but when right will turn a slightly faster lap IME.

CRC GenX: Similar to the CK 3.2R but the new frontend is very nice and parts support is usually pretty good.

Corally SP12M Euros Spec: Damper tubes are awful, but beautiful car that was fast. Must have corally wheels and the compounds aren't the greatest.

Corally SP12X: Again, beautiful work by corally, parts are expensive, same damper tubes as above, you can get a US spec and use any tires, also there's a kit available with an associated front end.

Speed Merchant Rev 5: Drives great and of all my cars I feel it's the one I could lap the fastest with. I'm not crazy about the new front end they use and it may frustrate some, but it works well. Parts support has been reported to be iffier than other brands.

If you want to get something cheap and used just to see if you like 1/12th scale I'd say look for a Rev 4, 3.2R, or T-Fource Team Red.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Ike,

Thats what I was looking for!!!

Pass you soon...