Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo >

SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo

SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo

Old 10-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I am curious how SMC is going to market this battery. Are they going to push this to try and replace nimh once and for all, or are they making this available to cash in on the few people that want it?

I really want this battery to work and plan to get one, but I'm going to catch a lot of hell at my home track and basically exclude myself from general acceptance at other tracks. I fear of having a stellar, breakout year in12th scale, and basically having it all invalidated because I'm running illegal gear.

How is SMC going to back me and others up in helping get this mainstream and accepted? I don't know if just being the first to have this available is going to be enough. I'm slightly concerned and now on the fence.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I dont see how it coudl be preceived as illegal if you running it with 4cell nihm, just as some poeple choose to run 5cell in TC against 6cell cars. ITs a choice if you dont mind lower voltage then you should have no issues.

But i honestly thing that because there is such a huge drop in voltage compared to 6 cells. 77% of 4 cells vs 83% of a 6 cells(5vs6) That the intent here is a new class. That hopefully will just be accepted and 4cell would fade away. But i think in smaller clubs the solution will be to just allow 1cell lipo to run with 4cell and you take the voltage hit untill more and more people get fustrated replacing blown cells in there nihms
Old 10-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

I completely understand your view, but I plan to motor up a touch(13.5) to compensate for the lack of voltage. This trying to run stock speeds, with all the wrong stuff, in a stock class has me worried.
On road in my area is down across the board, I think a couple guys will accept this very easily, but the resources just aren't there to make yet another class without killing both in the process.
I also understand that someone has to run this stuff to expose the masses to it's advantages/disadvantages.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Were offering this pack as we want to be part of the solution for 12th scale when it comes to batteries. Lipos seem to be the new power of choice so 12th scale racers should be able to benefit from the advantage of running Lipos. One of the main reasons why I think this needs to be done is that it will allow tracks to pick a motor that will give a good reasonable speed. At the moment 4 cell with 17.5 can be to fast for some of the smaller tracks.

For this to work properly we need speed control manufacturers to come out with speed controls with lower cutoff. I know that Novak is working on this and that the new KO speed control will have lower voltage cutoff. Not sure about LRP and others but I assume they will want to adapt to this.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Danny i saw Donny had posted that his lipo 13.5 12th scale car could run equal laps to his 4 cell nimh 17.5 .... Is there anything that can be done so that the 17.5 with a lipo could every get to the same speed without having to use a faster motor?

Cause i am not sure roar would call a 13.5 a stock motor only for 12th scale.

I cannot wait for the lipo pack btw...
Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

That's kind of the sticky spot we're going to get ourselves into. Only time will tell what happens at the club level, hopefully there's enough of us to make something of it so that something changes nationally.

This battery in a 10.5 Pro10 car would be pretty cool too.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Danny i saw Donny had posted that his lipo 13.5 12th scale car could run equal laps to his 4 cell nimh 17.5 .... Is there anything that can be done so that the 17.5 with a lipo could every get to the same speed without having to use a faster motor?

Cause i am not sure roar would call a 13.5 a stock motor only for 12th scale.

I cannot wait for the lipo pack btw...
13.5 is called super stock.... just add lipo!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

I might not have made myself clear..

What i was getting at was Donny had to go to a 13.5 with the lipo to run the same times as he did with the 17.5 nimh..

any motor and lipo will be slower than that same motor and nimh...

Well atleast with the lipo Donny Lia was testing.

I just hope there is a way to continue to run 17.5, 13.5 and mod, with a lipo and be able to run the same times as those same motors with nimh batterys. Or else the lipo guys will be at a big disadvantage.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wallstreet
I might not have made myself clear..

What i was getting at was Donny had to go to a 13.5 with the lipo to run the same times as he did with the 17.5 nimh..

any motor and lipo will be slower than that same motor and nimh...

Well atleast with the lipo Donny Lia was testing.

I just hope there is a way to continue to run 17.5, 13.5 and mod, with a lipo and be able to run the same times as those same motors with nimh batterys. Or else the lipo guys will be at a big disadvantage.
There is a way to run 17.5, 13.5, and mod with LiPo. In the beginning, you would simply run 13.5 LiPo with 17.5 4 cell at the club level. If the LiPo class grows, you can start a 17.5 stock class for the new people and the guys that just want good racing. Slowing down stock isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as there are faster classes for the guys that want to go fast.

So, the fix is to just keep the same classes if single cell catches on. It wouldn't be the first time we slowed the class down.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Personally I'd like to see a single cell lipo and 10.5 in WGT and 13.5 in the
12th cars
Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

the hoff and i plan on running a single cell lipo with 12th scale when this comes out, even as a seperate class if we have to.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any word on potential release date?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anybody seen or tried one of these:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7884

A single cell voltage booster, I don't know if it would be up to the job of running the servo/rx/esc control, but I have seen BECs rated at 1.5A. Nice price.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ianjoyner
Anybody seen or tried one of these:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7884

A single cell voltage booster, I don't know if it would be up to the job of running the servo/rx/esc control, but I have seen BECs rated at 1.5A. Nice price.
Tiny. 1A should be fine if running a capacitor on the RX. 3A is really for those massive servos with 150oz or .05sec transits
Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey guys, I am way late to this party. I have been out of R/C for roughly 4 years but am pondering getting back into 1/12th.

I have a nice PRC 1/12th chassis with all the CRC go fast parts on it. I am in the camp that wont get back into R/C if I need to screw with soldering irons, motor true'n, and peak charging NiMH cells to the point they damn near explode.

Now I run a T bar car and really dont want to change chassis.

SO while reading through this thread I got to thinking:

What about taking one of the existing 7.4v saddle packs and breaking them up? Like this pack. So you have a 4800 single cell 3.7v

I know this is a SMC thread, but there seems to be some good info here and I am looking for a good Tbar option since this pack in this thread doesnt seem to fit the bill. Just throwing around this idea. An example of a pack I was thinking of was this:

each cell dimmension is 2.7x1.7x.09 " That will easily fit on one side of my Tbar car, letting me put all the electronics and nessesary ballast on the other side of the car. I just busted out the caliper and I can fit safely a 3x1.8x cell without issue. I cant fit one of the hard case saddle packs, they are a bit larger.

Any chance SMC could release a single cell 3.7v at 25C that would fit in those dimmensions?

Any issue with this approach? I am looking to run a Novak GTB 4 Cell w/ SS13.5 motor .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.