Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless Motor Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 12:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been to the modeltech website. Awesome looking Brushless motors.
However, don't understand the specs.
The BL motors on the site does not state how many turns or max rpm.

Can someone make a comparison on the specs with a standard mod motor.
Example, Max RPM, number of turns, etc.
I read that a BL motor can reach rpms of over 100,000. WOW!!!
Old 09-08-2001, 01:30 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by porkybmx
DTM you have a BL system? How is the run time?
I have the Modeltech B47s. In terms of runtime I get around 7-8 minutes with a pack of 2000s. However, the speed of the motor is probably equivalent to around 7-8 turns so the runtime for that speed is not bad. The only way I can see anyone getting 15+ minutes is if they are easy on the throttle..... I don't fall into that category!
Old 09-08-2001, 01:32 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

BTW... the runtime is running on a tight technical track so that may have something to do with it also!
Old 09-08-2001, 01:36 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by 29TC
Can someone make a comparison on the specs with a standard mod motor.
Example, Max RPM, number of turns, etc.
I read that a BL motor can reach rpms of over 100,000. WOW!!!
For the 100,000rpm limit.... this is the software limit on the speed controller... you can theoretically hit it if you go crazy with the no. of batteries. For my B47s motor I think it falls in at around 47000 rpm with 6 cells.

Modeltech normally quote the motor speed as xxx rpm/volt. Just multiply that figure by 7.2v (avg) if you are using 6 cells. This is the unloaded max speed so don't expect that when the car is running! (but this is no different to any other motor spec!)
Old 09-08-2001, 01:40 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Brushless and belt drive

Originally posted by modeltech
Our brushless motors do not cause any problems with belt drive transmissions. Obviously however if you use the full potential of the motors all the time then the belt life will be reduced, but this is no different to using an ultra low wind, high rpm, brushed motor.
Mike - ModelTech
Hello Mike... hows things in the UK? I'm the one who got the "carbon wheels" from the crazy group in Hong Kong who bought 4 B47s! The wheels are great... still going strong!
Old 09-08-2001, 01:43 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by porkybmx
Here it is sorry
The Novak BL motor looks a lot like the "OLD" Modeltech BL motor. I hope they spend some money on the motor configuration before they release it because it is already outdated NOW!

Those 3 wires coming striaght out of the motor is a very BAD configuration! Trust me.... from experience!
Old 09-11-2001, 12:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Of course, I trust you dtm cuz I encountered the same problem. haha. But Mike is sending me the new B4xR. Hopefully it won't go wrong again.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:13 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Haha... hello Diva.... you finually made it onto Rctech! You lucky b*****d! Do you still have time for your electrics....I thought you were full time GP at EGR!
Old 09-12-2001, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Guys! I just ordered my Bx4r from Mike. Gosh I cant wait till it gets here! I'll post how it runs in my corally when i get it!
Old 09-13-2001, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Red face

dtm: The reason for spending less time on EP is not because of the BL, but my real car. I've been busy for picking for a new car for the last couple of weeks. Now I've changed to a 7-seat with bigger room coz my Vitara is not big enough to house my toys. And when you have limited time, GP is much more convenient than EP. Agree?

BTW, my on-the-way motor is B8XR. It's cool!
Old 09-13-2001, 11:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

so guys, how good is the modeltech brushless motor.

The latest version supposed to be refined for cars or truck. But what about the power curve. It is driverable ? I have heard about really high RPM but also heard that they are or were either nothing or full power.

Compare to a 7 or 8 turn brushed motor?

like to know more before spending $400
Old 09-14-2001, 04:49 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Kitracer - I would wait untill Novak comes out with thier brushless before getting one. The Novak system was very smooth powerband, and ran at low speeds. They had them at the Chicago show inside a glass case on wheel rollers, to show them off & still be able to "drive" them.
Old 09-14-2001, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Word is it will be the 2nd quarter of 2002 before the Novak system becomes availible. Word at the show was they were 'having some problems'. Out of the three motor/ESCs at the show, two blew up and they wouldn't run the third...it stayed in the display case...
Old 09-14-2001, 01:23 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Accually, they had 2 in the case. One was an E-maxx, and the other was an offroad truck ( losi i think ). Both outfitted with the Brushless system. The truck was setup on a roller deal ( like fullsize car chassis dynos... w/ rollers... )

They would occasionally open it up and hit the throttle to show it how smooth the throttle was...ect.. But yes, it did run...
Old 09-14-2001, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

TSR6: It seems that you prefer a famous "brand". That's OK. But if I were you, I'd seek an objective comparison on the track. If fact, I don't know how Novak will perform (if it really release one). Perhaps one day I might get one from them. However, I'd never make my judgement just by "seeing" them drive in a show.

Kitracer: I've the first generation B47S BL system. I can tell you that IT IS DRIVABLE, with good care only since it's real fast. The reason for getting a 400-dollar kit is the total cost of ownership. Just try to calculate the 1 year cost for getting a good performed 7-turn : Motor, ESC, Lathe, Brush, Spring, expensive battery.

The more you play, the more you save!

There's no trick, it's only arithmetics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.