Search

Factory Drivers and NiMh

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Example for our guys...

Outdoor Nationals-All 4600 cells
Upcoming Vegas- Some 4600 cells rest will be running SMC 5000 or Trinity IP3800 Lipo's.

But ,most are all starting to switch to Lipos.Our 2 Top guns Larry Fairtrace and Jason Schreffler have went Lipo. More or less that will be the norm come 2009......
Old 08-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bshack
I don't follow sheep. I follow what works the best. When I go to the track, I want to win the A main, not finish just in the A main. The pro's aren't worried about how many times they can run a pack per day. Quite frankly, neither am I. What I do want to see is WHAT type of Lipo's the Pro drivers are using and which ones are configured for each specific car. There just seem to be too many unsolved equations as of now. At least for me. Remember I am just looking for opinions.
Sounds like someone should do a back to back best of the best NiMh vs. Lipo TC shootout. :P
Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'll be on lipo at IIC as well
Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM
J_P
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by John Tag
Example for our guys...

Our 2 Top guns Larry Fairtrace and Jason Schreffler have went Lipo. More or less that will be the norm come 2009......
I thought Andrew was the top gun.....
Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J_P
I thought Andrew was the top gun.....
I ordered Killers Thunder Power 610 today. Andrew will be lipo soon too...
Old 08-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm so done with sub-c's
No more matching every week, to weed out the bad cells.
No more babysiting batteries to make sure they don't self discharge too much.

I think it's funny that some of you guys are trying to "keep up" with drivers who get their stuff for free, they get new packs when they go to a race.

It will go all Li-po soon, like it or not.

As far as sub-c's being faster, I would say MAYBE for the first minute or two.
And that's a MAYBE.
Li-po's run strong the entire race
Old 08-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mexi Brown
It will go all Li-po soon, like it or not.

My 12th scale disagrees unfortunately.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Rob Burns
My 12th scale disagrees unfortunately.
For now.
SMC already has prototypes
Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

It's funny because me and the local hobby shop and track owner, who is also a racer, were talking about why some of the top drivers still run NiMH packs instead of LiPo's if lipos are so much better. He said that it is because most of them are old school drivers who aren't convinced Lipo's are so much better. I honestly think that Lipo's will soon overtake NiMH packs and electric onroad racing.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Paid pros are advertising for the companies they represent. They likely run whatever their employers are trying to sell the most of.

When it comes to pro drivers, I don't pay much attention to what they use, but how they use it.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

why follow the big guns. batts used by the "big guns" aren't necessarily the best in the world. and if in case they're the best, there's also a high probability that the subc's they use are much more carefully handpicked for them and may be different from the usuall "matched" cells we can buy.

it's been said, lipos are strong, especially the newer batches.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run lipo since the NIMH advantage is not that big at the level I race at... IMO a new NIMH pack is still better for spec racing and even better for mod with the 5 cell weight rules.... So if you are willing to replace batts after a certain amount of cycles and go through the NIMH routine on race days then there is still some advantages to NIMH but with the new generation of LIPO you will see more and more factory drivers switching to LIPO....

Everyone assuming that factory drivers are using NIMH because of sponsorship is offbase IMO since all the Big NIMH companies also has line of LIPOs......
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I'll say this much. I paint bodies for quite a few pros and it's all about sponserships that's it....

I ran LIPO once that was it for me and NIMH.. I even sold my 1/12 until there's a lipo solution for that. It's nice to have a pack that's 8 months old and I can win an A-Main with (you didn't see that with NIMH) and if you think it was a regular club A-Main the guy who finished second has made the main at the Reedy race twice in very recent years.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PaintingRoly
I'll say this much. I paint bodies for quite a few pros and it's all about sponserships that's it....

I ran LIPO once that was it for me and NIMH.. I even sold my 1/12 until there's a lipo solution for that. It's nice to have a pack that's 8 months old and I can win an A-Main with (you didn't see that with NIMH) and if you think it was a regular club A-Main the guy who finished second has made the main at the Reedy race twice in very recent years.

So you don't see a performance advantage between a new matched NIMH vs Lipo???? I'm not talking about convenience or cost just track performance....
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vr6cj
Sounds like someone should do a back to back best of the best NiMh vs. Lipo TC shootout. :P
Actually, since I'm in a bit of an off-season period(all the guys around here are playing in the dirt, which is just not my thing anymore) & I have the Novak Sentry up & running, I'm planning to do just that. Though I won't be able to gauge actual lap times right now(they have the AMB decoder box outside & it'll likely stay there till the indoor season comes back), I can do back to back runs with a good NiMh pack(that wasn't used much before I went to LiPos) & my SMC 5000 pack & compare the voltage & current data under real race conditions. As soon as I get back to the track & have the chance to try some runs with both again, I'll try to report my findings...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.