Wiki Posts
Search

Ball diff

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Default Ball diff

hi all,

Does ball diff matter a lot as a modification? what does a ball diff do anyway?
Old 01-12-2002, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Ball diff

Originally posted by TRF-Powered
Does ball diff matter a lot as a modification? what does a ball diff do anyway?
In few words: yes. Installing ball diffs rather than plaing gear diffs gives you the availability of choosing the diff adjustment.

Lets see a low traction surface (by example: polished wood) when a tyre slips with gear diffs, all the traction goes to the slipping wheel. With ball diffs you can adjust tighter to limit those pesky effect.

Think that a ball diff is like an LSD diff with fixed adjustment. The behaviour of the diff is changed tightening or loosening it.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

so having a ball diff doesn't really help, if I don't know how to adjust the diff to the surface?
Old 01-12-2002, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by TRF-Powered
so having a ball diff doesn't really help, if I don't know how to adjust the diff to the surface?
Um... adjusting a ball diff is a question of sensitivity, first of all you need to know the track conditions. Trying to explain with words is very hard (at least for me).

My best advice is talking with the fast guys on your track and ask them about adjusting ball diffs regarding the track conditions. I don't know if someone can explain to you how to adjust ball diffs via this board.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

TRF-Powered,
Ball diffs are a good thing to have. They change the way the car drives , especially on slippery surfaces or with powerfull motors. Yes, they are ajustable but this is often not used once the diff is installed. To adjust, basically you want to run the diff (therefore the setting screw) as loose as possible before the diff slips, meaning the pulley can turn without moving the wheels.
On the downside, ball diffs are not really cheap, and they require maintence depending on the track you are using and how sealed or open your diffs are to dirt and grit. So depending on your car and category, they may not be that important. Dont forget many gear diffs are also adjustable by inserting oil or grease to make them act more like ball diffs, and they are more robust.
I would probably advise you to save the money and spend it on another battery or a better charger, more fuel (if nitro), a high powered steering servo (in any category), some better tyres, and especially more practice time. Tyres alone can save you up to two seconds a lap (considering many variables) where as the diffs may only save fractions of a second. It would probably be more worthwile waiting until the next car you buy, which will probably be a better kit and so include ball diffs anyway.
If you have any more questions, just post it, I'll help you if I can. It would also be better if we knew what kind of car you have, where you drive it and if you have handling or performance problems with it.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

http://www.rctek.com/general/differentials.html

Read this !!