R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Carpet racing with rubber tyres (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/238483-carpet-racing-rubber-tyres.html)

A Ilievski 08-22-2008 06:31 AM

Carpet racing with rubber tyres

Hi all

Ive been thinking about trying out rubber tyres here on the carpet track. Now the club says that we are not allowed to use traction compund. So i need to know what sort of tyre would work best with no traction compound but with tyre warmers. I was thinking something like CS-22. Is there tyres out there similar to the CS-22's?

The track is made of industrial carpet squares, so it's doesn't have as much grip as the ozite tracks etc..

Bit of a newby to the rubber tyres scene.

Thanks.........

H I 08-22-2008 09:49 AM

I used Much-more 24s with carpet inserts on last Friday to test rubbers on
ACT carpet. Unless you want to run drift class, don’t bother with rubbers on carpet tiles.

nemix 08-22-2008 10:37 AM

No tire sauce + industrial carpet is going to be really really tough to run rubber on with any success.

Any reason why you don't want to run a foam class given the track you're going to run on?

Perhaps you could push for them to allow simple green as a tire sauce. Its not as good as some of the harsh compounds, but its better then nothing, wont 'stain' the carpet, doesnt smell too bad, and any marks left should come up with soap/water steam cleaner or shampoo'r.

just a thought.

kufman 08-22-2008 10:48 AM

Wow, going to be pretty slick with rubber tires and carpet squares. Are you allowed to run treaded tires like HPI Advans?

Joel Lagace 08-22-2008 01:25 PM

Our club has been located in malls,banquet halls and other public buildings over the years... So i feel your pain..

We used to run paragon pre-touring car days... after we moved locations we could no longer allow the stuff.

We ran one year with no sauce the results: Tire wars.. This was way back when the losi street weapon was new so tire tech sucked. We ended up running PARMA tires. They had a strange rubber compound way different in look and feel to other tires but gave us ok grip.

Later we moved to TRINITY ZIP FREE: It added some stick but not alot. but i got the nick name GRIP FREE. :) some also used simple green

Some health conserns came up with some of our racers and when we relocated and had a chance to use paragon again the club agreed not to go there anymore. We stuck with zip free... In 2001 race at the indoor champs in cleveland and i met up with the Corally guys. Got to talking about our club and they sent us a case of JACK THE GRIPPER... Well finally we had a solution, pretty much no odour, healtyier? Well we dont know, but we did not smell of it when we got home. And grip was pretty good on both foam and rubber... Its 2008 and we still only allow that juice at our track.. And now there is a new bingo dabber type bottle out for easier application...

Anyway my long winded post. Give jack the gripper a try.

energyracing 08-22-2008 01:38 PM

Rubber on non Ozite carpet no compound=Limit motor to silver can.

Rob Burns 08-22-2008 01:40 PM

Joel, they're not allowed traction compound at all. It's one of the tracks I visited when I went back to Oz a couple of years ago.
It's in some government owned hall or something which is rented out the rest of the time so they can't leave any sort of remnants from racing. Jack still lays down a racing line even if it doesn't smell.

tim fry 08-22-2008 03:55 PM

Schumacher carpet dragons would be the weapon of choice :nod:

My favourite tyre is Sorex 28s with med b insert. Once Scrubbed they dont need additive really just a little loose for a couple of laps and then no problems.

TRF415boy 08-22-2008 04:00 PM

Pit Shimizu rain tyres in 26mm width :nod:

RC MARKET 08-22-2008 04:30 PM

indoor Sorex 28R with JB Foam & Paragon Gound Effect ! perfect !
many Top world driver in Hk same had use this !

A Ilievski 08-22-2008 06:19 PM

I don't mind running foams, i just wanted to try something different. For now i guess ill try some sorex 20;s and if they don't really work all that well ill just stick with foams.

Thanks for all the comments

trailranger 08-22-2008 06:42 PM

I think speedmind makes some LowHeightSeries Carpet tires so the sidewalls don't collapse with the increased traction.
I tired thier rubber tires this summer and ended up being a good asphalt tire. IMO better than the Sorex because of price and better than Takeoffs becuase the grip faded less run after run. There was just enough rubber to heat up and improve grip, but enough other syntehic stuff not to wear fast.

I suspect the carpet tires are the same. rubber compound designed to heat fast, but not wear fast.