Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

The Protoform "R9-R" is now ROAR legal.

Dale
Old 09-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I see a lot of guys complaining about this body not having enough rear traction. Would opening the holes on the wing help with this? I have one that I just painted one up and mounted the wing in the rear most position on the advice of all the people I have talked to. I was just curious if opening the slots on the wing would also help increase the rear traction?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ran mine with the wing slots cut and wing mounted to the rear and still didn't think it had enough rear downforce to keep the back end from over rotating on me in the sweepers (whereas the Mazda 6 or S6 has always held well). To be clear this is rubber tire on asphault.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Catalyst
I ran mine with the wing slots cut and wing mounted to the rear and still didn't think it had enough rear downforce to keep the back end from over rotating on me in the sweepers (whereas the Mazda 6 or S6 has always held well). To be clear this is rubber tire on asphault.
That's exactly what I am running on, but will run it on carpet also as our outdoor season is over at the end of the month. Thank you for your input.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I cut those slots out once on a speed 6 body and lost a lot of rear traction. Can't say I did the best job, it was a bit of a pita.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Well how can cutting the slots out of the rear wing give more traction on rear wheels? If you cut out the slots you decrease the surface area of the wing and therefor getting less downforce... or am i missing something rather important?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foodie
Well how can cutting the slots out of the rear wing give more traction on rear wheels? If you cut out the slots you decrease the surface area of the wing and therefor getting less downforce... or am i missing something rather important?
I did to see how different it felt, wasn't sure how much impact it would make.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Foodie
Mr Epp said it makes the wing more efficiant. Now if that means it gets more downforce or less I do not know. That was why I asked the question the way I did. It doesn't make sense to me either that is why I am trying to get it explained so my pea brain can wrap around it.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Guys;

Thanks for taking the time to post your test results with the R9-R. One of the reasons that the R9-R is intentionally a bit more aggressive (with more steering) is because of a trend that I have noticed with both the Mazda 6 and MazdaSpeed bodies ever since they were released. It's apparent that many racers, pro racers included, have been mounting the body a bit "forward" on the chassis in order to increase steering - sometimes as much as 5 to 10mm. I wanted to offer a bodystyle option where this was not necessary. It could be that I've overdone it a bit. If need be - I'll make a slight adjustment to give better balance, but I need a bit more time/feedback before I decide if that's necessary. It's still very new body.

JCarr;

A very valid question. Aerodynamics continues to be a bit of a "black art" . This is precisely why there are approx 10 different wind tunnels owned by F1 teams that run non-stop 24-7-365. You can never feel like you're "arrived" when it comes to understanding all facets of aerodymanics.
As I explained in a lengthy post (previously) regarding the slots/slats topic, in theory the wing works more efficiently when the slots are opened up, yielding slightly more downforce. There are many variables such as how well the body is trimmed and mounted and how fast the track is etc etc.

Dale - Protoform

Last edited by daleepp; 09-15-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dale,

Just to add, really appreciate all the hard work you put in to give racers choices with competitive ROAR/GBS spec bodies. This one wasn't for me (perhaps later iterations will suit me better).

If people are looking for more steering this will do it! I did try without the wing slots cutout initially then added them and moved the wing mounts to try different options. I cut along most of the trimlines including wheel wells (actually this body had the best cut lines for fit on the TC5 for the wheel wells). I use both the speed 6 and standard 6 (speed for more steering) but that's with my current setup.

I tried to keep the testing baseline standard without modifying chassis setup and on a track I knew my handling characteristics and laptimes with for a test bed. I know STLNLST was doing the same. This was on a medium grip treated asphault track with ambient temps in the 70s and track temp of 100-110*. For me I got everything I expected back as soon as I reverted to the Mazda6 (and I do run it about 5mm forward as you mentioned).
Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Thank you Dale for taking the time to respond to these things. I know you have got to be busy and I thinkg it is great that you come on here and do this. I love the protoform bodies, but I'm just getting bored with the same ol' same ol'. The R9 is something very different and I got one as soon as my shop got it in stock. I look forward to trying this body out and I think I will try it with the slots closed and open. I have a second wing so I can test back to back to see if an amature can feel a difference. I'll let you know how it feels for me after this weekend.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I'm just wondering if anyone at Protoform sleeps...I see 3 body release announcements on the front page alone. Is Dale really Chuck Norris in disguise??

Great stuff...WE the racers salute you.

-rocky b
Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCarr
Thank you Dale for taking the time to respond to these things. I know you have got to be busy and I thinkg it is great that you come on here and do this. I love the protoform bodies, but I'm just getting bored with the same ol' same ol'. The R9 is something very different and I got one as soon as my shop got it in stock. I look forward to trying this body out and I think I will try it with the slots closed and open. I have a second wing so I can test back to back to see if an amature can feel a difference. I'll let you know how it feels for me after this weekend.
Dale is not a busy guy. He hangs out in his yard mowing his grass every other day.

Dale has been outdoing himself with these latest releases of some great looking bodies.

Great work Dale!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

dodgeguy;
You are so correct. The lawn's looking really good these day. I remember hearing wiseguy Jeff Foxworthy once say: " If you do out, mow the lawn and find a 68 Camaro....you just might be a redneck"

Works for me..... I keep finding these tenth scale molds!

Dale
Old 09-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Tech Adept

Will it fit on a Xray T2007? I mean the shock tower etc. can they clear under the hood of this body?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.