Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Schumacher Mi3 Setup Plate--Tweak, droop, workstation and more! >

Schumacher Mi3 Setup Plate--Tweak, droop, workstation and more!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Mi3 Setup Plate--Tweak, droop, workstation and more!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up Schumacher Mi3 Setup Plate--Tweak, droop, workstation and more!

I am gaging interest on the Mi3 setup plates. I will use the information to build minimum quantities.
Material and manufacturing costs are too high to just run a bunch over so if this is something you
may be interested in ...now is the time.

Now Shipping both US and International Orders.
We ran several over and there are a couple of unclaimed reserved plates as well, so orders are now open.

I have a webpage link below and Email link as well with more info.

http://www.ppdbillet.com/schumacher_mi3.html

Last edited by Verndog; 08-29-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It seems like if you made some the hold-downs adjustable / removable this could be a universal TC tool?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

I'm already being asked on other models. I plan the TC5 next as that
is another susceptible chassis to tweak (the ITF 2.0mm).

After that I'll see how this goes, it takes considerable time to reverse
engineer these chassis and fitup properly so there needs to be interest.

Please wait on those other chassis emails...now were are focusing
on the Mi3.

Thank You..
Kevin
Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
It seems like if you made some the hold-downs adjustable / removable this could be a universal TC tool?
The problem is cost, and location. There are clearance holes thru the plate to reset the bulkheads flat from bottom.
Those locations will vary chassis to chassis. Suppose I could make large cuttouts to cover alot...hmmm.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Kevin, it's gonna be funny when MY mi3 tweak station says JayBee on it
Old 08-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Verndog
The problem is cost, and location. There are clearance holes thru the plate to reset the bulkheads flat from bottom.
Those locations will vary chassis to chassis. Suppose I could make large cuttouts to cover alot...hmmm.
Is the material difficult to drill? Could you do a blank for the clearance holes and allow people to drill their own? I dont know. Just throwing things out there for you. Looks good.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Those are way-super-dope Verndog!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I know Kevin can clearly answer for himself but truthfully this was done as a favor for me. I've been after him about it for a few months now and after talking with myself & skypilot (another Schuie driver aka 2008 ROAR Nats Masters Champion), Kevin figured it would be worth it if there's enough interest.
Like he has mentioned his next venture is the TC5; it would realistically take months to configure something that could accomodate MOST chassis. I don't think it's possible and better yet wouldn't advise him to waste his time on it.
This might work out to be a chassis by chassis/ run by run project; so let's focus on the simple/do-able and it just might work out to be profitable for him.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

With how similar the shape of most cars on the market are today are, it wouldn't be too hard to make a universal plate, just make it out of flat aluminum rather than having the milled recess for the chassis, and maybe a little more adjustability on wheelbase. Other than that, all it would need are adjustable clamps and it would be set...
Old 08-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayBee
I know Kevin can clearly answer for himself but truthfully this was done as a favor for me. I've been after him about it for a few months now and after talking with myself & skypilot (another Schuie driver aka 2008 ROAR Nats Masters Champion), Kevin figured it would be worth it if there's enough interest.
Like he has mentioned his next venture is the TC5; it would realistically take months to configure something that could accomodate MOST chassis. I don't think it's possible and better yet wouldn't advise him to waste his time on it.
This might work out to be a chassis by chassis/ run by run project; so let's focus on the simple/do-able and it just might work out to be profitable for him.
My apologies. I thought perhaps if there was a simple way to make it universal he would only need to focus on one design and could sell to many more people. I didn't realize it would actually be less profitable for him.

I was also looking at it from a consumers standpoint. If its $100 I would rather spend $100 on something I can use for more then the 1-2 years I would keep the car. Isn't there already an updated Mi3?

Sorry again. I think its a good idea regardless. I'll shut-up now.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by abailey21
Kevin, it's gonna be funny when MY mi3 tweak station says JayBee on it
It doesn't...unless you plan to get all bloodied up.

I sent 2 down with JB. If someone with Schumacher plans to use it or wants to test or whatever I'll write that one off...just so long as it gets used. I cant afford to pass these out and not get used, as I have alot of cost and very limited supply until I can better gage the interest.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
With how similar the shape of most cars on the market are today are, it wouldn't be too hard to make a universal plate, just make it out of flat aluminum rather than having the milled recess for the chassis, and maybe a little more adjustability on wheelbase. Other than that, all it would need are adjustable clamps and it would be set...
Here is the main issue I have with universal. Chassis shapes and hole patterns will vary chassis to chassis. So now instead of drilling and taping the 14 holes I put in for just the Mi3 (I added plenty of optional locations for people that locate their electronics differently). So then since the shape and hole patterns vary, I end up drill, tapping say 30-40 holes and slotting several locations trying to accomidate everyone. Also we are using 1/4 dowel pins to locate the chassis, those are fairly inexpensive and accurate. Replace those with more "universal" and adjustable hardware and add more $$ and time. And every chassis has to be layed out because they dont just hand out cad models on these, I have to inspect, dimension, and build a solid cad model for each chassis. Now everyone will have to pay that extra machine time and reasearch time (longer wait as well).

I will be able to quickly mod this program to suit other chassis and one by one I hope to get the top 4-5 models fairly quickly. So...enough of business 101..(and thank you for the ideas guys..no problem putting all our heads together.)

Now...on the topic of buying for 2 years then new chassis. This cost is just over 2 sets of tires, and less then a LiPo...sell it with the car and get a real happy buyer for a bit more $$ as well.

Also...you could re-drill it yourself and tap new holes, its 6061 T6 aluminum, stable, cuts well, and will last many years if cared for.

Its been a long day...I put in 14 hours and knocked out 17 of these and looks like 10 are gone...so dont debate too long guys. Otherwise the competition will be doing this while your doing this.

Last edited by Verndog; 08-22-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Maybell
Those are way-super-dope Verndog!

Thanks Sean...they turned out very nice.

TC5 is next...sooner if you can round me up the ITF chassis. I have the stock 2.5mm and need to compare some dimensions.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Will a scratched up one be ok? I can take mine off my car...

Or I could order a new one if needed...let me know...
Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

The chassis wasn't changed with the MI-3.5

Isn't there already an updated Mi3?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.