Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging/Discharging Soultion under $200

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Charging/Discharging Soultion under $200

Getting a XXX-S G+ with a Novak Super Sport Brushless. I need to get a charger to complement getting back into electric RC.

The only thing in my price range (under $200) that seems to make sense is the Reedy Quasar Pro charger, but the reviews have been quite mixed so your input would be appeciated...

I am looking for:

1) Able to reliably charge all current RC batteries, mainly GP3300's for now.

2) Discharging ability since I don't want a light bulb soultion etc. but really need to keep the $$$ under 200 if at all possible. The Quasar Pro does discharging at 20 amp but I understand 30 amp is ideal... will I damage my batteries if I discharge at 20, and will discharging lead to damage to my Quasar Pro which some says it does?

3) The $200 should include the ability to use AC power. If that means the $200 includes a seperate DC power supply that is ok, but the AC/DC soultion in the Quasar Pro seems a good thing.

Any comments on the Quasar Pro, importance of discharging 3300's, and suggestions for why there might be a better choice?

Thanks...
Old 08-29-2003, 02:22 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I have 2 Reedys Quasar Pros for sale in perfect condition. I have original boxes and the directions for them. I'm looking to get 125 each for them.

I'm selling mainly because I run the new Yoke charger. If I didn't need to pay my checkbook back I wouldn't sell them. They do work well and do everything but run stock motors but at the cost of them they are a ton of bang for your dollar.

If interested you can PM me. I do take Paypal and will ship to US only. I'm wyd10 on Ebay and have perfect feedback rating if you would like to check.

Thanks
Brian
Old 08-29-2003, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Integy 16x7 Version 6. Charge, discharge and cycle. $200 brand new from Integy. Probably one of the best chargers out there.
Same company makes the Quasar PRO. But this one comes with backlight and a 5 year warranty.

www.integy.com

Later,
Old 08-30-2003, 05:16 AM
Tech Adept

here's what i did..

old AT computer powersupply - free
parts to mod the powersupply - less than USD$2
LRP Pulsar Competition - USD$169
Trinity Real Time 2.5 Discharge Tray - USD$39

the smile on my face, priceless!

not to mention you get lifetime warranty on the pulsar.. & it has never false peaked on me

also, you'll be able to discharge batteries and charge batteries at the same time. if you used the charger to discharge batteries, you can't charge batts at the same time. (altho some chargers does support that, most don't)
Old 08-30-2003, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would agree on the integy, great charger.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

I have to agree with Versa on this one, the LRP Competition is one nice charger and has NEVER false peaked on me. We had our Friday night races last night and two people had troubles with their Integys, one ended up dumping halfway through the main cause he did not notice the partial charge before setting car on track, the other one noticed and repeaked the pack. I have no idea what problems the folks are having with the Integys, never used one myself, but not one person at my track has a complaint for the LRP. I believe both folks that were having trouble were using the 16-5 Integy, not positive on that but pretty sure.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

2) Discharging ability since I don't want a light bulb soultion etc. but really need to keep the $$$ under 200 if at all possible. The Quasar Pro does discharging at 20 amp but I understand 30 amp is ideal... will I damage my batteries if I discharge at 20, and will discharging lead to damage to my Quasar Pro which some says it does?
Personally I never use my charger for discharging, Integy discharge tray to keep charger free for charging. Discharging at 20 amps will not hurt your batteries since we put more loads on them while racing. Discharging at 20 amps will not give you a good idea how that pack will perform, 30 amps is considered the sweet spot for discharging to get a good reference to how well the pack performs.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

since NiMhs do not develop memory & i see no need to discharge them at 20A or even 30A

because discharging them at such high amperes will only do one thing, heat them up..and as you all know heat is batteries no.1 enemy

the batts would have already heated up a lot when your racing your car, to further cook it in a 20A/30A discharger will only shorten it's useful lifespan.

my 2 ringgit
Old 08-30-2003, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Every cell builds up a memory. NIMH just dont do it as much or as quick. But leaving charge in the cells will start to deteriorate performance.
I charge at 6 amps,.03 peak, run the pack, discharge at 30 amps to 5.4 volts. Then store it or run it again later in the day.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Trinityracinnut
Every cell builds up a memory. NIMH just dont do it as much or as quick. But leaving charge in the cells will start to deteriorate performance.
I charge at 6 amps,.03 peak, run the pack, discharge at 30 amps to 5.4 volts. Then store it or run it again later in the day.
http://www.dansdata.com/gz011.htm

True memory only happens in sintered plate NiCd cells (which aren't necessarily the sort of NiCd you're using, and are of course completely different from any kind of NiMH cell)

What people nowadays call memory effect is a combination of two things.

One - cell aging. Batteries don't last forever. The older they get, the less capacity they have. Live with it.

Two - "voltage depression". Voltage depression is a problem with NiCd batteries and, according to some sources, also with NiMH, and it doesn't affect the battery capacity much at all. Rather, the battery voltage drops unusually quickly as it discharges. Gadgets that monitor their battery voltage therefore think the battery's flat earlier than they should. There may be lots of capacity left at the slightly depressed voltage, but the gadget doesn't know that and flashes its "low battery" warning.

and good luck to you, your supposed to store a little charge in NiMhs, and discharge/equalise it during race day, charge it and then race it as its hot off the charger.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool

Try the bulb discharger!!!! Don't discharger right after your race. But if you do not use your packs for a week or so, I find that cycling my packs the day before a race makes a huge change.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

I have a 16x9 and I've never had any problems with it...
Old 08-30-2003, 10:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

to all the pulsar competition users, do you guys use the discharge function of your pulsar? I read in almost all the threads that discharging at less than 20 or 30 amps hurts the cells. Some enlightenment please. Tanx

Jon.

Old 08-31-2003, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

No i dont use the discharge function on it. its too low and does hurt the cells if they are getting drawn at higher amperages such as a stocker doing 20 amps roughly.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

if ur gonna choose between integy charger and the quasar pro get the quasar juss because reedys customer service and warranty is better than integys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.