Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silicone Diff. Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Default Silicone Diff. Oil

In the case i want to using a front diff rather than a spool on my car, just because my understeering trouble on the tight track.
But i don't want the front diff to be so rotative to provoke oversteering, just because i am racing on concrete, to prevent also the problem of lack traction.
So I suggest to purchasing Tamiya's Silicone Diff. Oil.

Could somebody comment how about my idea, then which density of them(5000, 10000, 30000), then anymore better diff oil from other brands to suggest, please?

Best regards
Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

most front diffs are ball diffs on electric on road. You can adjust them by tightening the adjustment screw. Usually just slightly tighter than the back is good.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cammer
most front diffs are ball diffs on electric on road. You can adjust them by tightening the adjustment screw. Usually just slightly tighter than the back is good.
Yeah, I confess this idea was 1 of my point.
In the fact, i am afraid could be the threat of over wearing on the balls and plates more on the front than rear, just like the situation of the tires, this is the point that i want an high density oil.

But thanks for your contribution!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if your trying to use diff oil on a ball diff (a non sealed diff), you might as well not bother, the oil will all be gone by the time you set the car down on the track. the key to not wearing out a diff fast is to build it properly so that you dont have to crank down on it in order for it to not slip. I wont go into detail on how to build a diff as there are meny threads here on how to.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Associated is best !
Old 08-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

I perfer Trinity Teflon Diff lube. You'll have to store the bottle upside down or you'll be waiting 10min for the first drop to come out. Just a little lube will do.

Locking a diff will increase tire wear which I thought you didnt want to do. On the front, locked diffs helps drive the car through a corner. But if you want to drive a car around a corner without locking the front there are other ways to do that. One could be having the front just a little more narrow that the rear. Shorten up the wheelbase, less castor thicken up the rear shock oil or dampen rate.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
if your trying to use diff oil on a ball diff (a non sealed diff), you might as well not bother, the oil will all be gone by the time you set the car down on the track. the key to not wearing out a diff fast is to build it properly so that you dont have to crank down on it in order for it to not slip. I wont go into detail on how to build a diff as there are meny threads here on how to.
In the case i use AE silicone lube in the rear, just because i think diff is too smooth since i run spool.
Of course, maybe i will use again smoother diff lube in the rear diff in the next rebuild, if i really have to use front diff.

Originally Posted by trailranger
I perfer Trinity Teflon Diff lube. You'll have to store the bottle upside down or you'll be waiting 10min for the first drop to come out. Just a little lube will do.

Locking a diff will increase tire wear which I thought you didnt want to do. On the front, locked diffs helps drive the car through a corner. But if you want to drive a car around a corner without locking the front there are other ways to do that. One could be having the front just a little more narrow that the rear. Shorten up the wheelbase, less castor thicken up the rear shock oil or dampen rate.
I think Trinity's 1 is just too smooth, with the picture i have saw.
I just want to try Nitro's silicone diff lube in the front diff, just to make the diff as Spool/diff behaviour. But the same time i don't want to have over wearing, that's why i don't want to lock it.

I could tell you the problem of the car is not really only out running on the corners and S curves.

My problem was my sorex 32R tires are going blistering but the car was so highbite, after 2/3 min of race my car becoming very difficult to drive, then my friend hadn't any problem in entire of the race then was also using the same compound tire with similar thickness and hardness of inserts, as i grab to comparing between our tires, so his car has double diffs, in the case is a TA04.
But anyway i will try running in the next race 36R with the same inserts(A-Medium), just because i think my last race the 32R was overheating, in the case of low air gap.

But i could tell you i have put my front shocks with softer springs, i am using already short front arms, front wheelbase are going closer a little with the rear.