Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Custom chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 01:41 AM
Tech Regular

ask arround see if you can find somone with a fulley automated machineing device

i have one at my school and using a special scanner and a little modifacations in a CAD program i can exactly replecate or modify the design the chassis i'm in the process of working one up for my c4.1 and it keeps the servo in the same spot but the cells down one side
me and my design teacher are trying to get the roll centers of the chassis and the electics ballenced corectly so it will corner alot more evenly
Old 09-05-2003, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

fasterdanu - "corally was the best company out there till they made the assasin" What's wrong with the Assasin?
Old 09-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Doggy- price is the only complaint I can see!!! otherwise the Assassin is a beautiful piece of equiptment!!!!
Old 09-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

my friend did this with a dremel...

http://www.rcracechat.com/forum/attachments/chassis.jpg

i made a chassis for my sp12g3...that had a servo arangement very similar to a sp12m....mine had cut lines just like that, if you take your time and wear a mask, im sure you will be fine

Old 09-05-2003, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Doggy- price is the only complaint I can see!!! otherwise the Assassin is a beautiful piece of equiptment!!!!
Yer that's what I think too, there are a few issues with the front oneways binding and stripped spurs that Corally is sorting out, but other then that it looks awsome. The pro kits when it comes out should make it a little more affordable.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default thickness ????

I am kinda new at this but I notice that it's .055 thick. Most chassis's seem to be 2.5mm or 3mm. These equate to approximately .0625 (1/16) and .072 respectively. I would think that the material your lookig at is a little to thin. Also, I would inquire as to whether carbon fiber comes in different grades. All carbon fiber may not be created equal. Examply 6061 and 7075 and both aluminum but VERY different in their material properties.

Just my 2 cents, good luck and let us know,
John
Old 09-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by BuddhaTech
ajg,

I wouldn't use that CF for a for even a skid plate! It's mearly a cosmetic piece and, not structural quality. It will not be cost-effective to manufacture your own chassis. It would be a great learning experience though. You should get some good quality CF and start with shock towers or battery braces...small stuff.

I can't stress the safety issues enough when dealling with CF. Here is a link to an MSDS for carbon fiber. Keep in mind that this is for only the carbon...not the resins and other chemicals used to bond the layers together. This link from the OHSA gives some info on the resins used in the layup of CF. The rest of the also provides some great info on the manufacture of CF and other advanced composites.

Hope this helps!
Wait a second. Our our carbon fiber plates are not mearly cosmetic pieces... For the record they are structural pieces and just happen to look great. In our rigid plates we use 2 layers of twill carbon prepreg fabric on the exterior for looks and then the inner plies are made up of 6 layers of uni-directional prepreg carbon laid up at 0, 90. and 45 degree angles on each side from the center. We use a Quasi-Isotropic or symmetrical layup which is a must for a strong and flat panel. The resin content is about 34-35% which is very low. More strength. It's very tough to get this low resin content with typical wet layup methods. In short these panels are very strong for their thickness.

These panels can be bonded together with a two part epoxy very well. Just make sure you rough the glossy surface up before you bond. As far as cutting goes, yes you can cut it with a dremel and a diamond coated wheel available at Home Depot for $12 but I would suggest sending us a drawing and we can have it water jet cut for $75.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would check these out...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=23503