Wiki Posts
Search

DIY Car Stand!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default DIY Car Stand!

Yeah, there wasn't any body work/fabrication section, and I figured a few of you guys might like the idea here...

I was cleaning up my desk area today, and I realized I had two old clear acrylic 7X5 picture frames. Since I was using a cardboard box as a car stand, I figure that I could use another...

The frame looks like this: http://static.eway.com/catalog/3/6018938_id.jpg

Anyways, I snapped off both of the rear sides of the frame (the part that holds in the picture) so I didn't have too much excess plastic. Then I hot glued them together (archaic, I know...) and tried to think of ideas for a paint scheme. I really didn't want this to be too plain, so I got a top view of a car, added dual racing stripes, the headlight projection, a random funky design on one side of the stand, and an attempt at a TA05 chassis profile on the other.

On the sides of the stand, I took advantage of the clear acrylic, and painted the inside silver, and masking the front side when I sprayed the whole thing down in silver. This allowed me to then mask a design on the sides (chassis and funky design), spray the whole thing in black, and when it was done, it gave a "mirror" like effect that looks much better than a normal masked look.

I couldn't do this for the top though, since the hot glue would have shown through the transparent-ness.

For paint, I used Duplicolor Flat Black and Primer Silver. I actually had to back the silver with a flat grey since it was slightly transparent when working with the sides of the stand.

Enjoy!

This took a while... My attempt at a profile of a TA05.

An Eclipse top profile mask.

Reminds me of Reebok,but it wasn't designed with that in mind. I promise

You can see the two frames glued together.

Believe it or not that is black... Looks grey in that lighting.

Can't really see the masking...

Invisible TA05.

Appear!

Closer look at the backed paint for mirror like effect.

Eclipse came out well. Though, I don't know how I feel about those stripes.

Funky design with mirror like effect.

This was a lot of fun, albeit time consuming. Those masks took a while to make, but I was glad I took time on them. The next step now is to clear coat it.

I want to get some quality clear coat though, since I haven't had good experience with testors gloss cote. Does anyone have suggestions? I'd be looking for a spray can, since I haven't learned how to air brush yet. I am definitely going to learn soon though.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wow I thought more people would have thought this was cool... oh well.

Anywho, here's a picture of the stand with the TA05 I modeled it after. In the mask I pretended I had a 2 deck chassis.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Haha, i use a dvd case, not as sophisticated as others
Old 08-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That ta05 thing is pretty cool. I like the double color depth.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nice work...Ill take one for free
Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys. It seems pretty strong seeing that it's held together by hot glue. The actual two pieces before hot gluing could hold up a lot of weight as well just based on the distribution of weight. I just tried pushing on it as hard as I could with my fist, and it didn't bend that much.

The masking was way too labor intensive to sell for free (though I would love to ), but I am going to be quite busy this year so I don't know how much RC-ing I can do, since I don't know if I can regularly run down batteries etc. So I might get into air brushing instead and be able to paint details without so much masking.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

that is really sweet man, i have a rc's and each of them have their own stands, if I come across a camera I will post the in here...
Old 08-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Lol, i gotta make me one of them! If only i could do something other than Mono-color paint jobs! Dammit!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That is pretty cool but i will always favor my Much More Stand (blue of cause )